Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

TJ

That build looks great, But being an old duffer and new to scale,please tell me how you did the wing pnl's it looks like you sheeted over a base sheeting?? also are you going to close off the hinge lines on the tail feathers?.

Bob
Old 10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
rt3232

Hay RC

How about some pic's

Cimara

That tri stock is good, and it looks like your are doing great, the only thing I can add is when building that center section do both sides at the same time so you know it is straight and square, and if your are planning on gear doors be sure to put dummy ply ribbs for the door hinges, and make them parallel to the strut swing axis, both fwd/aft and up/down. Hope this is not confusing.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob whats a good way to hold the center section while gluing if I do both sides at once? That prop is realy close to the cowl may have to rethink this scoop idea. ordered a new g62 today got tired of looking for a good used one wasnt going to save that mutch this way I know it will run when I get it
Old 10-24-2006, 07:58 PM
splitzed

Hi Bob thanks for the compliment, yes I sheeted the area around the wing tip panels with 2 layers I started with 1/16th on the base and then 1/32 on top of that to make up the 3/32nd sheeting then used 1/16th by 3/32nd for the ribs and just glued them on to the 1/16th sheeting and then sanded them down a bit.

I havent decided how to cover this part yet I will either glass over it or use sig koverall over the ribbed area then glass up to the edge of the koverall. Any Ideas on that?

I'm not sure I follow you on the tail feather question? do you mean sealing the hinge gap with tape?? if so no I will not.

as I was following this thread I was looking forward to your maidan too bad about your engine troubles hows the weather where you are any chance of a flight before you wrap it up for the winter??

Thanks TJ

heres a couple more pics of the tail
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56405.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	547449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98339.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	547450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67208.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	547451  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
cimara

Thanks Tj the cowl is from fiberglass specialties part #TF-20B the one with the open vents the also have a closed vent cowl heres the sight http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/newprod.htm. The sliding canopy idea i got from this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...35/key_/tm.htm starts on post 854 it helps a lot still a pain though. The chin scoop was sculpted from modling clay then i made a plaster cast then a resin positive to the cast .I then fixed all the imperfections I could find with bondo sanded it smooth then primed . finally I covered it in mold release use plenty I thought I would never get the scoop off . Then I painted a thin film of resin applied 3/4 once glass then more resin then a layer of the thick fiber glass you can get at walmart dont know the weight of that glass. then more resin then a fine layer of 3/4 fiberglass hope this made since . did you aerofoil the tail section it looks great if so how did you do yours?heres some pics if you want a scoop sorry i didnt think to take pics of all i did on it. not sure if the scoop is going to work thought if you look at the pics Bob put up it will get in the way of the prop

Name:	Vt57162.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	547479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61101.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	547480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46509.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	547481  
Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
rt3232

Cimara
What I meant was to build from spar fwd R/L and square, then you will have to stand it on L/E use a level to get spar level end to end and top to bottom and bild from there. Good plan on the engine, Do you plan on using a jump start or going with a CDI system?? I have the J/S system and it makes for easy starting, and from what I have read in the Gas engine forem and seen the CDI system is also easy starting. That scop you have made don' t look bad at all..

TJ
Thanks for the info, I have saved your pics and copied your post to my ref/file.so I think I can copy.. You might want to take a look at this thread (Royal .60 Project) dion did a similar thing. lots of outher good ideas in there to.. Ya I got all the gremlins worked out on the 62 so hope every thing goes smoth when I get to go..

The weather is still in the dumper wind and possible rain till fri this week sat just wind, so if the wind lets up will try for sunday.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
splitzed

Cimara, thanks for the cowl info. No I didn't Airfoil the tail as I was concerned about getting the incedence correct I built the tail feathers as per the plans except that I carved out the leading edge of the elevator and rudder to get the scale look under the cloth

Bob , Yeah I've checked out Dions site lots of good info there!
Old 10-24-2006, 09:41 PM
cimara

Bob ill probably use the jump start system i like my fingers just were they are lol .was going to use the spring starter but after all i ve read on that device it i dont think so back to the good old chicken stick and the jump start sys to make it easier.bought one of those angel pro incidence meter just to double check this wing as i build it . curious do they make longer prop hubs for the 62
Old 10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Its me again
<snip>
Zeeb

You say you are colecting parts, Do you have a date when you might start? and are you going to make any of the scale mods? if so which ones? as you can tell I am a noise old duffer.

Cheers Bob
Bob,

No start date for sure. I've still got to gather up a few more things and being retired now it takes longer than it used to...

Tower shipped my main gear today! But I've still got to get the rest of the landing gear and from what little experience I have so far with Duralite Li-Ion batteries, I think I'll go ahead and use those in a redundant configuration with a SmartFly power box for the regulators and fiber optic cutoff switch. Then it's just the miscellaneous hardware as I've got the servos, arms and rx for it as well as the ZDZ engine and muffler. I may have to get with Kelvin on that exhaust, depends on how things go since it's been a VERY LONG TIME since I put a kit together. My skills and patience may not be up to snuff for very much detail and I'd hate to get so much work into it I didn't dare fly the thing...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:50 PM
cimara

Bob Ive been working on hiding the hinge line like in dions thread but I cant get it to work when the hings are hidden the rudder/ elevators dont have enough travel
Old 10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
cimara

hey check this sight out its a war time vid of how to flight the corsair . The full size corsair tries to snap to the left just like the models do thought it cool the behavoirs of the topflight model and the vaught corsair are so similar http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/F4U.html
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM
rt3232

Cimara

About the hinge line, if you assume the width of the front of the moving surface is 1/2"in with a 1/2 radious, the hinge pin MUST be at the center,and the closer fairing from the fixed part has to end just short of a perpendicular center line through the hinge pin. when you are working in the bare bones the moving surface will probably a tad thinner to clear for movement. As I don't have a scannerI will try to post a pic of a sketch that I made.

