Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Spitfire 101 (like Spits?Must Read)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Spitfire 101 (like Spits?Must Read)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:48 AM
Merlin65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spitfire 101 (like Spits?Must Read)

Ray,
The Spitfires tend to get a new paint scheme each airshow season and this is quite common among the airshow circuit Spitfires. I suspect the most current scheme for P7350 would always be what's on the BBMF web site.

Her wartime marking while with her first squadron, 266 (Rhodesia) sqn was "ZH" a simple 2 letter code but I only have one photo of her with this marking.

Not sure what engine Richard is running but will try to find out. I know he's a big fan of Zenoah. Aparently the 1/3 ML407 won best warbird at the RAF Halston show and was supported by the full size ML407 supporters group, complete with uniforms and all
--
Merlin
Old 10-16-2002, 03:46 AM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oh Man

This is getting wild! you guys really know your #@!
JG
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/warbirdscale/
Old 10-16-2002, 01:21 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Default Re: Oh Man

Originally posted by JGrc
This is getting wild! you guys really know your #@!
JG
I was just about to say the same thing!
this thread has got me really going now on my Taylor Spitfire.
Gotta get my gear ordered from Lenny now. I have the Moki, and wings framed, need gear, and get the wings sheeted. Great thread Ray!

Todd

p.s. as well as all others contributing here. being I am still a "rookie" at this stuff, only having flown for a year now, I realize how great a site this is, and all the great knowledge and information everyone has to bring here.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:29 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So thanks to all the wonderful help, from around the world, not only do I get to build an early Mk Spitfire, but I get to build it to my own taste, and still have it presented as a scale project. Granted, it wont be war-era scale, but as long as I can document the sucker, I am in like Flint.

Merlin, if I was to guess, I would say p7350 looks alot like a MkVa. With Grippon exhaust? Would you have any simple three views, (or anyone else for that matter) that I can aquire for documentation purposes that are identical, or come close to the P7350's presentation?

The attached picture here is what I will be shooting for as a finished project. Wing, fuse, spinner, markings and exhaust.
I have the MkII fuse, now to start aquiring the rest of the items.

This for me, is one of the most informative threads (also mostly cause I was Spitfire illiterate) I have read or been a part of. Along with the others, I gotta tip my hat to you all that have posted here, and sent me emails, links, ideas and suggestions. Making this project very fun, and this is just the research phase, wait till I start building.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	31026_1182.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	19247  
Old 10-16-2002, 11:52 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Ray, you will probably have to use a set of MkII drawings and then provide photos to document the changes made to P7350 such as the spinner and exhaust stacks. I believe this is acceptable proof for competition flying. I've got several sets of drawings for the MkII including some nice ones in 1/16 scale which I think are available from Bob Holman. If not I can get you a copy for the cost of copying and shipping.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:07 AM
AirRayInc

Chad,
at this early stage, I will accept anything and everything from everywhere, and use it all to compile the notebook I have started. Send me a pm and I will get you whatever funds you need to make copies and ship to me. Thank ya Sir. 1/16th drawings will go a long way to giving panel, rivets and surface detailings.

Check out the exhaust that Clark sells, ohh Momma. Oh yeah, somewhere along the way, I will get this, or pay to have something like this made. Beautiful aint it.

Came across a French site with some nice pictures as well,
http://www.luftfahrtmuseum.com/htmd/dte/spitf.htm

and another with some good pictures;
http://paulnann.com/make/VickersSupermarine.htm

Ray

Name:	31034_1182.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	19248  
Old 10-17-2002, 01:31 AM
Merlin65

Ray, funny you should ask
I have some detailed drawings of a MK Vb showing all cross sections, aerofoils etc etc
It's a big gif file. Take a look here:
[
The MK II is almost identical to the MK VA ("A" meaning 8 m/g version of the wing) and the fishtail exhaust stacks are later Merlin. ( After the MK V) These are different to the Griffon, the latter being almost round at the outermost end. Many MK II's were later upgraded to MK V standard which in turn were modified to MK IX standard.
--
Merlin

Removed link as it was not an RC related link. Thanks Dave, forum moderator
Old 10-17-2002, 04:27 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I appologize of not being of any help!!!

