RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-40 or P-47 ?

Old 10-13-2002, 03:34 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Top Flite P-40 or P-47 ?

I am getting a warbird for christmas this year and I would like your opinion on what to get. I really like the looks of the P-40 but I have heard and read things about its flight characteristics that would tend to turn me towards the P-47. I have been flying for over 8 years and am a pretty good pilot. But, I don't want a plane that i have to fight with everytime I take it up. I, also, have read that the P-47 is a good flyer. Don't get me wrong, I like the looks and fame of the P-47 but there is just someting about a P-40. I would, though, give up looks for flight performance everytime.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:50 AM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .

the p40 flies well also but requires excellent ground (takeoff) handling. it needs alot of right rudder due to the short span between the wheels. i do like the looks of the p40 also
-Tinman-
Old 10-13-2002, 01:02 PM
lnorris
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

*deleted*
Old 10-13-2002, 01:24 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, I am going to use monokote for the covering and will go with the fixed gear for now. And I am going to leave off all the extra stuff that you can put on the p-40. Would it then be nice and light and a better flyer?
Old 10-13-2002, 01:48 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both the planes require alot of attention to detail. You need to work hard at keeping the planes light, with a specail emphasis on the tail end. As for take offs, as with all tail draggers, you apply the power a little at a time and be ready to feed in the right rudder. As for landing, you still need to keep the speed up on both and land it. I voted for the P 47 only becuase I like that plane, however both kits are good flyers. The only real knock on the P 40 in my opioion are the retracts. I have used the Robart's with no success at all and the Century ones have taken a beating here on the boards. In my P 47, I had Spring Air and had no problems at all. Good Luck with your decision and in the mean time practice scale take offs and landings. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-13-2002, 07:41 PM
warbirdz1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-40 or P-47......

FourStar 40......Both of these planes fly very well...the main differences between the 2 are (1) the P-40 has narrow landing and a small tail which demands good flying skills, while the P-47 has a wide gear and a big tail which is easier for ground handling and landing...(2) the P-40 also has much more weight farther fwd of the C.G. which sometimes gives a tendency to nose over on landing if not careful....if your a seasoned pilot neither plane should be a problem for you..... BILL....
Old 10-13-2002, 11:06 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to all of you for your input. It will make my decision easier. I might just go ahead and get the P-40. But I will keep checking this thread out for futher info.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:00 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have both and have flown both. I pretty much agree with what is said here. The P-40 is more demanding of your attention and a bit less stable than the P-47. I find the 47 somewhat relaxing to fly but I am always keeping my eye on the 40. The 40 will definately tip stall if flown too slow but if brought in with full flaps and a relatively high power setting (fly it to the ground before killing power) you will be surprised how slow it will fly.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:05 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I think JLLAYTON has just been the deciding vote. I want a Warbird for the history, the glory of American aviation and also something that won't take all of the relaxation out of flying.

The Thunderbolt P-47 it is!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:12 AM
KevinS
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a p40 with ultracote and fixed gear. It does have flaps, you really don't want to build this plane without flaps. It weighs in at 9lbs, and does take some rudder input on takeoff. Other then that, its great, it flies really well, and landings are fairly easy as long as you don't slow her down too much. I have had no problems with this plane.

Kevin S.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:34 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I am planning on building one just like KevinS did and maybe I will change to the P-40 Warhawk. We'll see what other pilots say but if it flys good and lands good with the fixed gear and monokote or ultracote then what I really want is a P-40.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:28 AM
andybuch
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default TF P-47

Here you go!

Andy

http://1nvrc.com/AndyB1-R.jpg
Old 10-14-2002, 09:06 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man alive that is a georgeous plane! It kinda sends chills up my spine it looks so real. Great job!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:04 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fourstar40, The P-47 is the way to go it will give you your best chance at success, both in building and flying. My son (who has flown a P-51 for three years now) has always wanted a P-40 so we started the TF kit two years ago. We ran into the in order to make the retracts fit we have to remove the lower main spar problem. That held us up for a year we now have that resolved but I wish he had picked another plane for his first plane with flaps.

