Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Cliff your corsair looked great but now you have me afraid to fly mine []
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM
RCPILOT78

thanks Zeeb .I will use the throttle up approach that I use on all my warbirds it works the best I know you just have to catch the flare at the right time to avoid the bounce.and your right if the bounce occures blip the throttle to overcome.. I have experienced that type of landing with my Hangar 9 corsair its a little heavier than the stock one since I added detail and remember there are no flaps on it..it will bounce the same way and end up flipped over and it will also drop the right wing just like the one in the video....I guess even though it is a small lighter plane than the GS..it is still subject to its own wing loading all relavent I guess....I am going to Maiden tomorrow I will post the results...RCPILOT78
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
cliff600
My Feedback: (3)

Cimara, Don't be affraid. This was all my fault, the plane flew beauitfully. Have you never seen anyone land a plane and have some difficulty before?? You will do fine just land with some speed
Old 03-28-2007, 04:07 PM
RCPILOT78

CLIFF..I watched the video and it look beautiful until it touched down...Is that a result of you slowing down too much ?????? If you carried a little more throttle whould that not have happened....Its hard to tell from the video how much speed in the flare .....close up videos always make it look like your at 100 mph.. in the approach.....RCPILOT78
Old 03-28-2007, 05:29 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys

RC
I ment one click more pwr, how I did my first bird was to check my idle rpm then add clicks to get about 500 to 750 more and that realy helped, and you are right on when you say you have to flyit to get a feel for it ( I only got 6 landings on my first bird doe to engime failure). So I am only saying what I found..

Zeeb you are right on
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

got to keep the nose down at 33% power then flair. you stalled and got in ground effect which momentarily saved you. once the wheels hit ground you should have slowly given power. why are you not using flaps they allow for steeper approaches with no increase in airspeed look like you really tore the gear up
Old 03-28-2007, 05:57 PM
cimara

Cliff i didnt mean to say that your skills or your plane was falty sorry for that impression .It looked great and flew great.What i meant to say i have alot of work in this thing and it would kill me to see it on its back with its legs up in the the air But i will fly it even with the nightmares i will have the night before .I am glad she will fly again next weekend Good luck
Old 03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
timothy thompson

also not a dig but the large stars and bars go to the wing and the smaller set is for the fuse, if they are mylar you can fix it. That nose must stay down all the way on base turn onto final. throttle controls altitude elev pitch. why are your flaps not down. these are not h-9 birds they are heavy and fly differently. you know how to fly just a steeper approach with FLAPS
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
cliff600

Cimara you will do fine. I did not know what to expect and I was very happy with what I got. Just land with some speed. Flaps MIGHT have helped, but it may have hindered too. I do not plan on using them.

I don't really care about the stickers, If you noticed the number is 210 I don't know if that was a real number or not, but our daughter was born very near the end of this build for me and she weighed 2 lbs. 10 oz. so I just wanted it to look good for flying. I am not a scale builder, not yet anyhow
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
RCPILOT78

cliff...was the problem not enough speed .....or..... too much speed or...... did you miss judge the flare and hit kind of hard .......that seemed like a rather high bounce ?????? I am goin to maiden in the morning and I need to know what to expect..thanks RCPILOT78
Old 03-28-2007, 10:23 PM
splitzed

Hi rcpilot78, best of luck on your maiden tommorrow, are you planning on having someone video the flight? sounds like you're getting lots of sound advice, sorry i cant add any myself as I am still a beginner pilot, it will definetly be awhile before I attempt to fly mine, I still need lots of warbird practice, I checked your profile looks like you've got plenty of experience, just remember to breathe!! cant wait to hear how she flys

Trevor
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
RCPILOT78

SPLITZED....I am not sure If I will video.this one ....I will video later....so everyone can see the flight...I will however cretique the flight give advice as needed I shouldn't have any problems I have flown many warbirds both GS and smaller will keep you posted RCPILOT78
Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
timothy thompson

KEEP THE POWER UN TO 1/3 THROTTLE TILL YOU MAKE THE OUTER MARKER THEN SL,OWLY CUT BACK AND SLOWLY PULL BACK . wHEN THE MAIN WHEELS TOUCH THAT ELEV SHOULD BE FULL BACK. fLAPS ARE A MUST FOR A BIRD OF THIS SIZE ALSO USE A LITTLE DOWN TRIM. TOO MUCH SPEED IS GOOD
Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
timothy thompson

