Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
cimara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Bob i just mesured off my 3 veiws wich are 1/72 scale and got .70 of an inch looks close .Hope i did the math right .
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CIMARA
Tanks for the in info but I hope you ment .07 not .7 10ths of an inch .7 X 72= 50.40. so if we assume 5.04 is correct that would give a 1/5 a 1.0 dim bezel so does your dwg give a seperate line for the lense?? Plllease!!

You know I realy don't know why I am doing this as tere only 2 others in our club that have a clue what scale is, but I sure am having fun

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood#5
Old 04-26-2007, 03:43 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

ive got everything glassed and puttied but its cold and raining so i hVE TO WAIT TO SAND i bought lots of primer at the auto store so they dont think im snorting it
Old 04-26-2007, 07:01 PM
cimara

Woops... Bob .70 is the finshed size for the TF corsair 5.05 is The size on the real corsair.The bezel on the TF should be .117 I made mine bigger so i could use screws to fasten it all together so i could repalce bulbs or leds in my case.I know its not scale but this is not a Byron corsair Darnit .Hope this helps
Old 04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
rt3232

Yup That makes me feel better, and yesterday I could not find the info today I have 2 sorses, and that gives me an inside dim for the bezel of ,65 all so found out the dome on the full size is only 1/8 so I will go with flat lense.

Thanks for the help

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 PM
splitzed

Well I finally got her finished! Except the cockpit which I will complete later, I'm actually packing everything away for awhile as I am starting up a new business and will be very busy for the next year or so. I will not be flying her for quite some time as I am not experienced enough just yet, and I have too much invested to risk, giving my piloting skills, so I'll just give it time and wait till I'm good and ready, I'm afraid she will just be another hanger queen for now.

Anyway it came in at 28 lbs and balanced at 5 1/2 inches without adding any weight, and without the cockpit or pilot ( i do have alot of weight up front with the g62, the dummy radial, and the solo prop, I did noy lighten the tail at all, just built it as the plans indicated) , the g62 starts and runs great I was getting 6500 rpm with the 20 x 8 solo prop the enginei s still set a little rich,

Thanks to everyones help on this forum It helped me out imensely, I got alot of good ideas here, i'm sure this forum will be a great source of info for future corsair buffs, I will continue to check in on everyones progress

Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15735.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	673931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17372.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	673932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39375.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	673933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49949.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	673934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52530.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	673935  
Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Splitzed,

Congratulation!!!! And, good luck on your new business. It's wise to wait until your flying skills are ready. Again, that's a good looking plane.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Splitzed,
NICE JOB, GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUSINESS.

GEORGE
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1

Old 04-29-2007, 10:23 AM
cimara

splitzed
The corsair looks great good luck on the new business
Old 04-29-2007, 02:11 PM
rt3232

Splitzad

Great looking bird Don't for get to run a little seafoam in to your engine and then run it dry for storage of the carb it will keep the gaskets from going bad and the gas from gelling, great luck with the business.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM
ctflyboy

Rt,
Have you had the chance to do that 1st. flight

George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 05-01-2007, 06:13 AM
rt3232

Hi George

NO

First it was the weather, then Toledo last coupla of week its been the spring yard clean up and hunny do's, and just got back from a a 4day outhing with the wife, now if I can get my hours at work strightened out I should be able to go for it. Will probably fly the big cub first do a bunch of landing drills, then go to the weeks bipe as that is a 20+ lbs bird more landing drills, then the corsair, plan on doing one last weight and balance check as I have moved a coupla of things.

Will keep you posted and hope to have pic's

Now how is your bird comming???

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 AM
ctflyboy

RT,
BEST OF LUCK ,
My Bird is almost ready for paint, just a couple of minor things to do on the wind, but all in all just waiting for the warmer weather for a weekend of paint.
will post when at that stage.
George
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 AM
kochj

Alhough you will be busy, if you have a computer you can fly! Check out some of the simulators out there.... You will be a flying ACE! in no time at all! I learned to fly on a simulator and maidened a TT .46 seaplane w/o any box or instructor (my friend also learned on the simulator and that was the G2 version) The sims are even better now! Seriously, if you truly value your investment and will not be able to get to a field and fly. Get a SIM!!!! I can do almost every thing in the book, from scale flying to TOC freestyle, to pattern! You will not regret it!

ORIGINAL: splitzed

Well I finally got her finished! Except the cockpit which I will complete later, I'm actually packing everything away for awhile as I am starting up a new business and will be very busy for the next year or so. I will not be flying her for quite some time as I am not experienced enough just yet, and I have too much invested to risk, giving my piloting skills, so I'll just give it time and wait till I'm good and ready, I'm afraid she will just be another hanger queen for now.

