Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 12:28 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

rt3232 No I don't that is all I have by what I have come up with so far it is from 1945 but that is all I know. Mine is in paint right now with the fuse almost done. Would like to know a bit more about it.

I will post some pics soon it is really coming out nice.

Randy
Old 01-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey guys I tried to mount my G-62 today (when my fingers could stand the cold) and thought I should have some kind of isolation mount or something. What have you guys done? What do yu suggest?

Oh, RCU please bring back spell chckr! I really need it too!

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
cimara

Hey Timothy did you look here at there on board cams ?http://www.blackwidowav.com/products.html
Old 01-20-2007, 11:18 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

David,
I'm using isolation mounts,

George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

yes forget circuit city. ill get those! the neat thing is I can get the lanfind light and the gun cam in the side of the outer panel without cutting skin
Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 AM
timothy thompson

anyone see a problem using two recievers and two tx. i have a 6 ch radio but the nav and formation lights from wingspan need an extra channel. I have an old fm set here that works its on a different freq so any help here!
Old 01-21-2007, 01:08 PM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Hey Timothy Thompson, how about a micro switch mounted near the retract servo so that when the gear are down the lights are on. You could then put a mini toggle switch on the plane to turn them off when you shut the plane down. Just a thought have seen this used many times before. This is one at Radio Shack Catalog #: 275-016 $2.69

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72925.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	603168  
Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
timothy thompson

thats exactly how i do all my landing lights. the other lights are on the whole flight so thats why im using a second reciever
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 PM
cimara

Timothy if the lights are on the hole flight why not just use a toggel switch in your axcess panel that you turn on before flight?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 PM
timothy thompson

because the wingspan system runs from the rx, I wish i could use a switch like that. I have sen two tx amd rx used and its ok if done correctly. it will give a old cirrus fm set new life and will only control the lights. landing light will be powered seperatly
Old 01-21-2007, 09:48 PM
cimara

Sorry Timothy but in wing spans product description they say this"
Navigation lights are the finishing touch on whatever you are building. Whether it is an airplane or helicopter the Navigation Lighting module can be set just right for it with the touch of a button. These are some of the brightest LED's on the market and come in all the necessary colors. The unit can be controlled by an on-off signal from a switch or by a servo channel. The navigation lighting controller consists of three ultra-bright LEDs one red, one green and one white. The driver can generate various flash patterns suitable for airplane and helicopter navigation lighting. Optional colored lens caps are also available "
Have they changed there product ?I was thinking of bying the controller but I dont want to use a rx channel to controll it.Not nocking you just confused
Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM
timothy thompson

i could cut the female plug off a batt and install a male. then the unit would plug into a batt and i could mount a switch. I really want control over the lights via radio so I think ill go with the secont tx and rx. if i get any glitching ill turn off the second tx. extensive ground testing will be done with entire aircraft done to insure no problems. I might go with an optic isolator or use ferrite rings
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Tim,

The ground is good. If you are going to use a second TX & RX "the ground is real good". If you want the control that's the only way I see to do it. I want the same control as you but I have a 9 CAP so that should make it a little easier I was thinking about using a servo ctrolled switch so I could use a 4.8V battery for the lights and a 6V battery for the other servos. What do you think? I've also thought about an isolator for the lights to reduce the current from 6V to 4.8V for that circuit. Is that possible?

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I hate to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong, but it looks like some of you are getting into some really serious power distribution/control issues.

Has anyone considered the use of a power expander to feed all this stuff? Or at least dual battery feeds into the rx for sufficient amperage capability?

This power supply stuff is a pretty hot topic in the Giant Scale/IMAC area and running out of sufficient power due to inadequate supply or distribution/wire size is a real consideration.

As for the ferrite rings, my research on the subject suggests they are of no value and I've only found anecdotal evidence of them working to prevent glitching problems.

On that 9C install, you have the 9th channel available in PCM mode as an off/on function only and I use it on my gassers for the fiber optic ignition kill switch, so I don't see why you couldn't use it for lighting.

Just a couple of thoughts for your consideration...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I have kind of a dumb question, but what would happen if you used a garage door opener to turn the lights on and off? I'm sure you could get a small switch for the lights and the range would be no problem just another small antenna inside the fuselage. Do you think this would work? If so it would be a lot less to carry and you could just have it hanging on your pants pocket. Just the size of a cigarette package. If it would work it would be a lot less of a hassle.

What ya think,

Gibbs
Old 01-22-2007, 07:41 PM
RCPILOT78

Well I finally got the bird finished and ready for minor goodies decals and hooking up the radio and retracts.....I was able to put it on the scale and she weighed in at................( 29 lbs ) thats with the G62 in the nose and 2-1/2 pounds of lead on the firewall...(((((( WHEEEEOOOOWWWWW ))))))) !!!!!!!!!thats not where I wanted to be.....and thats after drilling everything I could in the AS@ end!!!!!!!!remember you must balance with retracts in the up position.....My covering was World tex fabric a very light iron cloth and paint......nothing too elaborate.....and I still came out way over the published weight of 26 lbs....my wing loading will be in the neighborhood of 48-50 oz per square inch.....I am a little dissapointed with the outcome...how could Topflite expect one to come in at 26 lbs...even with a lighter engine you still have to add maybe 4lbs to bring it into CG...oh well looks like ( WHITEKNUCKLE LANDINGS ) with this bird....anyone have any comments on this...would appreciate some feedback RCPILOT78
Old 01-22-2007, 07:46 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys,

I have kind of a dumb question, but what would happen if you used a garage door opener to turn the lights on and off? I'm sure you could get a small switch for the lights and the range would be no problem just another small antenna inside the fuselage. Do you think this would work? If so it would be a lot less to carry and you could just have it hanging on your pants pocket. Just the size of a cigarette package. If it would work it would be a lot less of a hassle.