Have to go find it

Cheers Bob
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM
rt3232

Cimara
Found the sketch, you have to notch for hinge travel or use a dremel tool to provide clearance. I did not find Dion's thread till after I had covered the elevators, but on my next scale bird I will take the time to do them this way.

Zeeb
When you start going to the new type of batteries you are getting out of my leg, but from what I have read I don't know if they are worth the trouble, unless you all ready have them and the charger.

Cheers Bob

Name:	Mk26099.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	547811  
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Zeeb

Zeeb
When you start going to the new type of batteries you are getting out of my leg, but from what I have read I don't know if they are worth the trouble, unless you all ready have them and the charger.

Cheers Bob
Well there are two types of Lithium battery compounds; lithium ion and lithium polymer. Li-Poly is used in electric powered stuff for it's high continuous discharge capabilities but it is the most volatile of the two and requires much more care in handling them. Li-Ion is the same stuff used in your cell phone and is much more stable but does not have the continuous discharge capacity to run electric powered models. It has more than enough capability for powering the electronics/servos in a gas or nitro powered model.

The big advantage is weight, I can have two 2 cell Li-Ion's at 2000mah each for half the weight of one Ni-CD 5 cell 2500mah, or if you were so inclined you could use two 2 cell Li-Ions at 1000mah each for a third the weight of the Ni-CD. I'm at 4500 ASL and folks who live at or near SL just don't have any idea what the altitude does to engine performance and flight characteristics, so weight is always a concern here. Then there is the size advantage, the 5 cell Ni-CD is a whole bunch bigger limiting battery placement locations.

The big disadvantage is cost... [X(]

And yes, I have the chargers for both battery types as my IMAC models now run Li-Ion and my foamies use the Li-Poly.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
rt3232

Zeeb

If you are planning on a G-62 you might give RCIGN aka Ralf a call @ 928-635-2455 he is the fellow that makes the CDI's and works some kind of magic on them to out perform a stock one, I don't think you will lose much at your ASL, as the foks in the denver CO area say much except it just takes longer to get off the ground.
I don't remember you saying if you intended to add some of the scale mods, or how mush you were going to do in departing from the plans.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Zeeb

Bob,

Thanks for the thought. Ralph has a pretty good reputation over on the gas engine forum for his mods and lots of folks like them, but my other gassers have ZDZ engines and the Corsair won't be an exception. It will in fact require some good throttle management. As for scale deviations, I'll see as I get to each area but the only for sure thing I can say right now is that it's got to have gear doors!
Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
cimara

Thanks Bob for the pic I know now what I am doing wrong you got to recess the hing into the leading edge of the elevator
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
rt3232

Cimara You got it now

Bob
Old 10-25-2006, 08:35 PM
cimara

Yes thanks BOB .Whats a good whey to check for twist int the center section my incidence meter is to small Ill have to order a longer bar . I have a very flat steel tabel could I just check for a rocking motion with the 3/4 inch blooks under R1
Old 10-26-2006, 07:26 AM
rt3232

Good morning Cimara

About twist follow the book pg. step 15 thru 18, but I checked all ribbs by drawing a center line and then checking the die cut surface that mounts to the sparand sanded as necessary.
Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Old 10-26-2006, 07:53 PM
cimara

Thanks Bob helped a lot .Got the Three sections built just got to add the diagonals bracing . Was not as bad as thought it was going to be .Found the bar I Needed it shipped in a seperate box.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
cimara

Hay RC

How about some pic's

Cimara

That tri stock is good, and it looks like your are doing great, the only thing I can add is when building that center section do both sides at the same time so you know it is straight and square, and if your are planning on gear doors be sure to put dummy ply ribbs for the door hinges, and make them parallel to the strut swing axis, both fwd/aft and up/down. Hope this is not confusing.

Cheers Bob

Is this what you meant by dummy ply ribs Bob the pic is one posted earlier in the thread

Name:	Lj23997.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	548823  
Old 10-27-2006, 07:38 AM
rt3232

Hi Cimara

Yes thats it, and from the pic it looks llike you have them set at about the right angles, vary nice work, now before you cover that area What kind of hinges are planning on?? as you may want to add a doubler on the back side to suport screws.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 AM
rt3232

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Bob,

Thanks for the thought. Ralph has a pretty good reputation over on the gas engine forum for his mods and lots of folks like them, but my other gassers have ZDZ engines and the Corsair won't be an exception. It will in fact require some good throttle management. As for scale deviations, I'll see as I get to each area but the only for sure thing I can say right now is that it's got to have gear doors!

Zeeb

I think you choice of engine is exelent its just that except for the Toledo show and the adds I have never seen one. So would you mind posting some info, prop size rpm's weight etc, and I will go to the gas form to learn some more, I hate putting my foot in my moth.

Cheers Bob
Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
RCPILOT78

well I just finished sheeting the wing and added the wing tips...I remember somewhere in the prior posts someone mentioned that the tips are not scale like..can anyone out there elaborate on what I can do to get them a little more scale in appearance...I thought someone mentioned a post that explained how to reshape the tips...??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.