Sorry that I have been on savatical from RCUNIVERSE! I am currently making another man's hobby to add to my own hobbies.
To make story short, I am currently building a CNC foam cutting system. I have put together the electronics and that is going very well. Just about done with the mechanical part ( the movers, sliders etc) the most challenging step in designing a CNC machine is the mechanical parts... YIKES!!! I mustsay.... its not for everyone.

Later, I may be able to cut a true scale spitfire wing? But mainly the reason for it is to cut cores for fillers in the P38 I am currently building and to cut scale formers for future glass plugs.

Ray I have plenty of books for you to take a look at... YOU know I have spent 2 years making parts spitfire parts.... just stop on by! don't forget to bring the glass fuse you layed up!

This thread is great!!!! its like reading a reference book!

Take care guys!

Vic
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 PM
mfranke
My Feedback: (1)

Default New spit 1/3 scale

Just got these from Richard at practical scale models. Its a 1/3 scale spit plans due out in Jan
Mark Franke
PS Can easily be mde into MkV or MKIX
Old 10-17-2002, 08:27 PM
mfranke

Default Spit photos

Will try again later in the mean time check out practicalmodels.com
The photos of the completed model he sent are awesome
Mark Franke
Spitaholic
Old 10-17-2002, 09:13 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Merlin65,

That 3 view image looks like it is out of Spitfire, The Canadians. An Excellent book.

I had the Mark V set blown up to 1/6th scale. There are some discrepancies in the sections. I have copies of most frames from Hendon.

Brian

KB1DTB
Old 10-17-2002, 09:40 PM
hoveringcobra

In the mid-70's I had the great good fortune to be the R/C instructor for a former Tuskeegee airman. I do recall him telling me that he did have the opportunity to fly a Spitfire (which Mark I'm unsure) in Italy, though his primary mount was a P-51.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:08 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

hoowaa!
keep this thread a goin!
I look forward to reading new stuff here everyday.
Also helps me get busy on my Spitfire, I'm in Ray's shoes though (not really, but close )
I dont know what color for mine just yet. Not really caring for a "scale" documenation setup, just a good looking color combo.

Todd
Old 10-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Merlin65

Skypilot_one,
You are probably correct. I found the drawings on the net somewhere and wouldn't build from them. What I do as a matter of course is overlay photographs to check the accuracy when I can. I will try to attach a sample.

hoveringcobra,
That doesn't surprise me as it seems everyone wanted a spin in a Spitfire. I recall seeing photo's of Jimmy Dolittle flying one at one stage. Surely the most desperate would be Margaret Horten, the WAAF who went for a ride on the tail of Spitfire VB AB910. I believe both Margaret and AB910 are still around and fully operational
--
Merlin (Allan, thought it about time I had a real name

Name:	31105_4297.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	19249  
Old 10-18-2002, 03:25 AM
pittsdriver

This is a great thread as I have a Clark Spit on order. Won't get it until late Dec. though so I'll just keep collecting documentation. Thanks to Chad I'm going to do TE566 a restored Mk9. Gota love invasion stripes to help keeping track of it flying. The spit is my all time favorite airplane, a great combination of horsepower and fine lines. I have had the pleasure of flying Bill Greenwood's TMk9 around 12 years ago. Yes the real thing is one of the best flying fighters of the era. Light controls and a fast rol rate for a fighter. Also the narrow gear was no problem on take-off or landing. Don
Old 10-18-2002, 04:15 AM
Merlin65

Hi Pittsdriver,
This a/c was restored by the Historic Flying Company and is covered in great detail in the book "Spitfires and Polished Metal" and so should be an easy project to document. The book features hi res shots of their Spitfires in various stages of undress.

Sadly TE566 crashed in South Africa. The pilot Mike Snoyman died in the accident at Wonderboom Airport, north of Pretoria.

I hope your RC version has a brighter future and that we get to see some pix as it progresses.
--
Merlin
Old 03-12-2003, 06:57 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Default this is great!