The P-40 has an number of problems starting with the reliablity of the rotaiting retracts and certainly not ending with the ground handling. We plane to make the first takeoff with a gyro on the rudder to allow us to concentrait on the rest of the plane, the problem is geting the settings correct for the first flight. I'll probly set it in my Me 109 holman then transfer it to that plane with the same settings.

I had one of the old red box P-47s for meny years, and it was my first plane with flaps. I learned alot on that plane and it never gave me any reason to dought it. It had a Super Tigre S-61 (inverted) for power, spring air retracts and at its peek I had it set up so that with five clicks of throttle, full flaps, and lined up to the runway the landing was automatic (you will never get that with a P-40, every landing wil be an andventure). It could even beet Ultra sport 60 in races on occation with that big fat bod. I moved on to bigger and better planes and it went from a every day flyer to a few times a month flyer and with the inverted engine it always required tinkering so I considered putting a four stroke in it for a long time. But the final decition was that to make it perform up to my other planes I had to remove the inverted engine and that was more work than I wanted at that time. So now I get reminded once a year how great that plane flys with an inverted .90 4 cycle when I go to Olean, NY. I'm glad he enjoys the plane.

Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2002, 03:02 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For your first warbird, you can not go wrong with the P-47. Of all WWII fighters, the P-47 had the second largest wing, the Hellcat had the largest. The large wing helps to make it a good flier. The ground handling is second to none. It is virtually impossible to ground loop the P-47. With flaps it lands at a walking speed. Here is a photo of a Top Flite P-47 I built last year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30502_4196.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	19291  
Old 10-14-2002, 03:03 PM
k_sonn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is a photo of a Yellow Aircraft P-47 that I just completed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	30504_4196.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	19292  
Old 10-14-2002, 10:11 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys are going to think I'm nuts but after all I have heard and the pictures of the P-47's I definately made up my mind with the P-47. It really is a great looking plane and from what I'm reading it will be a better plane for me. Thanks for All your help,Fourstar40.

BTW K_Sonn those are really beautiful planes.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:34 PM
k_sonn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fourstar40, thanks for the kind words. You won't be sorry with the P-47. The TF P-47 is one of the easiest flying warbirds out there. Mine weighed 12 pounds and it flew like a trainer. I recently sold it to a gentleman in Denver. If you have any questions about building the kit, feel free to email me and I will help as best as I can.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:36 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll be sure to do that k_sonn. I have built alot of planes but mostly sport type. I have done a piper and a cherokee but nothing of this kind of detail. I will definately keep you and all of the others here in mind. Thanks again, Fourstar40.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:57 AM
warbirdz1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-47......

FourStar 40....Looks like you've decided on a P-47......good choice.....its very important when building warbirds to make sure they are straight and true.....Pay attention to plans for the wing and tail incidence ( Relationship of wing/tail to fuselage centerline)and also ensure when building the wing the wing "washout" is correct....proper washout is required to ensure when approaching a "stall" condition...(not recommended at low altitudes) that the inboard part of the wing stalls first allowing ailerons to stay active.....When you complete your P-47 have someone (with warbird experience) help you with the first few flights until you're comfortable......BILL....
Old 10-24-2002, 01:08 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What power plant and retracts do you plan on using on your P-47? I have the TF P-47 kit and am planning on using an inverted Saito 1.20 and Robart retracts. I heard nothing but good things about the flight handling of this model. There are threads in this forum regarding the retracts if you are interested (Spring Air or Robarts appear the only good options).
Old 10-24-2002, 01:35 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

At first I am going to use the fixed gear, that way I don't have to mess with them. Then later I will put on the retracts. I am using a Tiger Shark 75A. I should be good power for it.