Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

read this thread properly and find the comments like the ones you posted. you will save yourself a ton of heartache. The covering and dings i can't comment on. The aileron and flap sizes , unless you have the one that actually has major problems. you will find when assembled properly they fit very well. This was discussed at the beginning of the thread when the plane first hit the streets. Most problems were from guys not reading the instructions and other posts properly. I hope that is the case with yours. By the way, I have over 150 flights on mine and it is the best fun plane I have ever flown. i would get another tomorrow if this one goes in.
good luck
Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

I just ordered a scale cockpit Tub for this H9 P-47 from Dino at AERO ACCESSORIES...

http://www.aero-accessories.com/P-47/H9P47/Cockpit.html

Now I need a proper pilot... any ideas....[8D]

G-PETE ..... where is your cockpit kit from???

MY H9 P-47 gets here tomorrow!!!!! Can't wait... Guess I will get out the heat gun and sealing iron to iron out some wrinkles....

-TOMAS
Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 AM
pc55bomber

Hi Paul

Read the thread from start to finish, and about the flap gap mentioned previously which did not worry me cause sometimes there are the odd small problems.
Fitting the ailerons and flaps ain't going to fix it.

However this ARF is all up the worst I have seen.
Overall its very poor, maybe they send the crap ones out here ??

Structurally its fine, just finished badly.

Decision was made to buy because of the info in this thread, good flying characteristics and came with retracts and oleo's.

I am not a newbie, but I consider a big name brand,$800 model should be at least as good as the competition.

Still looking forward to getting it flying.

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 AM
aeroscale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC55- Your point is well taken and absolutely valid. While the model does indeed fly well, it is lacking on fit and finish. Nothing that can't be remedied, but should you have to??
Dragoon- All the "proper assembly" in the world won't rectify parts that are ill fitting to begin with and, this may come as somewhat of a surprise, posts on RCU should not be required reading to supplement manufacturer's instructions or fabrication mistakes.
"You get what you pay for" doesn't apply in this case.................
AEROSCALE
Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 AM
aeroscale

Example..........
AEROSCALE
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 AM
aeroscale

Flap/aileron/wing junction............
AEROSCALE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38302.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	776266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53045.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	776267  
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

It is still a mass produced ARF, not perfect but pretty good. I think Hangar 9 IS BETTER THAN MOST and there are a lot of other ARF's that the construction is bad. I can live with the fit & finish but I certainly want it to be built good. If you want perfection buy a KIT! Everybody bashes the manufacturers but it is what it is, some are better than others. I love mine and will continue to buy Hangar 9, Great Planes, CERMARK, etc, because they can build them better and faster than I can.

R/C Foolish
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pc55bomber

Hi Paul

Read the thread from start to finish, and about the flap gap mentioned previously which did not worry me cause sometimes there are the odd small problems.
Fitting the ailerons and flaps ain't going to fix it. If you read the thread you should have been aware of this before you bought it.

However this ARF is all up the worst I have seen. I will be surprised if you still say this after you fly it.
Overall its very poor, maybe they send the crap ones out here ??

Structurally its fine, just finished badly. After 18 months of service I have just stripped the film and am about to glass & paint it.

Decision was made to buy because of the info in this thread, good flying characteristics and came with retracts and oleo's. It will fly well and yes it did come with retracts & oleos?

I am not a newbie, but I consider a big name brand,$800 model should be at least as good as the competition.

Still looking forward to getting it flying.

Cheers
Paul
Good Luck with it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
dragoonpvw

Unfortunately aeroscale. That is a perfect example. Thank you very much. You built it incorrectly.
Step three of flap installation, check to make sure the flap aligns with both the aileron and wing trailing edge. If it does not, move the hinges in or out until the flap is in alignment
This is why I advised Paul to read the thread so that he could avoid this mistake.

By the way, Virginian posted similar pictures and when I explained his mistake, this is what he wrote
It seems to me you are either a smart a..., or a jacka.... How can you judge others bulding ability if you have if you haven't seen the facts first hand
This is a link to a post where I illustrated his picture explain the mistake. I did it not do it to embarass anyone, just to perhaps others making the same mistake. Virginian never rescinded his nasty comment but the mistake is quite obvious. You are not the first to make it by any means. Unfortunately you missed the post below too.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4061294

Good Luck
Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 08:14 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

It was said that we should not have to use RCU as a way to fix manufacturers mistakes. I say thank you that we have this resource. RCU allows all of us to share our good and bad experiences so that in the end we all have a great flying machine.

R/C Foolish
Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
aeroscale

Maybe I did build it "wrong", must be the newbie in me.... I guess I just didn't want to leave a 1/2" gap between the wing and the flap leading edge. Bet that looks great on the upper surface flap cove also, huh? BTW, you could move the hinges to the next county and that wouldn't solve the angular mismatch between the edges of the flaps and aileron. How about we just accept the fact that the flap size is wrong and let it go at that?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:37 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Maybe I did build it "wrong", must be the newbie in me.... I guess I just didn't want to leave a 1/2" gap between the wing and the flap leading edge. Bet that looks great on the upper surface flap cove also, huh? BTW, you could move the hinges to the next county and that wouldn't solve the angular mismatch between the edges of the flaps and aileron. How about we just accept the fact that the flap size is wrong and let it go at that?
If it really bothers you that much, there's a post or two on the thread that'll tell you how to fix it. If you read the thread, that is....
Old 10-04-2007, 08:52 AM
dragoonpvw

ORIGINAL: R/C Foolish

It was said that we should not have to use RCU as a way to fix manufacturers mistakes. I say thank you that we have this resource. RCU allows all of us to share our good and bad experiences so that in the end we all have a great flying machine.

