Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New 81" P-47 ARF coming from Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Air Sally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ballons a tad if you go full flap while going too fast.so 5% should work.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:04 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by Air Sally
Mine ballons a tad if you go full flap while going too fast.so 5% should work.
Will about a quarter throttle be good or higher?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Air Sally

about 40% should be slow enough if you have the gear down .
on another note I found my stabs were kinda loose so I removed them and found the fiberglass tube that the alum spar runs through was loose ,so I reglued it and then glued the spar into one side of the stab with silicone and then glued both stab roots with silicone and the other stab half ...then used blue locktight on the 4-40 bolt for the stabs,and put a small piece of tape over the bolts so they don't fall out. once the silicone cure the tail should be tight.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:51 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Flew mine for the first time today. WOW is an understatement. This plane flies NICE. Had to add 20 % expo to the elevator, it is a tad sensitive. Going to add a 1/2 ounce lead to the nose too since it seems a touch tail heavy, but at full throttle, flies on rails. The problem I was running into was at half throttle, the DLE30 was surging which caused the plane to porpoise. So some minor tweaking of the plane, and the DLE30, and replace the hatch I made to access the switches that got lost. OOPS. I have a feeling this may become my next go to plane, it ground handles nice, it takes off nice, and I landed it without flaps, and it just came in nice and smooth, not hot, no tendency to tip stall, just nice flat glide. I have to adjust the elevator mix with flaps, it ballooned when I deployed them, so going to get those set too. It looks nice, flies nice, and takeoff/lands well. So glad I got it. The DLE 30 is plenty of power for this plane.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:08 PM
acdii

Well, made a new hatch today, found some small jewelry box hinges and used those and a canopy latch to secure it, not coming off. Also tweaked the landing gear and put all the options and stickers on. It has the bombs and center tank attached now. I finally figured out how to do multi position flaps on my Futaba 14SG and wiped everything else out in the process, so have to assemble the plane and reset everything. Needed to have 2 AIL + 2 Flap for it to work. I also put a small opening in the cowl for a screw driver so I can adjust the needles with the cowl on(hopefully).
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 AM
smkrcflyer

acdii,
I have one of these that's been sitting in the basement for a few years. Have not flown it yet because of a few reasons. One is I don't like the engine that's on it. Your comments on how the DLE30 works is encouraging. Could you post some pictures of the engine installation?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:06 AM
acdii

If I can't tune it through the cowl, then I will get some when I take the cowl off. I had to modify the firewall to make it work or it would have stuck too far out. Here is what I have already.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Air Sally

Acdii good for you,i landed mine by myself on sat .full flaps...just carry some power,and it floats right in.like a butterfly with sore feet. I had to tighten up my wheel to keep it from taxiing too fast.the big DA -50 and 22x8 prop.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:24 AM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

I got mine out this year again and have been flying the hell out of it. What a great P47. DLE60 with smoke.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 AM
acdii

Is yours the 150 or the 30? Reason I have a DLE30 is, thats what I had. It flew good with the 30, it must be a rocket with the 60.

I wonder, are the bombs and center tank right on CG? I installed them this weekend after my flight and re-balanced the plane, and it is still in the ball park, actually a touch nose heavy now, I added 1/4 ounce. I found it to be a touch too tail sensitive on the maiden, so wanted a bit more nose weight. When the DLE30 was surging at half throttle, the nose would pitch up and down with the revs. At just a bit above half, it smoothed out and flew nice and level, but just a little elevator would pull the nose up. I find it interesting that this plane has a dead on 6 1/8" balance point instead of a range. In any case, with a little nose weight, it should be nice and solid in flight. I also figured out how to make the Futaba do two position flaps at slow deployment speeds, but haven't figured out how to mix elevator. There is no specific ele>flap or flap>ele setting. To make the two position flaps work I have to set up 2 ail and 2 flap. Probably have to do a program mix.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM
TimT2000

Sounds like you are doing great. I am with you on warbirds and nose heavy. With the DLE 60 up front, it flys great and lands even better.
I have the sierra retracts and a brushless smoke pump, lots of fun and gets along right @ 100mph.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Air Sally

just a real bummer that they make a batch ...then stop ????? makes no sense. H-9 should do a rerelease ,maybe a bubble top ,it would be easier to make
Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Air Sally

ACDii so in the pic of you motor it appears as though the exhaust pipe is pointed up dumping it in the cowl??? or do you have a pipe or hose to reroute the exhaust?
Old 09-06-2016, 03:47 PM
acdii

Oh that was just trial fitting. it actually points down. I think that was before I decided on how I wanted to put the exhaust. I was considering an extension and canister muffler, but once I got everything in place I decided to cut the muffler pipe to be just a tad longer than where it exits the cowl.

