Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 342 of 376 FirstFirst ... 242292332340341342343344352 ... LastLast
Results 8,526 to 8,550 of 9381

RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

I could use a little help/information about the TF Corsair Giant Scale wing.
    I'm building one for a friend who got the kit from another who started it and gave up early in the process. I wish he would have never started it!
    My problem now is, this idiot/clown/whatever cut all the tabs off from the ribs. You know the ones that holds the wing in the proper alignment with the spar when it's flat on the building board. If anyone out there has the measurement of the length of tip ribs (T 7) tab it would be a great help. He took all the ribs out of the sheets, cut all the tabs off and threw away the sheets. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is able to provide.
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990
    RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when sex and drugs just taint enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Mike I asume you are talking about the outer panenls

First do you have the manual ? if you do go to page #16

Next are the ribs attached to the top spar? if not carefully put center lines on the ribs, if they are just put points on each end.
    Per the manual you will be building the panals upside down. So on the inbord rib pin it so that th c/l is at equal distance from the building board, then got to the tip rib and do the same, hear is ware it get a bit sticky (you have to plan in about 2deg's of washout ) this means the trailing edge end will have to be closer to the board. with out laying it out on the plans I can't tell you how mush but if my old notes are close it will be right at 1/8, then yo put a stright edge in line with the end points and assemble the rest of the ribs to match. Keep good notes so when you do the outher half it will be the same..

I have had computer crash and lost most of my build pic's so I can't help there.

Hope the above helps post pic's as you go with ?'s and I will try to give you what I know

Cheers Bob T

Thanks that's what I needed to know. The 2 deg washout and the 1/8" tab on the T7 TE.
    I built the tip panels with my wing jig and I set it up with incidence meters on each end. They are both dead on. Now I'm joining the center section to the tip panels and needed the measurement from the building board to the TE of the T 7 rib to get the 2 degrees of washout.
    Thanks again for your quick reply.
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After almost two years tomorrow is the day to fly it. I made quite a few changes to the airplane from the "instructions". If all goes well I will post some pics shortly, at any rate, I will definately not be doing another top flite kit of any kind ever again. I am not a master builder by any stretch, but this aint my first rodeo either. The top flite giant scale corsair is by far the poorest kit I have ever done, as far as instructions go. No problem with the parts, at least the ones that were cut, but there is a lot that is not cut. Calling the help number in the manual is a total waste of time. I think I am preaching to the choir as most of you fellows are way ahead of me so Ill stop. Any newbies wanting to build a warplane need to look elsewhere and save a lot of grief and frustration. Craig
    craig #67

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

empty weight came out to 28 lbs, did not have to add weight to the nose and it balances perfectly.
    craig #67

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike

On the center section if you are planning on gear doors and such, hear are a couple of things I learned . If you are going to use the robatr gear you will need to trim the gear rail ribs so that the rail is about 3/32 deper in thw wing and you will need to trim the pin in the gear ball so it is flush with the ball when it exteds so that it clears the upper surface. Next ithe wheel well side ribs it's best to make them from lite ply to suport hinges and door operating things, also those ribs need to be realigned to give you a right angle to the upper surface.
    One more thing I would add some C/F mesh to the main spar ware the gear lage goes thru.

Have fun with your build and build light

Cheers Bob T

Every onse you can shave out aft of the C/G is 2 to 6 onse's of extra nose wieght

Thanks for that information, but I'm not doing gear doors (thank god). I'm framing it up for a friend for money. Not enough money but I don't think I could have gotten any more out of it. Building RC planes for other people for money is NOT the road to fame & fortune but I do enjoy it so I guess it's OK. By the way the magic number was 400.
    Prolly going to work out to 2 bucks an hour and I don't have to cover it.
    (nobody ever said I was a fast builder)
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DaddySam,