Anyway it came in at 28 lbs and balanced at 5 1/2 inches without adding any weight, and without the cockpit or pilot ( i do have alot of weight up front with the g62, the dummy radial, and the solo prop, I did noy lighten the tail at all, just built it as the plans indicated) , the g62 starts and runs great I was getting 6500 rpm with the 20 x 8 solo prop the enginei s still set a little rich,

Thanks to everyones help on this forum It helped me out imensely, I got alot of good ideas here, i'm sure this forum will be a great source of info for future corsair buffs, I will continue to check in on everyones progress

Here are some pics
Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 AM
kochj

How long would it take to build this kit by strickly following the instructions and no mods?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:21 AM
rt3232

Kochj

Depending on your building skills and the amount of time you have and subbing epoxy or ca's for the use of white glue, and all material is on the table best quess would be 4 to 18 weeks,

I would how ever suggest read up on all of the modsto keep the weight down and in the right places

Hope this helps

Cheers bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
devens

ORIGINAL: kochj

How long would it take to build this kit by strickly following the instructions and no mods?

I started my build Jan. 1, 2007 at 12 noon. I have been working ~25-30 hrs a week. This includes planning, research and design (head scratchin time). I have the fuse built ready for wing saddle fill and the tail feathers. It will then be ready for glass. I have the wing nearly sheeted and the tips on. I am predicting that I am maybe a little past half way with the total build. I have a couple of tasks ahead that take some time. Gear doors (optional or mod if you will and very time consuming), flaps (not many are moving through this part very fast), cockpit details (not doing a scale cockpit but I am adding some scale detail over what TF gives us), motor area (add material to help air flow, baffle, radial engine, cowl flaps, ect.). Then I have all of the finishing work ahead of me.

I have built the 1/8 scale corsair and several other kits. I would say that my building skill is similar to many on this thread. I think we all are learning from others. I did build with CA, epoxy and some wood glue. I think 15% of my time has been spent on planning and design.

If you are not a modeler and have not built a kit before I would think this would be a very difficult build to start with. The directions however are pretty good and the resourses on RCU are incredible.

Thanks to all for past and future help!
Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
NCIS

I've decided,

I'm selling my TF Giant Corsair and all the things you will need to complete it minus fiberglass, paint, high torque servos, and the receiver. I'm going to build either the 100" Meister and add flaps or the Don Smith 100". The picture is of a Meister 100" WS that was not scaled out at all from what I can see. Meister is designing plans for flaps to be out in the near future. Whats your opinion on these two kits?

Gibbs
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	677060  
Old 05-03-2007, 04:07 PM
devens

When should the gear door openings be cut for a glassed model? I would like to cut them before I glass and glass over them like the servo access openings. However, I see most guys cutting the opening after glassing.

I can form my gear doors with the wng finished in glass or without.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Tomcat_104

Gibbs,

I bought a Meister kit and they (Dino) told me that I could add the flaps but they had no intention of building one OR designing them since not enough ppeople request them. What do other folks do; build it without the flaps? I saw one last year that had no flaps and all the pictures I have seen show them with no flaps. I wouldn't even think of building one without flaps. Don Smith's has the flap designed and looks like it's more scale. I got the Meister locally from a guy that had bought it then decided not to build it since it didn't have flaps. If I bought one from DS I would buy the 120" one but what size of gear would you use with it? It would be interesting to hear what you chose and what Meister told you.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-03-2007, 07:37 PM
rt3232

Gibbs

If memory serves me Dion (last neme excapes me) but it was a Royal (Miester design) 60 size build that he detailed in his thread he indicated for pure scale the 60 size was right on, but the bigger one was way off, having said that I would go to RCSCALE BUILDER.com/form and read some of the threads on the don smith bird.

As for retracts check with a fellow that has a handle of F4u-5 he had one at 127" and he would be a great asset.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T

P.S. Keep us posted on your choice
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Dave_ORCC

Hello fellow Corsair builders. It's been quite some time since I've posted but, I have been checking in from time to time, usually when I've encountered a problem in need of a solution. This thread has been great and full of all the info I've needed to get this plane finished. Thanks to all!!!

I began this project almost five years ago and after today it can be officially called an airplane.

After going over everything a zillion times in the shop it finally made an appearance at the field yesterday. Spent some time trying to get the engine running. When you know the proper technique for starting a G-62, it's not that hard. Needless to say, I didn't know the technique. fortunately my friend, Dave showed up and made a few suggestions which worked. Got the engine running and although I thought I'd lock-tited everything it was quickly evident that I didn't. The motor mount shook like mad and tried to remove itself from the airplane. That's not good!! Shut her down and packed it back into the car. No biggie, removed all the bolts, APPLIED lock-tite to everything and buttoned it all back up.