Wow, don't know how i missed it but this was a great thread!!
How is everyone coming along with their spit projects? Ray? Don? I know Todd is making good progress as I bombard him with email everyday as we are both working through our taylor spits with vic's wonderful glass fuse.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:24 PM
pittsdriver

Sean, I still havn't recieved my kit yet! John Clark keeps putting it further back so I don't know when I will get it. I guess I'm just too nice as I havn't been pushing him or gotten mad yet. 6 months is a little much though so I will start pushing harder at the end of the month. I really wanted to have it ready for this flying season but it is not to be. I guess I'll start on my Ziroli B-25. Don
Old 03-12-2003, 09:32 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Don,
Maybe he's building it for you!?! I don't even think the real ones took that long to build in their hay-day!
Sometimes it pays to be patient though....can't wait to see you progress through it, I'm sure you'll do it justice!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:38 AM
juniorjetpilot

Default spitfire in the works

To All,
Am I so shallow that I allow a RCU thread to influence my aircraft selection? You bet. With threads like this one it's a wonder that the sky is not full of spitfires in varying shades of camouflage. My Yellow Aircraft Deluxe kit should arrive any day now. Nothing like reading posts on RCU to make a man spend money. Now, what retracts to put in: Yellow or Robart? When I have something to look at (in the distant future, I'm sure) I will post a picture. Thanks for all your motivating information and excellent links everyone. I will take all the help that I can get.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:04 AM
dragoonpvw

Hi Pittsdriver,
John is quite the man with the delivery dates isn't he. I ordered onethe year before and it was supposed to arrive sept or oct 2001. it finally arrived in late Jan 2002. John does prefab all the parts almost on order and the kit is superb. Unfortunately by the time it arrived I was in the middle of setting up the new house so I had to back burner it. I did finish the cockpit and interior and worked out the new hinge system. If he offers the new hinge system from the Hurricane let me know and I will show you my solution for fitting it. It looks better but it is a squeeze as the Spit elevator is thinner than the Hurricane.
Be patient and good luck.
By the way I am modelling Johnnie Johnsons MKIX from DDay period and after posting on a newsgroup the author of Spitfire the Canadians (Robert Bracken) sent me all kinds of info in the mail at his own expense including a couple of unpublished photos which shows all the available decals and marking sheets to be wrong, no maple leaf and custom typeface for the JEJ. Also they reversed the cannon positions on the wing of his c wing so that they could mount the bomb rack for ground attack and thus made his C wing look like an E wing.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 03-13-2003, 03:17 AM
ProfLooney

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spit Pics

Heres a couple nice sites for spit stuff Ray

http://www.flyvintage.com/gallery.pl...st&group_id=93
http://spitfirecmraaf.tripod.com/
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/spithome.htm
http://folk.uio.no/hungnes/avia/spitfire/mkixvar.htm

and one of my favorites
http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/9378/

Joe
Old 03-13-2003, 04:41 AM
pittsdriver

Paul, Maybe he will get mine here at the end of March. Sounds like you waited 6 months also. It wouldn't be too bad if you didn't have to pay for it up front. I will do mine as TE 566. Chad Veich turned me on to that one. After buying a bunch off expensive books on the Spitfire looking for a scheme I found out I already had several pictures of it in my collection of Warbirds Worldwide magazines. I wanted to do one with invasion stripes so I could see it easier. I understand Johnson had two airplanes in the same markings. One his daily mount and the other a waxed and polished showplane late in the war for publicity. Nothing like pics of the real thing to get it right. Don
Old 03-17-2003, 04:52 AM
AirRayInc

http://airrayinc.com/mk1_spit.htm

Its gonna be a while before I make any tangible progress on this plane. But the good news is that I have done all the research that I need to, and will just have to put out the money needed to build up the wings, and aquire detailings. Some time late this summer.
Spits are pretty cool!

Ray
Old 03-17-2003, 04:41 PM
JGrc
My Feedback: (29)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Spits are pretty cool!"

That's quite an statement coming from you Ray! Here is PB Mk VII caught in action last Feb. at the Deland Rally of Giants.

Regards,

JG

Name:	63665_4653.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	19250  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.