Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 07:48 PM
XTRA230
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 81

my servo setup using HK heavy duty metal gear and Servo extender ( Servo City) This gives me more options with end point etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77142.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1782354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57328.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1782355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83615.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	1782356  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: oriole

Anybody flying this version with a DLE 30? If so, how does it perform? Tower now has them at $284.97 before discounts. I guess they're clearing their inventory for the DLE 35.

I currently have a OS 200 in this bird which is balanced perfectly. Trying to keep the weight down and don't want to go with a DLE 55.

Oriole
Any one?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

oriole,

The DLE 30 is a good running engine and I would not hesitate recommending it to anyone. The arrival of the rear-exhaust 35 will generate reduced prices for a while on the 30 til it is sold out. In most cases the side-exhaust engines I have bought have needed an inverted pitts-style muffler so they always involved additional cost. The rear-exhaust design eliminates that need.

Can't be good news for the after-market muffler companies who have been charging premium prices for their products. If you can use the factory muffler for your airplane, the 30 is the way to go.

My 30 is in a Hangar 9 Taylorcraft swinging a 20x6 and using the factory mnuffler. I have had zero issues with it and am very pleased. All my DLE purchases have been trouble free, which is more than I can say for the BCMA, JBA, CRRC, and RCGF engines.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks Lifer.

Excluding the ignition battery, the DLE 30 is the same weight as the OS 200, and has more HP. So I'm thinking it should be enough power to fly it scale. It won't be a rocket ship, which is fine with me.

Oriole
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

After a long exit from the world of RC and warbirds, I am beginning to have the desire to start messing with some of my planes again. I have not flown, built or even charged a battery in over 3 years. Some of my planes show the sign of not caring for them, so I need some help. I started 2 of these great planes over 6 years ago { where did the time go} and now want to finish and get 1 in the air. One of the canopy's turned yellow, but not the other, I assume from the heat in my garage. My question is, will a Yellow Aircraft Canopy fit this plane, or do I have to try and find a stock canopy. Do you think I can bring back my batteries in my radio's and planes, or should I not chance it and buy all new. I have so many batteries the expence might be overwhelming. I know I do not have to replace all at one time, just enough to get flying again. One other note. Any of you guys aroind Chico, Ca. into warbirds. Thanks in advance, Capt. Winters
Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Lifer

My thoughts are to throw all the batteries away, including the transmitter set, so you won't even consider using them. Batteries are cheap compared to lost planes, hurt people, etc.

Contact the original manufacturer for any needed parts. You might get lucky!

Welcome back!
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 AM
JKreitz
My Feedback: (6)

I agree, the cost of batteries don't come close to the cost of the airplane or possible personal injury.
As far as the canopy goes, Horizon still lists it as available on their site for $11.99.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ts-arf-HAN2700
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks guys, just ordered 3 canopy's. I will start replacing the batteries as I get back up to speed with my flying. Thank you, Capt. Winters
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Lifer

Enjoy yourself and welcome back!
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
sbrackets

Hell Guys
Had a hard landing today with my P-47 and bent one of my (landing gear struts). Would anyone happen to have a spare set you would like to sell? I just need the struts that the wheel attaches too. Not the retract assembly. But I Might would take the complete kit if that's the way you would sell it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
tlroliff
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

Hell Guys
Had a hard landing today with my P-47 and bent one of my (landing gear struts). Would anyone happen to have a spare set you would like to sell? I just need the struts that the wheel attaches too. Not the retract assembly. But I Might would take the complete kit if that's the way you would sell it.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
As of last summer a friend and I were able to order replacement struts from Horizon through a LHS. Afraid I don't know the part number though. I saw some on e-bay at the time too.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
sbrackets

Fear not! I did find a set from Lifer. He still had his set and was not using them. I may upgrade mine down the road but can't afford a set of Robarts at this time so going to go back with the stock ones.

Jim
Old 03-21-2013, 08:55 PM
V2rider
My Feedback: (4)

Picked this one up a couple years ago NIB. I wasn't ready for it at the time so it has been sitting until now. For the last two years I have been debating what motor/engine to run. I learned on electric so when I bought the plane I picked up the P-160 and esc to go with it. last year I got bit by the gas bug so I have been looking that direction and finally picked up a DLE 35Ra for it this week. Only problem is the firewall to prop length is more like 6.5" instead of the listed 6.3." I 'm guessing the best way to deal with this is to cut the motor box back 1" and move the firewall back. can't really see any other way unless I just leave the prop hang out that far. I haven't gone completely scale crazy yet, but that just doesn't sound like something I would be happy with so I guess it will have to be done.
After reading all the nightmares about retract problems with the stockers I bit the bullet and ordered the Robart electric mains the other day. Not cheap, but the set I have for the TF GS 190 are really nice gear so my hopes are high for these as well.
I wanted to strip and glass this one, but since winter is almost over and I'm just getting started I think it will fly with the stock covering this year and if it survives the summer then it will get redone next winter.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Lifer

Buy shorter standoffs and recess the carb back inside the mounting box. A common practice.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:57 AM
V2rider

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Buy shorter standoffs and recess the carb back inside the mounting box. A common practice.
I thought about that, but I don't think the rear exhaust will let me get off that easy. No big deal. I just need to look at the length of the 50-55cc engines before I move the firewall back. Might as well make room for one of them now. If it makes it through a season and I strip and glass it I think I may want to also go with a bigger engine to turn a 4 blade prop as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: V2rider

ORIGINAL: Lifer

I thought about that, but I don't think the rear exhaust will let me get off that easy. No big deal. I just need to look at the length of the 50-55cc engines before I move the firewall back. Might as well make room for one of them now. If it makes it through a season and I strip and glass it I think I may want to also go with a bigger engine to turn a 4 blade prop as well.
A B&B muffler would give you a little bit more room because its canister is much smaller than the stock one.
I emailed Denny at Bennett (B&B) to see if they had one of their mufflers available for the DLE35RA yet and he said he did not. He did say that he would make them available if a guy were to send the hole centers for the muffler bolts. I don't have a 35 yet so I can't.

