Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 AM
ya33a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,
You could set up a 'Free' Drop box account and put the large picture files in there and one of the friendly computer savvy people here could offer to make them smaller for you. And save them back there for you. All you have to do is send them the link to the original file.....Umm.......
Open each picture on your PC/Laptop/Mac and on the top row there should be a couple of drop downs, pick one which says 'resize' and make the pictures 25% of the size they currently are... Don't save them yet, then go to the far Left corner and 'Click' ... 'Save As' and change the name to Cub picture 2 or what ever works, that way the 'original' stays the same and a 'copy' is a smaller size.... Happy to help out if you want.
Andrew
Old 08-31-2016, 02:53 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phakur
Thanks for the info Bob--Having learned while building the 60-90 size P47 I haven't started sheeting at all.

I understand about the elevators not exactly sure what you meant about stacking the rudder/tail wheel, a pic would really help.

Did you run the wires before sheeting? Did they clear all the formers OK?

Thanks for the help-

Larry
I put the stab and vertical on the fame and pre fitted the elevator's and rudder using a single piano wire for hinge pins so they were easy to remove if needed. my rudder servo is in the center and the tail wheel steering servo is just forward so it is mounted on higher on blocks so the wires clear when the go slack as the tail wheel retracts : ie stacked. and yes I ran everything before sheeting, some of my servo wiring is in the void between the box frame and the sheeting, I make all of my wiring so I don't have to use extensions and such. to keep my wiring from chaffing as needed I put a glob of hot glue on the part and before it setsi lay the wire on and add a bit more hot glue.

Hope this helps OH did not find a picture to post

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair brotherhood #6
Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I wonder, would a DA 100 fit this plane?
Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 AM
rt3232

it would but you would have to mode the cowl, and you would have to fly it at 1/4 throtal to keep from plulling the wings off

cheers Bob t
Old 09-22-2016, 05:12 AM
acdii

Well I think I found a candidate for the DA100, the Rascal 168.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 PM
rt3232

Acdii

That a great choice one of our club member has or had one I am not sure as this flying season has been real sparse for me

Cheers Bob t
Old 09-26-2016, 10:02 AM
rltrahan
My Feedback: (128)

I ordered a top flite gold edition giant corsair cowl from fiberglass specialties for the same top flite plane the giant corsair arf and the cowl is way bigger then the one on the arf. Have any of you guys had this problem recently and I say recently because this wasn't a problem 4 years when I did the same thing then, ordered their kit cowl for the arf. I contacted fiberglass specialties and they said they don't make it for the arf which I know and its always been as its only listed under the kit. I ordered it 4 years ago which there was no problem fitting then. So I can only guess that either fiber glass specialties gave me the wrong cowl or top flite is now making their giant corsair arf with different specifications. Was it just a total fluke that it fit 4 years ago, anybody know anything on this?

Here's pictures of comparing both which over the obvious fact that the cowl flaps are open on the FS one the stock one drops inside the other with a ton of room around the entire piece. There is almost 3/8 to half an inch space in between the stock when inside the FS one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_145959.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2182957   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160925_150016.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2182958  
Old 09-26-2016, 10:52 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There may have been a mix up of stock at FS and by mistake they sent you the cowl for the Nick Ziroli 93" WS Corsair.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:05 PM
rltrahan

Thank you for the reply ForcesR, that's what I thought and I asked Craig today at fiberglass specialties if in fact they maybe did something like that and he insisted that the top flite kit is different dimension then the arf. To me it was made very obvious he wasn't willing to help me rectify it. I received this cowl with in a week making it clear it came off of his shelf and not something he had just manufactured so it could have easily been mislabeled. I told him I had bought the same cowl 4 years ago and used it on the same arf and his reply to me was nothing to help me out but to only cover his butt by only telling me that the last order he could find me doing in the past with him was back in 2011. So rather than investigating if maybe he made a mistake he went out of his way to find a reason to discredit me. Weather it fits or not I'm stuck with it and it is very obvious that Craig at fiberglass specialties doesn't care about customer service is very unprofessional to their customers and only care about what's in their wallet. I would have been happy with a discussion between two men in the hobby and some what of an intension and purpose to help out his customers but that's obviously not the desire or intent there!

Sorry to vent to you but I'm a 100% disabled veteran and gave 20 years of my life to professionalism and serving others. Im pretty ticked off that I defended people like this so that they could have their business in this country of opportunity just to crap on their customers to save a buck, very disappointed fiberglassspecialties!

Last edited by rltrahan; 09-26-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: adding to my thoughts
Old 09-26-2016, 03:55 PM
acdii

Well I was considering buying a cowl from them, but after hearing this, nope, not going to do it. I will make my own damned cowl before I consider them now.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:01 PM
rltrahan

Hi acdii, I don't know why the guy at fiberglass specialties responded the way he did but his first response was a way of saying "you bought what you bought and if its doesn't work for you no matter who's fault to bad its not our problem". His first email to me was literally "sorry we don't accept returns after purchase" and he gave no attempt in helping to find a resolution! His second email was information on the measurements of his cowl versus the stock arf cowl and it was my fault for not knowing that! If this guy Craig had any defense for his actions then all that has to be said is if he knows this that his kit version of the cowl doesn't fit the arf then why doesn't he advertise that? It takes a minute to edit, I know, I run a website so it begs to question what is his real intent? If anyone is buying from him understand if you get shafted your eating the cost and he will take no responsibility.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM
acdii

