Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Wulf 190, that plane looks really nice. What did you use for paint? Is it Latex?

You should bring that plane to the FonDuLac WI Warbirds and Clasics over the Midwest. Check out www.midwestwarbirds.com for more info. Pilots from all over the country will be there and it's a 1st class event and awesome site.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys. It's my old favorite Modelmaster paint w/ Lustrekote flat clear on it (it's really not all that flat which seemed to fit well on the scheme). Lots of little bottles used....like 10 of the darker blue, 4 of the medium blue and 8 whites, but the only decal is the gal, which is a dry transfer..the rest got painted.

Would like to get to the Fond Du Lac show as I've heard it's a good one. Am going to the Wheeler, IN warbird day this weekend with it. Won't have it flying yet, but might as well haul it along to sit alongside my bud's P40 and Spitfire on the flight line at least. Will probably see about another taxi test in the next couple of days. Looks like it'll be a very nice ground handler from the way it sits on the gear and rolls so easily.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
devens

Looks good Wulf!

I am finishing my Mojo then I am committing myself to my Corsair! I am going to do as my uncle has suggested and get it in the air then add details. That way if there is a accident [] some labor isn't lost. Plus it is good to know how a bird flies before finishing. Fourtunately there is tons of testimony about how great this model is. However with the wingtip mods my plane should be unique.

anyway good job Wulf!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:26 PM
wulf190

Thanks man. Some day we'll fly them together hopefully as Decatur isn't that far. I could have opted to fly the thing before I actually finished the rest of it off, but as I haven't bought an RX, and still had some other stuff to do on it anyway, I figured, spend a couple more days and finish it up at least so that I can at least look at it with the tape off and have some measure of satisfaction at least once in it's life in case something bad happens...lol. Gotta say I was shocked by the 25.5 lb thing when I put it on the scale. It seemed heavier than that to me. It's just such a difficult plane to pick up and move around I guess. The wing takes up so much more space in my shop cuz of that gull.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Wolf190

I would just like to add my con-grats on a great looking bird[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Broyherhood #5
Old 07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
devens

ORIGINAL: wulf190

Thanks man. Some day we'll fly them together hopefully as Decatur isn't that far.
Sounds great!

I checked out FonDuLac, that looks like a great warbird meet. I am also only 3 hrs from the flyin this weekend. Unfourtunatly I wont make it. I would come even without a warbird just to meet up if I didn't have plans. I am gearing up for a lot of flyins next year! I am still getting my poop in a group from my relocation. I am shopping for a new airplane hauling rig right now

Well back to work [>:]
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
wulf190

yes Devs next season might have a trailer in store for me as well...kind of outgrown the SUV this year.

For those of you who know George, you may have noticed that he's been a bit absent here on the thread lately....Just got a phone call from him this morning and he delivered some news that he's going thru a bit of rehab after a health emergency, but sounds as if he's positive and is recovering well. My heart certainly went out to him, and thought you guys might like to know so if you might like to send some well-wishing to the guy who has been SO influential in making the thread here what it has been for the past 2 or 3 years now. Probably not a guy who we all could thank more for organizing our thread here, and supporting all of us F4U gooneys throughout all of our builds.....WISH THE BEST FOR YA GEO[sm=thumbup.gif]

Mike
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
cimara

FInal coat on the fuse and wing started on the control surfaces but dropped the elevator on the floor covered in dirt so will have to resand and do the control surfaces later . luckly i was just about out of mixed paint when gravity reached up and bit me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45104.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	979.0 KB
ID:	994348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98466.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	994349  
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM
cimara

As you can see I am building a full size Corsair
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
DreamingTree1027
My Feedback: (5)

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Top Flite corsair .60 kit, that I have. I was planning on building it but now I am in college and can't deal with being in different places all the time. I live in chicago go to school in Ohio and live in Butler PA over the summer. Building is just too difficult. There is an ad for it on RCU. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=415897

I would love to build it but just can't, and want an arf of something so I can fly. If anyone wants to trade a aerobatic plane I would be interested.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: cimara

As you can see I am building a full size Corsair

LOL Looks good Cimara,

I've been stalled one mine for a few weeks. The finishing resin I got from tower is bad. (Great Planes) I ordered two sets and both where bad. After two weeks it is finnaly starting to harden up but, it is still tacky. After calling Tower they sent out two more bottles. It was the same. (I'll call them again .)

Most of the fuse is covered with some G/P resin I had from the last plane and it was / is perfect. Only the bottom of the fuse and stabs are covered in the defective resin so maybe be it want be to big of a headache.