What ya think,

Gibbs
Old 01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
timothy thompson

im running a 6v 3000mah pack so power is no problem! i may run the lights from a second small 4.8v pack using the second reciecer. I have seen two recievers and two radios used before on mult function models, its a lot cheaper than a 9 ch radio
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
cimara

Well I guess I will put a helium ballon or two or three in mine if yours came in at 29 pounds .Did you do alot of scale mods to yours rcpilot.were is the axcel center line in relation to the le of the wing ?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:57 PM
cimara

Gibbs that would work fine but i would triple check for interferece before flight . Were would you get the rx garage doors are 120 v ac ?also if your near a military base you may have problems because garage door openers use some of the same freqences that the military uses .
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it's not so much a problem with the number of mah's you're running as it is the amperage for all that stuff. Max throughput on a single standard connector, i.e. the one from your battery to the rx is only 3.5 Amps. That's why a lot of the bigger stuff runs either dual redundant systems all the way to the rx, or a power expander which is usually fed by 18 ga. wires then distributed to the various servos etc.

Some of the battery manufacturers even offer dual output leads on batteries now to accomodate the higher amperage needed. I run dual redundant systems on my stuff so it doubles the available amperage plus insures system function should one of the switches, batteries or circuits fail for some reason. Switch failure being by far the most common of those possibilities. Some argue that redundant systems are not necessary until you get to 35% size or bigger, but having just avoided a disaster by finding a switch going bad on my 50cc size IMAC bird with a single battery, my new one's got two.

We all have to determine what works best for us and I tend to go somewhat overboard on this stuff, but it seems like a small price to pay when you're talking about how much money one of these models costs, let alone all the work...
Old 01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
RCPILOT78

NO not really...if you look back at my picture posts the only thing added was a detailed cockpit which I hand made out of very light material and the canopy outline frame out of light plastic.... the rest of it is the ((( STOCK AIPRLANE KIT ))) where did all the weight come from I really think Topflite is grossly wrong about the final weight...just think the builders who are doing glass with gear doors and all the goodies being added....I think we ought to be looking at whats going on with the build before adding any thing extra...unless I don't know what I am talking about and the plane can handle all this extra weight and still be a good flying machine...I am concerned about the retracts standing up to a grass field with a 30 lb load to support...thats another concern of mine....and again remember I drilled and lightened everything I possibly could without sacraficing strength.!!!!!!Topflite does not recommend doing that....again anyone who has experenced this corsair in flight with all that extra weight please lets have your feedback.....RCPILOT78
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
timothy thompson

is your scale calibrated? tf monokotes! with a g-62 most come out heavy look on rcwarbirds.com
Old 01-22-2007, 11:03 PM
RCPILOT78

Thanks........ I did look at rcwarbirds web site and there are several TF corsairs well into the 33 lb. class..
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 AM
D Bronk

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

im running a 6v 3000mah pack so power is no problem! i may run the lights from a second small 4.8v pack using the second reciecer. I have seen two recievers and two radios used before on mult function models, its a lot cheaper than a 9 ch radio

..Hey Tim !!..I`m still buildng my Lights I`ve got the fuse`s lights all operating.I started the cockpits Lights (SMTechnology).My Dashpanel is all lit up (back lights).These LEDs ,use so little power..I Turned on all the lights on my 1/8th Scale,the majority of the Diodes on full time.I used 4 AA Batteries(the throw aways) in a Holder for power .The lamps ran ,for 4 days solid(around the Clock) before they would not light anymore. 96 Hours !! For actual use in the air, I`ll use a common Toss away 9Volt Battery,you know with the male/female clips on the top,and I`ll step the Voltage down, to what the individual lamps need.Personally,I would rather the lights stop working ,than to kill the flight battery..Much better if the blinkers quit,than to Totally Destroy the plane, because you lose control in the Air,due to no power to the flight pack..I originally wanted to work the lights by Remote too,but my Futaba 7Chp still wasn`t enough Channels for what I have planned..I`m simply going to turn them on manually..After all ,the way I considered it for myself ,was, I still have to walk up to the plane, to turn on the main power switch ,for the flight system ,and I still have to walk up to the plane, to put the starter to the engine. So I`m just going to manually turn the lights on at that time.My landing Light ,will be Switched by the operation of the Landing Gear..I can`t see anyone thinking less of you ,for not having these Remote operated.

..But if you Insist on Remote operation of the lights ,you can do it with infared Remote ..You know a TV or Sattelite Receiver,remote.It will give you LOTS of Channels..You`ll have to do the Research on How.But it can be done.Range will be whatever the reciever Diode with a Clear shot (view) is limited to.I`ll see if I can find a link ,to give you an idea..You`ll most likely need ,to build your own control board though,and Assign the various lights their own channels..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.