What I did was pry off the original firewall, really easy to do, just remove the screws and give it a whack with a dead blow while the motor was attached, fell right off. Then I epoxied a 1/4" thick ply on the back of it, and glued it back together. I then cut out the opening for the carb, and notched the lower left for the muffler. I also added some triangle stock and lots of epoxy. I used 30mm standoffs since I didn't have the stock ones, which were too long anyway, and some 2 1/2" long 10/32 cap screws to attach it. I used throttle cable and made my own phenolic throttle arm and made a bracket out of aluminum for the choke lever which comes out the front through the dummy engine. Mounting the engine took the longest out of the whole assembly.

I will try to get some pics next time I have the cowl off for better detail.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:15 AM
deadstick79

I maidened mine a couple weeks ago. Problem was that I bought it used and ASSUMED the previous owner had the CG correct... major mistake! She took off with authority and started climbing steeply and I could not get her nose down even on full rates! I flew it for about 2 minutes in wagging stall mode til she finally dumped a wing and went in
Needless to say, I need a fuselage! Everything else is in amazingly good shape!
I know this model is 10 years old now but do any of you think that I could find either a fuse or a whole kit around? And what sourses should I check?
Many Thanks,
Dan
Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine did the same thing but it was not a balance issue; the stab's incidence was off. Got mine down in one piece and a full 1/4" down elevator was it's new neutral trim setting. Flew it for 7 years before I sold it.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:58 PM
acdii

I doubt you will find a new fuse, but unless it was a total loss, it can be rebuilt. My T-clips is smashed up past the F2 wing joiner, but I can rebuild it, just takes time a patience. I snapped my Top Flight P-51 ARF in half and was able to piece it back together. Give it a try, you might surprise yourself at how little it takes to rebuild one. The covering can still be purchased and is so close in color that it would be hard to tell what is new and what isnt.

Post pics of the carnage.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:56 PM
smkrcflyer

Originally Posted by deadstick79
I maidened mine a couple weeks ago. Problem was that I bought it used and ASSUMED the previous owner had the CG correct... major mistake! She took off with authority and started climbing steeply and I could not get her nose down even on full rates! I flew it for about 2 minutes in wagging stall mode til she finally dumped a wing and went in
Needless to say, I need a fuselage! Everything else is in amazingly good shape!
I know this model is 10 years old now but do any of you think that I could find either a fuse or a whole kit around? And what sourses should I check?
Many Thanks,
Dan
The Top Flite P47 kit canopy (part #TOPQ8042) is very close in size and there is a guy on RCG that can make you a new cowl. I think his name is Jeff Haywood.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:00 PM
Air Sally

my son got one of his cowls it is very nice and made from epoxy .
Old 09-14-2016, 02:16 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the cowl guy. If you were closer, I would make you a helluva deal on my whole airframe!
Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
smkrcflyer

Originally Posted by JeffH
I am the cowl guy. If you were closer, I would make you a helluva deal on my whole airframe!
Jeff, You live near my daughter, she is in Newport News.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:32 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I am 10 min from Newport News.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:26 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by JeffH
Jeff, do I understand you can make a cowl for the H9 P47 150? How much? How soon?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 PM
acdii

I would have made a mold of my cowl if it weren't cracked. Once the gel coat cracks, making a mold is a PITA as the resin tends to get into them no matter how much wax and release agent you use. I made molds for my P-51 and Goldberg Chipmunk, so I can make new ones when I smash them up. Need to make a new one for my Mustang as it is smashed pretty good now.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:03 PM
acdii

Well, my turn to replace the cowl. I hit a building with the right wing while landing. I think it hit with the wing and prop, but not sure, All I know is I completely misjudged the size of the plane and was further back than I thought. The plane is easily repairable, but it is out of commission until I do. Left wing got the leading edge ripped out where the gear is, and the right wing tip has a crease in it so I have to open it up to repair anything they may have been damaged there. The forward part of the fuse is cracked in a few places, and the firewall will need to be replaced, the cowl is intact, but the gel coat is all busted up, so will have to get out my epoxy and fill in the areas that busted out, then sand and paint it.

The hardest thing to replace is the wing tube, it got bent.

The plane flies so nice, very disappointed that it got discontinued. The wind was not in my favor, coming out of the SW, which leaves me with having to line up between this building and a tree line and I usually am able to bring it right down between them, but with sweat getting in my left eye, and not used to flying something this big, it was too easy to misjudge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.