Guess I'll try some Zap.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:29 AM
rt3232

winston

Your bird is looking great[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Bob T
Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 PM
rt3232

Well an up date, Had the corsair out and got in some nice flying, all was fine till last take off, and I dum thumbed it at full bore had a prop strike, over on its back and blew the virtical and rudder but no outher majar air frame damage.
During this repair I will be replacing the snap on ball links on my gear doors with captive ball type.

So now the question for the rest of you any of you flying your birds if so how is it going???

Cheers Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Bob
Sorry to hear about your bird's tail. I'm sure you'll have it back in the air in no time. I had a premature lift off on my son's H9 Camel (who would have thought it would break ground at not much more than a jogging pace?) so I know your pain. I just bit the bullet and mounted my tail feathers, next will be completing the tail assembly. Keep up with the flight reports and tips!
Sam
Old 07-27-2008, 01:13 PM
rt3232

Thanks Sam

No simpathy needed whin I dum thumb it. just need a swift foot on the **** you know ware.

After cleaning up the mess I got lucky the fin broke out right on a seam no airframe damage, and every thing cleaned up with just a little sanding, cut all the details for a new fin and rudder this morning

bob t
Old 07-27-2008, 03:59 PM
cimara

Bob sorry to hear about the mishap glad it was minor damage

I got around to doing the stencils sat and sun . I have attached a pic of the plane i am trying to replicate its the corsair farthest away from the cameria in the pic of 5 corsairs .It looks like the star and bar is smaller on the wing than the one on the fuse so thats how i painted mine .I have some bleed through to fix i think some 1500 to 2000 grit sand paper will remove most of it .Still need to deide if i want to do the nose art and if so whats the best way with out spending a fortune on a dry transfer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23270.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	998796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48731.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	998797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19513.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	998798  
Old 07-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Good looking job Winston!

I've had good luck with having a sign printer make adhesive transfers for me. They can be 1 color (cheaper) or 4 color (more expensive) and they can even be printed on transparent film if that's necessary. They are harder to put on since you only get one chance but a little painters tape usually fixes that problem. When I get mine printed and decide where I want to put it, I trim out the "decal" and then using painters tape to mask around the area. I then spray the area with a glossy sealer since the "decal" sticks much better to glossy, after it's on and I'm satisfied I spray the decal with a matte type spray. That may sound like a lot of work but it works for me and it looks great! I'm sure this is not the only way and may not be the best way but it's my way and it's worked!

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
rt3232

Ok ware do I start

Winston your bird is realy coming together looks fantastic[sm=thumbs_up.gif] Keep up the good work.

Bob T
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
rt3232

David

Sounds like you are coming along with your build, any estimate on a madein??

Do you know if yor sign printer will do outher out side work? and what does he need for info?

Bob T

Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 07-27-2008, 07:45 PM
rt3232

By the way has anyone herd cityflyboy aka George???

Bob T
Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
cimara

Thanks for the RT and David guys
Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Hey Bob,

No time for a maiden has been set. I have temporarily set my Corsair aside because I'm working on a 4 Star 40 with my son. It's going to be an electric since that's all his college allows in their dorm. He started a TF 60 size Spitfire but we set that aside too after we found out that he couldn't bring it to school. The 4 Star seemed to be a quick build and with the mods (I built a 60 size before) it looks pretty good. But it's no Corsair!

I'll get you the contact info for my sign guy but it's just a Signs Now (or Signs Etc) that I found in the yellow pages. I send them an Illustrator EPS file but I'm sure they take other file types. If you need help I was a graphic designer (and a owner of a large graphics business) before my stroke. I'm left with only one good hand now so I'm slow but I'm still pretty good, good enough anyway.

David

Corsair Brotherhood #3
Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 AM
devens

[/quote]

I've been stalled one mine for a few weeks. The finishing resin I got from tower is bad. (Great Planes) I ordered two sets and both where bad. After two weeks it is finnaly starting to harden up but, it is still tacky. After calling Tower they sent out two more bottles. It was the same. (I'll call them again .)

Most of the fuse is covered with some G/P resin I had from the last plane and it was / is perfect. Only the bottom of the fuse and stabs are covered in the defective resin so maybe be it want be to big of a headache.

Guess I'll try some Zap.

[/quote]

You are kidding me? So if the resin doesn't harden then the plane is ruined?

I can't stand Tower Hobbies. I bet they will have 1000 excuses!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Hey Devens, Beleive it or not the G/P resin has finally cured. Took about 3 weeks.

Tower was very supportive, they send me two new bottles but they were bad too. I think G/P just got a bad batch.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
rt3232

David

I know it is a little late to change horses but look up West Systems it is comercial grade epoxy comes with measuring pumps or can be measured on a digital scale a bit spendy but having used it on my 47 I don't think I will change

Cheers Bob t

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.