Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Old 08-19-2005, 05:14 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

I like the Top Flight products , but I hate the bull marketing secret crap , as far as I am concerned they are both winning the war on differant fronts , H9 is definitly kicking butt on the 90 to 120 size warbirds arfs , and Top flight kicks butt on the kits from 90 to 120 on the warbirds , then Top flight struck a blow with the new Mustang ARC and ARF and now H9 is winning again with the P47 , so enjoy the battle , as long as we the modeler get to reep the rewards of good competition and quality /price then I hope they keep fighting lol .

As far as the P47 , H9 did a fantastic job , a little dull cote and weatherning and this baby will look like you spent a year building it !!!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Here hear!
Old 08-20-2005, 12:35 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard on another thread that Top-Flite is actually working on an ARC/ARF Version of THe B-25,,Some GreatPlanes Rep told a modeler at a show this news and it should be out by Christmas..It would be a Double blow to have this B-25 (80" plus range) and the IMAA Legal P-47 ARC/ARF released at the same time....DECISIONS,,,DECISIONS>..
Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 AM
LDM

Now that would be cool , I need to start a post on "how to hide that big box from sweetie pie wifey "
Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

It's simple, just make sure there's a little box at the same time, fill it with jewelry.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:26 PM
lownloud

LDM, you are absolutely right. Healthy competition between the two is good for us. Now, I am not in the marketing business but I know that if a small target audience was paying attention to a product that was in direct competition with what I was about to release....... I would make sure the audience knew it had options.

Top Flite knows this is a serious offering from H9 and I would suggest they at least let the consumers know if there is a large P-47 on its way from them. If not, they will forfeit quite a bit of money. Since we dont even know if one is in the works from TF, my guess is they dont have one on the way. Or they have a horrible marketing director.

Looking at the video and instructions, that retract settup (especially because I fly off of pavement) will most likely work pretty well. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is cooler than a giant scale P-47 Razorback. Especially one you dont need to buy 400 dollar retracts for! I may have to "sleep on the couch" for a few days after the box arrives but so what.

I bet this will be a big seller for H9.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
LDM

Good points guys , one yes little box for her should arrive first ..lol
then big box for me can come home to papa !!!

As far as Top Flight , I agree I think they just dont have one and they are slow to react . H9 has an agreessive product development department and they are succeeding with the "first to market approach " , I spoken to many hobbu shopes and the say that the corsair flew out , then the P40 flew out of the stores , now we are all waiting for the P47 like little kids for the ice cream truck .

I for one cant wait when you look at the cost its really not that bad , Giant build it your self kist kit $279 , retracts , $279 to $350, accesories to finish , probably another $250for covering , wheels, linkage (not including radio and engine )
Old 08-20-2005, 07:23 PM
discusmike
My Feedback: (2)

I'm not a ARF guy,i prefer to build mine and fiberglass for strength and other reasons,but now there making one in the 80"wing span range with flaps,its got me thinking,thats a nice bird,my only down fall is i always end up busting up mono coated planes,im like a bull in a china shop,i do more damage transporting then flying!But i think im going to give this one a shot!!way to go H9
Old 08-21-2005, 07:52 PM
oldtyme

All,

As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between Top Flite and Hanger 9 and they both serve their purpose. I am a builder..........I only buy an ARF when I want to experiment with a plane that I don't love. I find it depressing that the majority of planes available today are ARF's.
I take great pride in what I "build" and I use an ARF only as a test bed for a different airframe. I'm in this hobby to relax and create................not what I'd select an ARF for. Top Flite is providing a very important niche in modeling in that it is providing "KITS" for builders. I also am pressed for time, but I believe that time spent in my shop is valuable relaxation. I don't disagree with
ARF's but I believe that Hanger 9 is supplying a needed commodity and Top Flite is providing the same in kits. I hope Top Flite will continue to provide the caliber of kits that they do because they are exemplery products and serve us builders well. It would be sad to sink into only having ARF's to assemble and if we wanted to do something else we would all have to become scratch builders. Like the rest of the world..............we should not be in so much of a hurry to participate in this race of a life but to slow down and make time and relax with what brings us pleasure.

Just a few thoughts in my not so humble opinion.........I don't believe in acronyms either!
Cheers,
Andy
Old 08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
lownloud

good points Randy.

However, I find it most relaxing when I am sitting on the couch drinking a beer waiting for my new plane to show up.
I am into flying.

I also surf and I dont shape my own boards.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

good for you, but some of us find it more relaxing to fly. no one ever said that top flite should stop making kits either . Funny how people who like ARF's never go into a kit build thread and tell people how much of a waste of time building a kit is yet the oposite always seems to happen, if you want to vent about arf's maybe you should start a new thread.

