Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

i used two pieces on fit inside the other im not sure of the dimensions
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,

What was the reason for two pieces? I thought you just used a ball link inside the square tube for the canopy to slide forward and backward on. Maybe I'm not doing what you did. Tell me how yours works with the two tubes. Does the inside tube slide with the ball link? If so how long is the inside tube and how did you connect the ball link to the inside tube?

Thanks,

Barry
Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
timothy thompson

the small piece has 2 holes drilled in one for a threaded rod that hold on the canopy the other smaller hole is for the actuating wire. do a search on this site and the entire servo operated instructions with pics and accurate measurements are there
Old 04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey guys,

I was just sent a neat site by a friend of mine. The link is listed below. If you scroll down a little bit there is a video of a Navy full size Corsair. It shows the cockpit and tail hook prettywell for all who are interested. I just loved the sound of a 9 cylinder radial and thought I'd share it with my friends.

I don't suggest the "large" videos for anyone who doesn't have a DSL or Cable connection.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3

[link=http://www.rcairgallery.com]RCAIRGALLERY[/link]
Old 04-07-2007, 02:17 PM
cimara

Gibbs heres the links tim is talking about Pg 34 post 847 and 849 and page 35 posts 853 854 856 857 858
Old 04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
NCIS

cimara,

Thanks, I'd be searching all night trying to find it. Did you make your canopy manual or servo operated? On the 1/8 scale I'm just going to make it manual. I'll make the slot for the ball link a little smaller in the closed position so it doesn't come open in flight. I just want a sliding canopy for looks. On my Giant I will make it servo operated. It's bigger and more room to work. My 1/8 scale already has 9 servos. But I have one channel left if you can PM me with the place I can order the lights from and anything else I'll need to make them work. I haven't done any sheeting yet so this is the time to do it.

Thanks again,

Barry
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
cimara

Gibbs you could y off your ignition kill servo and have the canopie open when you kill the engine well that would only work for a gas engine
Old 04-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Winston,

What if you Y off of the landing gear so that the canopy is open whenever the gear is down? I have thought about doing that but I wonder what it will do to the stability of the plane particularly on approach. What do you think?

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 04-07-2007, 08:11 PM
cimara

[X(]Didnt think on the aerodinamiks of it on approach thats someting i would check out way up in the air on a seprate channel before trying it close to the ground.wind could rip it off any one else have a thought
Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 PM
timothy thompson

if done the way the threads shows it will not come off . flap dwn canopy opens, flap up canopy closes
Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM
US185Damiani

BTW thats 18 Cylinders!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:15 AM
timothy thompson

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11284.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	659496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81229.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	659497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78333.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	659498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14026.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	659499  
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 AM
timothy thompson

one more
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 AM
timothy thompson

oops the enterprise was not supposed to be there
Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Timothy, How much travel on a servo does it take to fold the wings. My estimate is 3 to 3 1/2 inches. I was thinking of using a couple of Hitec 5995s. They are 180 deg. servos like a retract servo.
I started on my folding wings tonight. Its been something I 've been wanting to do for a while. I just said "ah heck might as well" and cut the wing. I'll be hinging from the front.

I bought this plane mostly built and was just going to get it in the air quickly. Well change this change that. Looks like it'll maybe fall before I get this bird in the air. Or later.

Also planning to work a deal with my local HS. He has a D&B 3.7 twin. Add some glow sized spark plugs and it's only a shade over 9 inches.

Later,
Old 04-08-2007, 09:32 AM
devens

Well I have the fuse fully sheeted and sanded. I think I am going to do the trim tabs on the tail feathers today. Then jump back and sheet the wing. I bought a couple of the high torque servos yesterday. I am using the NEW JR 126's. It is the new version of the 125. @ 6V - 145ozin/.17sec/1.7oz metal gears and all BB. $35.99 at the the LHS.

Bob,
In a very early post you describ a experiment with the pnuematic system under water to check for leakage. What I took from that was to use brass tees and the air line retainer fittings. My question to you is would you recomend a retainer on every air line connection? That would be around 30 retainer fittings.

I am concidering using a micro servo for my air valve. Is there any reason I should not?

Here is a product called channel-3 that opens the canopy when the flaps are down AND the throttle is at idle.

http://home.comcast.net/~rich2001/osa/channel3.html

Old 04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
timothy thompson

i used futaba 1/5 scale car servos with 400 oz torque. the wing fold requires two 6V 3000mah packs in parallel. im working on the locking pin now . Im using robart air cylinders
Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 PM
NCIS

Guy's

I decided to make my sliding canopy work off a servo as decribed in the posts that cimara sent me to. I printed all the pictures for reference and it seems pretty simple. I am also putting in lights and with one channel still open I can Y-Harness the canopy and lighting controller. When the canopy closes the lights will go on I think or will they just be on whenever there is power to the channel. If the radio and receiver are on the lights are on? I'm OK with that to but would rather have them come on when the canopy closes. Any ideas on how I can make this work? I can't believe I'm doing everything to the 1/8 scale that I'm going to do with the Giant. The only thing I'm not doing is making folding wings. I will do that on the Giant after Tim gives it two thumbs up! I'm trying to do everything Tim is doing. I don't care if it take me 2 years to get them both done. After seeing Tim's it is worth it. I'm not sure I'll fly them but I will by two more of the same kits if I don't and just build per instructions and fly the pants off them.