Don't know how much larger the 55RA stock muffler is than the 35RA but this thread compares the size of a Bennett muffler next to a stock muffler of the 55.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11401556
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

I would just pass the dle35 since youre already considering a 55cc any way. I purchased this model the first month it came out years ago, and ran three different motors in it. Zenoah 26 evo 35 gt and finally a regular dle55. Im running a cut down to fit china cheapy inverted pitts off ebay and im telling you, if i only had run that 55cc from the get go i would have saved a lot of headache and been out flying more. Cutting down the motor box is quite straight forward anyway. Measure, dremel, drill glue and balance, youre done! The 35 evo to me was borderline power, mine is at about 19 lbs. But this is a fat warbird jug, it needs and flies well with more power. The airframe handles it too. If you look back years, near the beginning of this thread people were talking about how they worried if airframe would fail with a big 35cc motor lol but thats all debunct balogna/baloney now. You figure a regular 55cc aerobat has maybe only half the wood structure and mass as this model and yet they handle it with ease.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
V2rider

I think that is just what I will do. The shop I got the 35 from should let me exchange it toward the DLE55RA. If I'm going to cut an inch off the motorbox I might as well go ahead and cut an inch and a half and run an engine that will let me turn a 4 blade prop.
Turning a 20"4 blade prop has been m,y goal all along on this one. It didn't take long to figure out that the P-160 wasn't going to do that so I moved the plane to the wait list. The more I looked at it going electric and turning a 4 blade prop and getting any decent speed I was going to be running 8-10lbs of motor and battery for a 8 minute flight. That was NOT what I was looking for from this plane.
Glad I found this thread. I think it's time to grow a pair and go ahead and cut into the motorbox. Could be interesting, but time to remember the old shop class rules of measure 25 times and cut once, and cutlong and sand to the mark.
The bad thing is I got the new Robart electric retracts today (yes they look NICE! pics to come) I'm also tempted to strip the covering and start glassing. To many projects and not enough time as usual. Time to pick one and get in gear.
ORIGINAL: Tisoy909

I would just pass the dle35 since youre already considering a 55cc any way. I purchased this model the first month it came out years ago, and ran three different motors in it. Zenoah 26 evo 35 gt and finally a regular dle55. Im running a cut down to fit china cheapy inverted pitts off ebay and im telling you, if i only had run that 55cc from the get go i would have saved a lot of headache and been out flying more. Cutting down the motor box is quite straight forward anyway. Measure, dremel, drill glue and balance, youre done! The 35 evo to me was borderline power, mine is at about 19 lbs. But this is a fat warbird jug, it needs and flies well with more power. The airframe handles it too. If you look back years, near the beginning of this thread people were talking about how they worried if airframe would fail with a big 35cc motor lol but thats all debunct balogna/baloney now. You figure a regular 55cc aerobat has maybe only half the wood structure and mass as this model and yet they handle it with ease.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 AM
smkrcflyer

My son and I have each recently pick up one of these so now I have two of them in my work shop. They are both in good condition with low air time. One has a Thor 45 the other a Saito FG36 (gas version of the 2.20). They have the stock retracts that we will be up grading. If anyone has parts for this plane that they don't need let me know especially retracts and cowl. The cowl from the new 30cc plane will fit but one with the correct colors would be nice to have as a spare. I did order a canopy to have if needed.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
sbrackets

Hello Group
Any body out there have a set of Stock gear doors laying aroung that your not using, and would sell?

One of my gear doors folded back and broke yesterday after the a ruff landing.

here is a photo of what they look like.

Let me know what you have and what you will sell them for.

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	1871981  
Old 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Lifer

I replaced mine with some made from 1/16th ply. Heat-formed a curve to match the airfoil and covered with flat grey monokote. Stronger and looks fine.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 PM
sbrackets

Hey Lifer
Thanks for that idea, I might try that. Yeah I broke one of the two struts that I bought from you a couple of months ago. The spot weld broke on the top scissor point where it attaches to the strut causing the wheel to turn 90 degrees and caused my plane to nose over on landing. When the scissor broke the wheel assembly dropped out from the oleo strut thus allowing the weight of the plane to rest on the wheel cover causing it to crack.
The landing really wasn't that hard just a couple of hops down the runway. That was the second flight on that strut. Good thing I have an extra one Poor welding on Hangar 9. I will try to have it re-welded soon so that I might use it again down the road.

Jimbo
Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Lifer

Looks like we're both in the business of keeping an old airplane flying! Bye the way, I test flew my Top Flight giant-scale P-47 ARF last week. Sweet! I'll link the video to you when my friend gets it on YouTube.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM
sbrackets

Cool.... I have a giant TF P-47 in the Box that I'm starting very soon also. I just purchased all my servos, batteries, engine, and retracts, and a "NEW" Spektrum DX18 transmitter to control her with to boot.
Yes please do post the video when you have it ready.

Regards, Jim
Old 04-15-2013, 02:17 AM
Lifer

Also, you don't have to buy an after-market muffler for the TF P-47 if you are using a DLE 55. Just rotate the engine til the cylinder is pointing at the 7 o'clock position. It all fits without any cowl cutting. Always nice to save $120.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.