UP NOt UN GEEZE ! always fly downwind base and final with the top of the nose visible that insures you wont stall , also program 20 % rudder into your aileron for coordinated turns. And 10 % down elev with full flap deployment
Old 03-29-2007, 01:54 PM
cliff600

My main problem was I landed too slow. Landing slow is probably O.K. if you flare at exactly the right time and I flared too soon. So kinda both were my problem but mostly I needed more speed. All I need to do is paint the dinged spots and it will be ready to go. I am guessing I did about 1 hour of damage. It just takes longer sitting back waiting for the glue, primer and paint to dry. Let us know how your fight goes today
Old 03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
timothy thompson

CLIFF ADD ALITTLE DOWN TRIM ON ELEV AND USE THE FLAPS. IOF YOU ARE HAVING FLAP PROBLEMPS PM ME AND ILL CALL YOU AND HELKP YOU IM A SCALE MASTERS COMPETETOR SO I KNOW I CAN HELP YOU. bASICALLY YOU KNOW HOW TO FLY THATS EVIDENT TOO BAD YOU DONT LIVE IN MICHIGAN ID GET THAT BIRD DIALED IN FOR YA
HOW BAD IS THE DAMAGE SHOW PICS

TIM 989-7973645 CALL ME TONIGHT
Old 03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
RCPILOT78

MAIDEN FLIGHT ACCOMPLISHED....WOW ! WOW ! WOW ! .....Ok, did the maiden today and all I can say is it flew great,took off straight down the runway with a little right rudder....climbed out with authority with that G62 did about 10 to 12 minutes of flight tests slow flight, gear up gear down, flaps partial flaps full etc. after that I set her up for a landing lowered the flaps full, stayed on the throttle and she settled in for a wheel landing just as pretty as could be expected...NO bad habbits...NO surprises NO bounce..she rolled about 45 to 50 feet and stopped...remember I mentioned she weighs out at 30lbs...probably around 31 lbs at takeoff with full 32 oz tank...now after a successful flight it is now called an ( AIRPLANE ) what I am going to do now is later today is go over all areas and check for loose screws ,bolts and mounts.....talk later RCPILOT78
Old 03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
timothy thompson

see i told you she would fly at that wt some are 34 lbs. i really thing all these h-9 arf give people the wrong idea about warbirds. great job im proud of you
Old 03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
cliff600

Congrats on the flight. No video??
Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
RCPILOT78

NO video on this flight had too much on my mind to fiddle with a camera , I would have to find someone to operate the camcorder most of the time the video is of such poor quality it would not do any good...I will try on the next flight...I will see of the wife will come with she is good with the camcorder....right now I just wanted everyone to know that this aiprlane is not any different than any other giant plane be it warbird or extra 300,,they will fly very well..there are no tricks or surprises... in the r/c world the corsair was always dubbed as a trickey difficult airplane to fly because of the gull wing......NOT SO....with the help of this forum we all can gain a lot of help to insure a safe and productive flight. thanks to all who offered their expertiese..I hope all of my past posts in the forum also helped...good luck to all your first flights with the Top Flite G/S Corsair.. RCPILOT78
Old 03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
devens

congrats on the maiden RCpilot

hope mine goes as well when I finish
Old 03-30-2007, 01:18 AM
asammut

Hi from down under,
does anyone have any info about the solo 3 blade props. I will be running a g-62 and the supplier recommends a maximum of 22" diameter will be ok with a g-62. However its a lot of money to find out that it wont do the job.
cheers
andrew
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Andrew,

I have a G-62 with a Solo 24" prop. It has not flown yet but it has been broken in and runs very well. I asked for the Corsair "blade profile" in matte black and it looks great too. I know it is rather expensive but nothing else came close, and I couldn't find anything else that had variable pitch (and replaceable blades). I thought it was well worth the money.

David
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 AM
timothy thompson

yes you need thew weight anyway and if you bust a blade they sell extras the hub is also extra but worth it I bought a 1/5 scale p$w radial from williams bros. 90.00 but worth it will have to sut ech cylinder down a bit but it will look perfect
Old 03-30-2007, 11:14 AM
ag4ever

So most people are powering this bird with the G62. I would like to put a true radial on mine, as I am going to try for a bit more scale detail, and I want the 4-stroke radial sound.

Are there any good radials that will fit in the cowl that have the power to pull this bird thru the air good. I don't want or need unlimited vertical. All I am looking for is a good scale flying bird with enough power to keep me out of trouble, but not so much power it gets me into trouble.

I should start back up on this build in a few months after I finish my biplane.

RCPILOT78, congrats on the maiden!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.