Barry
Old 04-08-2007, 03:02 PM
timothy thompson

ncis they are made to fly! no hangar queens
Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM
rwright142

NCIS,

Oregon Scale Aviation (OSA) is a company with some scale products you and others may be interested in. I bought their WingMan for raising/lowering my wings and it works great! Some things they offer:

o MicroGear Ultra
o Channel-3
o WingMan
o ThermaCowl

Descriptions:
MicroGear Ultra Features
o P51 and Corsair Style Landing Gear Control
o Air or mechanical retracts
o Air or mechanical doors
o Transmitter adjustable door servo travel
o Fully adjustable speeds and delays
o Recoverable Fail Safe for emergency landings
o Selectable locked or staggered mechanical main gears

__________________________________________________ ________

Channel-3
Lets say you want your planes canopy to open when your in a landing configuration (gear and flaps down). This can be accomplished by connecting your radio receiver landing gear and flap channels to the controller inputs CH1 and CH2 respectively, and your sliding canopy servo to the controller output (CH1 or CH2 for servo reverse). Channel-3 will automatically open the cockpit canopy when your planes landing gear and flaps are lowered. The flap down position where the canopy opens is adjustable. The programmed dip-switch position enable set points are 20%, 50%, and 80%. Other exciting uses of Channel-3 are left to your imagination.

WingMan
WingMan was designed to enable the scale aviation enthusiast to control the folding or sweeping of wings in a scale-like manner. Additionally, it independently controls a latching servo that insures a positive lock of the wings, while requiring only a single channel of the transmitter. Many safety features have been incorporated in Wingman, in order to avoid inadvertent wing fold sequencing during flight. First, wing folding will only be initiated after an arming sequence of the transmitter switch.
Features
* Four selectable wing sweep or fold speeds
* Fast Down mode to simulate faster lowering than raising speed
* Servo travel adjust from transmitter (fold servo only)
* Servo reversing for both latch and fold servos
* Continuous control even with loss of transmitter signal
* Sequences uninterrupted by noisy or missing transmitter signal
* Digital noise filtering to prevent spurious sequencing
* Fail safe return to previous position if switched during fold sequence
* High quality multi-layer circuit board technology

ThermaCowl
ThermaCowl was designed to enable the scale aviation enthusiast to automatically control the opening and closing of cowl or cooling flaps in a scale-like manner. As the engine compartment temperature increases, the flaps open wider to allow further cooling. Because the flap position is controlled by temperature, ThermaCowl attempts to maintain a constant engine compartment temperature. This greatly aids in quicker warm-ups, and fewer lean run flame-outs. This control feature was found on many of the WWII era aircraft, and you will find ThermaCowl an excellent addition to your scale project to add that final touch of realism.
Features
o Proportional scale control of cowl or cooling flap position
o Requires only Power and Ground from receiver, does not load servo output
o Fully microprocessor controlled
o Adjustable start opening temperature
o Adjustable full open temperature
o No switches to configure, only 2 simple adjustments
o High quality multi-layer circuit board technology
o Designed and manufactured in the U.S.A.

Contact info:
Oregon Scale Aviation
P.O.Box 1514
Beaverton, Oregon 97005-1514
Buz Hampton: [email protected]
Here's a video of their WingMan product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBI1oA1Gjfc
Old 04-08-2007, 04:39 PM
timothy thompson

FOLDING WINGS ON THE SMALLER BIRD WOULD BE TOO HEAVY
Old 04-08-2007, 05:10 PM
rwright142

You may be right about the folding wings.
Some of the other items like the Channel-3 would work for anyone wanting to open/close their canopy without using an extra channel.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:18 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Devens

Sorry about not getting back soner. But to ansure your questions 1. use retainers on every fitting even the plactic, in the long run it is cheep insurance. 2. the micro servo is fine just make sure you don't stall the servo in eather direction, if you are using a robart valve, you need 1/4 inch and 9/32 max, and the action has to be smoooth.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 04-08-2007, 06:39 PM
NCIS

Question?,

Spraying liquid mask. What do you that use it apply it with?. Do you use a spray gun or maybe even a spray bottle with the hole drilled out. I made one and drilled the hole out to 1/16" for the thick liquid but it is still wet inside so I have to wait until tomorrow to try it and see if it even will work. I'm sure it won't nothing is that cheap and simple. I'm using the liquid mask on all the masking I have to do on this plane. I have never used it before but I always get small scratches when I use tape trying to get the residue from the sticky side of the tape off the plastic canopies.

Thanks for replies,

Gibbs
Old 04-08-2007, 06:50 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Gibbs
You did not say what you are trying to mask, if it is a canopy I use a 3/4 long brissle artist brusk and apply 2 coats about 24 hrs apart, then I use a fresh #11 blade and trim out what I want to Paint, make sure you don't use a paint that will cause canopy mtl to curel, been there and done that.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.