Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey Tom,

That's great! I couldn't of asked for more. It's plenty. Thank you so much! I can copy it now and I will spread the guide posts out for more support. How far in a 3 13/16" center to center well opening would you put them. My wheels are 3 1/4" instead of 3 1/2" like you are using. What hinges did you use and where did you get them? Is there a part number I will need to get the same ones? I've tried other hinges and they just don't work. What size wire did you use? Wow to many questions.

Thanks,

Barry
Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NCIS

Hey Tom,

That's great! I couldn't of asked for more. It's plenty. Thank you so much! I can copy it now and I will spread the guide posts out for more support. How far in a 3 13/16" center to center well opening would you put them. My wheels are 3 1/4" instead of 3 1/2" like you are using. What hinges did you use and where did you get them? Is there a part number I will need to get the same ones? I've tried other hinges and they just don't work. What size wire did you use? Wow to many questions.

Thanks,

Barry

If you want to follow this discussion, look here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5514717

Tom
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
ben888

i am interested in building a large scale f4u corsair and i want to make it as close to scale as i can which plan is the best i am looking at the nick ziroli, and brian taylor, and marutaka. i would like if the wood was laser cut. but i would rather have the best plan.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Ben888,

I've built a Ziroli P-51 before and I have a B-25 waiting in the garage for me. Both my kits were cut by Jesse at Laserlizard in Texas. I think Nick Ziroli's planes are very scale and would choose them again. I don't know much about the Taylor's except for what I've read, they seem to be a good choice also. I'm building a TF GS Corcair right now. It's not 100% scale but with some of the mods in this and other forums it's pretty close. My next Corsair will be a Don Smith Plans 120" one with folding wings. It looked very scale to me and Jesse said he could cut either the 100" or the 120" version. Good luck on your build, no matter what you choose. If I can help in any way just let me know.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 AM
ben888

does the don smith plan include how to make the folding wings, or are you just going to add the folding wings to the plans?
also im wondering how much it costs to get plans laser cut.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Tomcat_104

The Don Smith plans do not show the folding wing. I am going to add that to the plane. Call Jesse for a price on the laser cutting. He may have the Ziroli or Taylor kit in stock. He told me the Don Smith 120" would take a little longer since he had never cut one. He has done many planes for me. I have found him to be very reasonable and pretty quick....... once I make up my mind. This is his link;[link=http://www.laserlizard.com]Laserlizard[/link]
Old 03-06-2007, 07:57 PM
ben888

does anybody know where i can bombs for a 1/6 scale corsair or plans for one?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
cimara

Try here Ben http://www.bvmjets.com/Accessories/bombs.htm .David lazer lizard looks great does he sell full kits if not were do you get your sheathing .He even has a 150% zeroli wonder how big a wing span that would be
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Tomcat_104

That 150% ziroli was a special cut. It was cut from a 93" (or so) kit. He only cuts short kits, I get my sticks, planks, and sheating from National Balsa. They have always been very reliable and their prices are pretty good. That kit had a 149.5" wingspan if I remember correctly, it would definetly be a builders kit at 150%. I'm waiting on the Don Smith plans right now and will have Laserlizard cut the short kit for me. I've bought a lot of balsa from National over the years and I made 1 mistake which they made good even though it was my mistake.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Guys, **** FLITE METAL****
Got a couple of Pms on how I did the "Flite Metal" Its really nice material to work with, after reading all the info that I got with the product, they suggest you try it on a scrap piece,and I'll vouch for that. I was a little intimidated at first, but once I got the feel for what I was doing it turned out quite easy,and besides LIKE THE SAYING GOES"Columbus took a chance".Flite metal is a very soft aluminum with an adhesive backing, after you get your pieces laid out what I did was transfer them to the product using a pencil, take your trusty xacto knife and cut it out, peel off the protective paper backing and apply to the model, I used my index finger to smooth it out working from the center out. I did have trouble cutting the radius on some of the pieces, so I took a circle template and a large T pin(be sure its a sharp one)and positioned the template in place and scored the aluminum lightly and applying more pressure till I was through the aluminum,then took scissors to trim up and scragly edges.
WHEN DRAWING FULL CIRCLE(LIKE THE FUEL TANK COVER) I used a compass set I also put a few small pieces of tape in the center to protect the center from any pin holes. what I found out to be the perfect tool for drawing the large circle was the ink attachment that comes with many compass sets. I took some #600 sandpaper and sharpened the part that would come in contact with the flite metal both sides. you need to get it sharp to score the metal,it took several rotation of the compass to go through it,and if you use this method you need to secure the compass in its width to keep from moving. peel off the backing and apply. if you plan on doing rivets I used the same method that I posted earlier. If anyone has question feel free to PM me.
George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1

Old 03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Good points George!

I fiddled with the alum tape myself & i read some info on how to apply. I foud it easier to "tape out" the shape on the surface to be applied to> cut a larger piece>place>cut to the shape>remove the cut excess with the initially placed tape.

Hey Ben, for the bombs try this:
http://www.vikingcockpits.com/Product%20Catalogue.htm

V.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:32 PM
cimara

Vasek those bombs look so mutch better than the bvm bombs
Old 03-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that website has a VBA trojan virus in it. it is : VBS/Psyme
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
cimara

Alright guys need your opinion .If you think its crap plz let me know so i can fix it. thats why i posted the video .Its not very smooth operation and i cant figure out why that is .heres the link http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....60b834215b46fd
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

The doors look good but I would get it a little smoother. If it went that slow you would need to start putting the gear down as soon as they were up. Don't get me wrong it looks way better than mine, I am too stupid I did not even attempt to put doors on mine.

Corsair brotherhood #8
Old 03-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

if possible speed up the down sequence but slow the up.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your air pressure looks like it may have been a little low. and like Pete advised speed up the down cycle and slow up the up

Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
cimara

Guys you think i need to change the valve from a robart to mabie an up1 . It wont help the doors since the closing mech is mecanical but it might help the control of the gear .Or mabie I need to lose those heavy wheels when I fly and just use them for show
Old 03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
SMUGator

Does it behave differently when the wing is right-side-up?

Tom
Old 03-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Turning it right side up will change the dynamics a bit due to the weight of the components including the wheels which are pretty nifty bye the way, but those weights/loads are going to be insignificant compared to the air loads the gear will see during flight.

All full scale aircraft have max operating speeds for landing gear and flap deployment due to those loads, and something like the Corsair which has that main wheel rotating broadside into the slip stream will create a much larger load than say the gear on a P-51.

Just something to consider as I think that the air pressure required for flight operation will cause the gear to cycle more quickly on the ground than they will in flight.

JMHO...
Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Tomcat_104

Tom brings up a good point. My 60 size (which did not have doors) wouldn't work right for weeks, then I turned it right side up and after an hour of adjustment it worked fine. I probably made 1/20th of the total adjustments after it was right side up. I built a GS Mustang and the adjustment time was less than 30 minutes. But it was all right side up.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM
cimara

YAll are right turning it upside down helps .i also need weaker springs. is this better? the video is with out springs. I will have to put them in for the wind load during flight
http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....0dab21fdd969c0
Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

most definitely get a UP valve
Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
timothy thompson

is the pic on
Old 03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
timothy thompson

is the pic on
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52431.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	638591  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.