Headed back out to the field this afternoon and tried again. Got the engine running and the engine/mount has decided that it likes where it is and didn't try to seperate from the fuse. Remounted the cowl and did my best to calm my nerves....... ok, one more smoke ( I really need to quit ) then I'll fly it. Thanks to Tom and Dave for the calming words of encouragement while I polluted my lungs. Of course the winds weren't exactly favorable. Darn close to a direct cross-wind, slighly favoring a left to right take off. Took a very deep breath, tried to forget about the hours and the $$$ invested and advanced the throttle. I wish I could say it was dead-straight down the runway but, it wasn't. Veered a bit to the left but not so bad as to abort. She lifted off with ease and I started a gentle turn to the left and pulled the gear up. Gained a bit of altitude in the turn and did a few trim laps. About 3 clicks of right aileron and she was flying hands off!!

WOW!!! HOLY CRAP!! IT FLIES!!!

OK, first two items on the flight plan complete..... #1- take off #2- Trim for level flight............. what next?? I remeber now......... BREATHE. OK, so I take a few more deep breaths and just fly around for a bit. I'm still really anxious about landing this beast so I think to myself this could be it's only flight. I better try to enjoy part of it. Nothing to axtravagent....... couple of laps and a couple of fly-by's at about 75' I plan to get those lower but, for now, she's flying fantastic at this "safe" altitude.

OK.... back to business....... how does it fly with flaps? I gain a bit of altitude and experiment. I've pre-programmed some down elevator mix when flaps are deployed and I think I got pretty lucky. 1/4 throttle, 1/2 or full flaps produced a slight nose down attitude. Not too bad, I figure. I can work with that. I might tweak the mix with more practice but, for now, this works.

Now what......... hhhmmmm, guess I gotta land this sucker sometime. hhhmmmmm, maybe just another lap or two. ** insert slight giggling here **

**censored** Gotta land sometime. Turn down-wind..... lower 1/2 flap..... turn base........ lower the gear. COOL!! They BOTH appear to be where the should be. On final now, descending quick, yikes!! ..... a little throttle to flatten the descent a bit..... ok..... she's still moving pretty quick. It passes in front of me at about 10' or so. Probably could've let it settle in on our big long runway but, lets add some power and try this again. I left the gear and flaps down, didn't see much point doing otherwise. Fast forward to turning onto final and again, she's dropping quick. Add a couple of clicks of power and she settles into a nice descent rate and in front of me she's about 3 feet off the deck. Throttle to idle and she sinks a bit more and touches terra firma again!! She's still moving along pretty good so I let the speed bleed off and then the tail settles down. I roll off the end of the runway and start to turn it around to taxi back and she noses over, killing the engine ....GRRRRR... Oh, yeah....... BREATHE!! Pfew......... this is a "walk-of-shame" that I don't mind one bit. I get to the plane and see that one wheel has sunk about 3 inches into the soft sand. I think that's really what caused the nose-over. At least that's MY story........ and yes, I am sticking to it.

So......... it has now flown. I'm going to go over the airframe and make sure everything is still secure and fly it again, soon!

Well, that's about it for now. My friends Tom and Dave both took pics so I'll post those as soon as I get them. ** hint, hint ** Thanks again, to Dave and Tom for the reassuring words and the assistance today. Thanks also to the countless people who've had words of wisdom all along the way. Thanks to all the info I've learned for the smart ones here on this thread. It's been a long time coming and I'm glad that I can now answer "YES" to those that ask "Has it flown yet?"

As a reminder, here are a few links to previous posts, with pics, of my bird.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#4111070 post #679
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#4292747 post # 740
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#4716628 post # 873

Sorry for the long post but, I think I'm still working off some adrenaline

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 AM
rt3232

Dave

Congrats on the maiden, and for the run down on the flight..

What is your next project?

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 05-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Tomcat_104

Dave,

Congratulations! You put our Corsair where it belongs and that's great. Just don't let it be a hanger queen. Everyone will be thrilled to see it fly. Thanks for the run down too! It is good thing for everyone to check and recheck things to make sure they're like they should be. Congratulations again on the maiden voyage.

David
Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM
ctflyboy

Dave, CONGRATS ON THE MAIDEN FLIGHT

WHAT DID IT FINALLY WEIGH ?

GEORGE
CORSAIR Brotherhood # 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.