So sorry to hear of the Corsair going in. No matter how many flights you have under your belt, the Corsair can be a humbling expierence for any pilot. I hope Gunnar ueses this as a learning expierence and does not let it keep him from trying other warbirds. I know how long the two of you worked on this project and it will take a while to have the urge to take on another. I love my aerobatic planes but there nothing like watching a warbird on that final turn for a low fast pass.
    GaryM
    Corsair Brotherhoodd # 50

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craig #67

Sorry to hear about your problems with the kit, I will say my frist one wwnt togather by just following the instructions and it flew great under power but with out power they are a brick. On my secound one I did a lot of modes both scale and just things I did not like, mostly to save wieght..
    Having said that I am an old builder and some things just work out, I did find that you had to read the whole book and reread the sections as you went and plan three to four steps ahead of whwt you were actualy doind .

I guess what I am saying I would not give up on T/F kits Just do more research befor you start

By the way I have not read if you have flown your bird.

Cheers Bob T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been trying to fly for two days now. Every time the sun gets behind me, about noon, it starts to rain and dribbles all afternoon. I wish I could give some of this moisture to the people in the midwest, we have more than enough. I am tired of mowing the field twice a week. Now we have a hurricane bringing more rain. Maybe the gods are trying to tell me something about flying this thing. 230 pm and its raining again. Finally get to clean up the shop, and its taken two days. Maybe tomorrow.
    craig #67

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and craig, any news about the weather?

there where some flying tips a few posts earlier and i can just say, that keeping enough speed is really an important thing. if you land her, better get an idea of the throttle setting and a good glide slope by making the final approach faster and make a few attempts to get familar with it.

i have measured the speeds with gps and the final is done with about 60 km/h! touchdown with 40-50. You fly her around with 100-200 km/h. sorry for you guys in the us for not talking in mph

have a good maiden flight and tell us how much you love that bird after it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,
    I helped rig a real FG-1D once.
    The owner did not believe the manual and the ailerons were very "snatchy" in flight with his guess-and-by-golly setting. Later the ailerons were rigged to the book, which as I recall was a static 18.5 degrees trailing edge up. I think it was because of the flexibility of the wooden structure of all Corsair ailerons that made a requirement for so much washout. In flight most ailerons are blown down, (I had to rig my Pitts Special with reflexed aileron static to get it rigged properly inflight).
    In any case I think a little aileron reflex would be a great idea for the model.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: craigcrumpler

After almost two years tomorrow is the day to fly it. I made quite a few changes to the airplane from the ''instructions''. If all goes well I will post some pics shortly, at any rate, I will definately not be doing another top flite kit of any kind ever again. I am not a master builder by any stretch, but this aint my first rodeo either. The top flite giant scale corsair is by far the poorest kit I have ever done, as far as instructions go. No problem with the parts, at least the ones that were cut, but there is a lot that is not cut. Calling the help number in the manual is a total waste of time.*I think I am preaching to the choir as most of you fellows are way ahead of me so Ill stop. Any newbies wanting to build a warplane need to look elsewhere and save a lot of grief and frustration. Craig
    Well...I don't know what to say, I built this kit five years ago, it was my first kit I ever built at this time, an I only built one Hanger 9 p51 ARF before my corsair,
    seriously, I didn't find this kit hard to build (you know, if it's too easy, where is the fun), sure i took some time but it really worth it, before starting this kit, I've read alot on this forum for having some clues on this plane, sure my plane is far from perfect, but shey still flying after all these years and shey's flying pretty well, yep, I had that tip stall, 2 times, but it was totaly my fault, full flap, no speed at all
    but it didn't discouraged me, I repaired it and corrected my landings(more speed...hey it's a war bird ), I really love this plane
    I've put an Evolution 58GX2 with a 24*8 prop, lots of power and great speed.