R/C Foolish
Its not a manufacturer mistake. Its a builder mistake. The flap area is made that way so that when it functions it will be in a reasonably scale manner. It achieves that very well when assembled correctly. The hinge joint is about 1/2 inch away from the wing so that the flap drops down and out more like the fullscale. The instructions are very very simple. How is that a manufacturing mistake?
Rick is a great designer builder and even he slipped, up but RCU is here to help each other.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:16 AM
dragoonpvw

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Newbie, thats a good one. If you're a newbie then Im a teenager. Maybe we sometimes have newbie moments just like we sometimes have senior moments.[
The gap on top is not too bad when built as per instructions. The angle is there for the same reason as the one on the full scale. It is a bit more pronounced on the model I must admit. Maybe it is to give a bit of extra room for the guys who cant seem to get ther surfaces mounted properly
anyway. Here is how it looks when it is built as per instructions. The top gap is there but it doesnt look anywhwere as bad as the mismatched trailing edge.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4043185
How about we just accept you didnt follow the instructions and leave it at that.
If it was one of your designs and someone was going round after not following your written instructions and not liking the result and blaming it on you, I bet you would be pretty put out.
I will see you around, maybe this fall. I love your stuff, especially the 105 Bronco so maybe I will to find out where you guys fly out there and come see it.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM
pc55bomber

Hi Guys

I did not mean to start any arguments with my comments.
My only disappointment is in the "value for money" side, with a BIG NAME ARF, and I stand by this.

My hanger has other big name ARF's as well as no name ARF's, thats where I make my comparison from.
As an example, my Minicraft 83" PT19 is great. I believe Minicraft is now Hangar 9, not sure though, so whats happened?

RCU is a valuable source of info, good or bad, which helps everyone in the hobby.

I like the plane very much and can't wait to get it flying.

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-04-2007, 08:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Paul, maybe you got one of those 'original' kits - you know, the ones they sent 'down under' when we in the 'north' had to wait for ours
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM
pc55bomber

Tailskid

If you knew my luck, your probably right. Good things come to those that wait.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
thevirginian

dragoonpvw,
I only can agree with pc55bomber 100% on his comments about the quality of this ARF. There were "quality issues" in the beginning and that's why Horizon didn't release the plane at the first announced release date. When I purchased mine I encountered exactly the same problems you did. No matter what you did the airlerons and flaps would not align correctly. You would end up with nasty gaps. I posted those parts here on RCU and, guess what, Horizon, without any questions sent me a couple or roles UltraKote. They knew of those problems. I was also not too thrilled about the overall apperance of the plane's finish. It looked to me like the rushed out the kits to get them into the stores after the long delay. The reason I was "nasty" to you was simply because you made me look like I had no building experience at all. I have attached a picuture of my rebuilt P-47, which looks soo much better now.

Name:	Nl29581.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	776844  
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM
pc55bomber

Paul

I have moved onto fitting the flaps and taken all of the advice of the thread, BUT I have the very same situation as post no 601 page 31.
The left flap just does not fit no matter what you do with the hinges. The right one is perfect, minimal gap.
The left one has nearly 1/2" TE gap (bottom) when lined up correctly, what the!!
Mine must be one of the early ones.

Anyone got a fix for this, other than rebuilding the flap ?

Thanks
Paul
Old 10-05-2007, 11:20 AM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

dragoonpvw,
I only can agree with pc55bomber 100% on his comments about the quality of this ARF. There were "quality issues" in the beginning and that's why Horizon didn't release the plane at the first announced release date. When I purchased mine I encountered exactly the same problems you did. No matter what you did the airlerons and flaps would not align correctly. You would end up with nasty gaps. I posted those parts here on RCU and, guess what, Horizon, without any questions sent me a couple or roles UltraKote. They knew of those problems. I was also not too thrilled about the overall apperance of the plane's finish. It looked to me like the rushed out the kits to get them into the stores after the long delay. The reason I was "nasty" to you was simply because you made me look like I had no building experience at all. I have attached a picuture of my rebuilt P-47, which looks soo much better now.
Picture background looks like NALF Fentress?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM
thevirginian

WLJ;
You must have been here before Yepp, you're right about that. It's Fentress
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 PM
pdubree

Virginian. Outstanding job on your refinish. what covering did you use? Did you flatten the color?

Pete

Pic below mine

Name:	Vt57457.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	777001  
Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
thevirginian

Pete,
Guess what; all I did to the wings was to go over it with the iron and then with 400 Wet&Dry.This scuffed up the UltraKote for the finishing clear coat. But before that I drew the panel lines on it. Top amd bottom. Then sprayed it with "Minwax Helmsman Satin Spar" Tries quickly and looks really great. It supposed to stay clear and don't turn brownish in the sun. The fuse is glassed and then sprayed with "Lustrecoat" Olive drab. Too bad the don't make that color no more. Was almost a perfect match to the UltraKote. The pictures don' t do the real thing no justice. It really looks great and people keep asking me if I scratch built this plane.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 PM
thevirginian

pete;
Yours looks kinda similar to mine. At least with the wite stripes on the stabs. Here are a couple more pictures of mine.

Name:	Vt56716.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	777097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62800.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	777098  
Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Sierra11861

Hi folks, just bought this kit and in the proces of building it. Having a problem with the tail whell assembly binding with the rod that travels through the tail wheel connection to the rudder. I have been buidling kits for 20 years and have not seen this much bind up. Any sugguestions? This thread is very long, I wanted to use a search engine to search only this thread but could not figure out how to do it. This is becusae suggestions my question here is probably already in this thread somewhere but you can understand I would not want to read 2,500 entries to find it.

dave in Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.