Can we just have this thread to enjoy without all of these outside negativities!!!!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:21 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

CHeers MUGENKIDD!!!!!! I have built Many, Many , many kits and quite nice ones at that... Seems like the ones I spend the most time on I hate to fly and end up selling.. I have the most FUN just assembling and CUSTOMIZING the ARFs/ARC's... I can really build if needed..but enjoy detailing/customizing like I said and FLYING!!!!!!!!!
I am looking forward to many more ARF/ARC and KITS in my future!!!!
Just being Positive[8D]
Old 08-21-2005, 10:31 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I also surf and I dont shape my own boards.

Now that, my friends, is a good point! And stinking hilarious!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:31 AM
oldtyme

GEEZE.........sorry guys..........there were no negatives intended> I'm buying ARF's as I said, my only real point was that maybe Top Flite does not see the need to compete with Hanger 9 in the ARF arena because it has it's own niche. Sorry if the point was taken as a negative. This is usually why I don't post to anything.

Regards,
Andy
Old 08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Wow. I dodnt even know a thread had started about the new P-47 till now. You guys are going to love this one. Its flies absolutely wondeful. I ddmo'd it at a club meeting last week and the guys flipped over it. You can see a few videos on that clubs site here:

www.aeromodelers.net

Go to the video gallery
Old 08-22-2005, 02:51 PM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

mike

If read back a page you'll see you are all over it. Maybe you can answer a feeew questions some other guys had Like what are the tire sizes. And there has been a concern on the retract mounts.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM
MMcConville

OK. The retract mounts have proved to be very good. It takes a seriously bad landing to break them. It takes anything weve been able to throw at it within reason.

By the way, it is loaded very lightly for a warbird at about 15.5 lbs, it is sooooo easy to land. Flaps down it sits in a beautiful 2 point landing.

Wheel size, yes, tht is one of the scale deviations. They are 3-1/2" which is a little smaller than trus scale. The tire shape is scale though. All of the scale bombs/drop tanks/dummy engine come with it. Even the scale display only prop is included.

The Ultratract (tm) retracts are killer. No flimsy geat or hard to set up linkages. The retract servos mount in the side plates of the gear (1 each gear) so the linkages are very short, stiff and easy to adjust. In fact the beauty is you can set them up outside of the wing, then just bolt them in.

I hope you guys like it, it is an amazing model.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:53 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,
Is there room between the spar and leading edge for scale size wheels. Those little wheels are a deal breaker for me, if larger one cannot be retrofitted. I know it is being a little picky, but part of the appeal to the "Jug" is thos big wide spaced wheels on approch. Gives the plane the look of muscle, and dinky wheels really destroy that.[:@]
Old 08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Mike,

Have you flown the P-47 with a G-26? I notice that you flew that one with at Saito, just would like to know how it flew? I too would like to know if there is enough room to add bigger wheels .
Old 08-25-2005, 11:09 AM
MMcConville

There is about 2.5" from the center of the axle to the main spar, so once you add a new larger wheel well you could probably use about a 4-1/4" wheel at the most. Of course you'd ahve to pull out the very nicely finished wheel wells that wre there to do it.

I have not flown it with a G-26 yet, but it would be ok. The Saito 180 had quite a lot of power in it. I plan to the the new Evolution 35cc in my own P-47. As well as panel line it and dull the shine with a flat cleat coat or brillo pad it down.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
shakes268

Looking at the Evo 35cc - it's a little pricey isn't it? It's more than a G62! I'm sure your cost is a little different from ours though
Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 PM
DrDeath
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks Mike,

I am thinking about striping and glassing it. Having someone else frame up a nice P-47 for me to glass is great! Less work to finish building it for me!! I believe someone said that the plane is completely sheeted, is that true?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:06 PM
BadLemon
My Feedback: (37)

Mike

How about posting your build and rework of the P-47. That would be a great thread to follow!!!
ORIGINAL: MMcConville

There is about 2.5" from the center of the axle to the main spar, so once you add a new larger wheel well you could probably use about a 4-1/4" wheel at the most. Of course you'd ahve to pull out the very nicely finished wheel wells that wre there to do it.

I have not flown it with a G-26 yet, but it would be ok. The Saito 180 had quite a lot of power in it. I plan to the the new Evolution 35cc in my own P-47. As well as panel line it and dull the shine with a flat cleat coat or brillo pad it down.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 PM
MMcConville

Yes the airplane is completely sheeted.

Cant say when I'd get around to putting one together for muself. I'm sure like most of my personal prjects, it'll end up in someones elses shop.

I woudlnt call it a rework. I'm just goiung to dull it down and panel line it. The thing looks so good, its woth the effort to scale it our a little more.

BTW, Pete Goldsmith will be at the DOGS fly-in in Dayton over the Labor Day w/e and is planning to take our demo model there. (I wont be there this time)
Old 08-25-2005, 06:01 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My BME 50 has found a new home. Was gonna buy a Y/A Jug, but to hell with it, H9's is a winner.

Please H9, don't do like with the good old 27% Cap 232, and leave this one around for a while.

But in all truth, if TF comes out with a Bubble Canopy soon enough, I'd go for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.