ORIGINAL: DaddySam

I guess I should say that I let my son maiden the plane. He is a good pilot but in retrospect there is a difference between being good and having enough experience to handle a plane like this. He is used to flying smaller planes and 30cc aerobats, and he did not know that he should have let it land, even if it meant rolling into the weeds at the end of the runway, or if going around, kept the wings level and gradually added power until stable flying speed was reached. I'm not saying I wouldn't have made the same mistake if I had been on the sticks, but we'll never know. It may or may not have been a tip stall. It was basically on the ground when he decided to go around again. It either tip stalled or the engine torque rolled the plane to the left when he added full throttle - I'm not sure. It had about a ten minute flight prior to this and flew great.
    I want to thank all of you for your kind words and wishes, as well as the incredible amount of information and advice I've received over the years from this forum and especially this thread. I have to say that the tricks I've learned on this thread will definitely be used again, but right now I don't have the desire to spend any more of our breif NW flying season in the workshop. I've had a couple inquiries on the tailwheel and exhaust and I'll think about it for a few more days before I decide. I have the parts to make some more tailwheels and have had some inquiries on making some more of those too, but to be frank I'm all out of Corsair juice right now.
    I was hoping to bring the plane to some of the warbird fly-ins but now I'll just work those days instead of taking them off.
    If there is any positive to this I can say that all the mods you guys recommended worked like a dream. The only thing I would do differently is to try to make it even lighter, but I'm not sure that's possible without substituting a lot of wood and substantially changing the design.
    Sam
    maybe you should reconsider repairing your plane, shey's so beautiful in the air

good luck

Fuse question.
    I've just finished building the wing of a TF GS Corsair and have moved on to the fuselage.
    I have a question concerning the initial start of the fuse build. The instructions say to pin the shaped balsa main fuse stringers onto the plan with the slot facing outward. My question is what is this 1/8" slot used for. I looked forward in the instructions and can't see what it's purpose in life is. It must have some purpose but I have no clue.
    How about a little info here, inquiring minds want to know.
    Thanks in advance
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike

I don't remember the 1/8 slot as discribed on page 23 but I do remember those 2 stringers have to follow the inside line on the dwg and double check the formers so that they are all facing fwd. Down the road a bit the slot may have somting to do with the upper half or the sheeting.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Cheers Bob T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike,
    Go to the directory its on pg.1,look on the wing & fuse section its the first one,meanwhile I'll Check the plans.

GEORGE
    CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
    Remember, Man\'\'s 2nd greatest adventure is FLYING, LANDING is his FIRST.

What page 1 of what directory are you referring to? The TF instruction manual or the RCU build thread? Can't find what you talking about.
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990

Ok, after a little more study of the plans (I put on my reading glasses) I can now see it's for a 1/8" X 1/4" stringer that runs full length down both sides in the mid point of the fuse in that slot. Looks like it's meant to be a starting point for the top & bottom fuse sheeting.
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike What George ment was. go to page 1 of this thread and there is a directory there . Tho is is a bit out of date it is still vary use full.

Cheers Bob T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,
    Thank you for all your help on this thread!
    It was great to get together for breakfast yesterday.
    Here's your photo! You look great!
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ro42046.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1799479  
    Scott: AMA L628, RCCA #108
    F4U 'Corsair' Brotherhood #49
    P-40 'Warhawk' Brotherhood #103
    P-47 'Jug' Brotherhood #124

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,
    Thank you for all your help on this thread!
    It was great to get together for breakfast yesterday.
    Here's your photo! You look great!
    Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ro42046.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1799480  
    Scott: AMA L628, RCCA #108
    F4U 'Corsair' Brotherhood #49
    P-40 'Warhawk' Brotherhood #103
    P-47 'Jug' Brotherhood #124

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man RT, 29 years old just keeps looking younger every day doesn't it??? Would have enjoyed some flapjacks with you guys....maybe next year at Fon du Lac...for RT's 30th birthday party.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks are realy decisiving And 29 again no thanks, well only if I knew what I no now it might work. Fon Du Lac would be fun wee will just have to see.

Cheers Bob T
    AMA13377

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would like to join the botherhood

Marc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

mmflytie

look back a few post and PM ctyflyboy aka George as he has the list and is realy good to deal with.

Cheers Bob T