For me first and foremost is customer service. If you don't have good CS, then I wont do business with you. I am very picky with whoom I spend my money with, and if I am treated well, then I am a return customer, but screw me once, and you will never see me again. A company with a zero return policy also gets passed by, just in case. I have ordered things that were not as advertised, or like you bought something once, found it to be exactly what I needed, order another one and it was nothing like the first.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:30 PM
rltrahan

I will take the blame that I should have known better when I seen his zero return policy but thought I would take the chance since I ordered from him in the past, lesson learned! Now I have a big fancy fiberglass accessories/misc bowl in the shape of a corsair cowl!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:26 AM
rt3232

Hi guys I am with you on customer service it has been a few years sense I have bought any thing from F/Glass specialties, but because I am not an on line order person , I call and talk to who ever with the dimensions I am looking for and cowl depth : ie firewall dia & depth, and so far that das led to a good relationship. but if they do have a NO return policy, next time I will be a bit more cautious

Just saying

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood #6
Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 AM
ya33a

Hi,
I find this interesting, there is a market for a 'copy' or a reproduction cowl to suit the ARF yet no one is willing to supply one? There's a business opportunity if I've ever seen one, anyone with a bit of F'Glass experience could take a few orders from the forum and knock out half a dozen or so and then there would be a market with a reliable supplier... possibly?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:03 AM
rltrahan

Morning rt3232, like you guys said I should have taking more caution being that FG spec has a no return policy but my experience with the same cowl 4 years earlier that worked perfect led me to believe I was good to go in getting it with out worry. Granted I bought that cowl from a reputable hobbyist on RCU who had the F4U open cowl version as well as the F4U-4 version and said he bought it from FG spec I did not originally by it directly from FG spec. I don't think the guy I got it from could have gotten it from anywhere else and if he did I sure would like to know where he got it!

ya33a, In my experience glassing sheeted wood is not to difficult as long as you do it the right way from the start and one can get really good at it if you follow the teaching experience from those who have done it for awhile. That being said knowing guys that have done fiberglass castings from molds is a another challenge in its self and does take some certain amount of experience and skill. Just making an accurate mold for the model its self is a good amount of work on something like a cowl but if someone wanted to take that on then there would definitely be a lot of happy guys in this community!
Old 09-28-2016, 02:47 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

The 100 seems a bit much.
A friend of mine has a 3w75, which used to be mine. Thinking of using that and a 3 blade.
Anyone tried that?
I see there is a youtube video of one with a da85.

Tony
Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by ya33a
Hi,
I find this interesting, there is a market for a 'copy' or a reproduction cowl to suit the ARF yet no one is willing to supply one? There's a business opportunity if I've ever seen one, anyone with a bit of F'Glass experience could take a few orders from the forum and knock out half a dozen or so and then there would be a market with a reliable supplier... possibly?

I have made a few molds that came out pretty good. The trick is to have one of the actual cowls to make the mold from, and there is a risk of damaging the original cowl when separating it from the mold if the mold release isn't 100% covered. I have a mold for the Goldberg Super Chipmunk, and the Top Flight P-51 kit(not the ARF). I can modify the kit one to work on the ARF, but will need to make a new mold to make it correct. It takes about a week to make a mold start to finish, the most of that time is spent prepping the plug since you need to apply several coats of mold release wax to it, let it harden and buff it out. Once the plug is ready, takes about a day to make the actual mold.

The real challenge of an ARF cowl is the gel coating used. They paint the mold then make the part so it comes out all ready to install.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:41 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

I can't believe it .
Going on 2 months and not a single post.
no one building.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 AM
acdii

I'm building, just not the Corsair. Someday I will get back to it when I get the hankering for the smell of Clear Coat. It needs final painting.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:05 AM
rt3232

Originally Posted by ctflyboy
I can't believe it .
Going on 2 months and not a single post.
no one building.
Well George, the flying season is about over so maybe as the guys get back into building we will see more activity.

I still have to finish my paint job on mine, been dealing with an cochlear inplant the up set my meiners thingy and still trying to work part time getting old is the pits

Cheers Bob T
Corsair Brother hood #6
AMA 13377
Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM
ibow24
My Feedback: (10)

Hello everyone still following this build thread!
This past weekend I got back into the shop. Dusted everything off and tried to figure out where I left off.
The Corsair sat idle most of the summer but now it's time to get back to building.

Steve
Old 11-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I wonder when I last posted in this thread. Possibly four years ago, maybe once or twice since. But I got the Corsair back off the shelf again, so we'll see how far I get this time.

Quick question and this isn't specific to the Corsair but a build question in general, in lots of build pictures I can see that the surface of the balsa is either grey or red from something being applied. I presume this is a filler, but is that a smeared on putty type filler or something sprayed on like a high-build primer? Any products you guys recommend for that and how/when it's applied? Looking at chandley's videos is what prompted me to ask, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHUftn5xHMI

Also great idea on the manila folder paper for the access hatches in that video. So simple, but adds so much depth.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:57 PM
acdii

I use both body putty and high build primer. The body putty is to fill the low spots and the primer to fill the weave. After glassing I apply a couple coats of primer, wet sand smooth then hit the low spots and cracks with putty, wet sand smooth and a final coat of primer and wet sand smooth, then paint.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the reply...understand what you're referring to, but I'm even talking about builders using primer and/or putty before glassing. Since it's on bare wood at that point, was curious why the use of the putty or primer over wood putty or balsa filler, etc.

Don't get me wrong though, I HATE those balsa fillers like balsarite. Would welcome a better product.

Last edited by Auburn02; 11-23-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.