Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Roamin Research Mig-3 Qs

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Roamin Research Mig-3 Qs

Old 10-21-2002, 02:10 AM
Nikita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roamin Research Mig-3 Qs

Guys,
I am going to start building the Mig-3 soon. Just ordered the full wood kit from a kit cutter.
I am looking to buy some retracts for it, I would like to know if anybody has any advice. (In case you don't know, it's 101" wingspan). I would especially appreciate any input from people who've built/flown this model.
Any general construction tips would be appreciated. I am thinking of making the wing in 3 pieces, the central part with retracts on it and two consoles. What have others done?

Thanks a lot. Nikita.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:01 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine had a one piece wing, I had Robart 150's in mine with the straight leg. Weighed 27 pounds. Great flyer!
Old 10-21-2002, 02:09 PM
Nikita

Hi F4u5!
I actually sent an e-mail through RCU because you were the one who got me interested in this! When I saw your picture last winter I knew I had to build it! Maybe you never received the message.

Anyway, how do you use the 150s? On Robart's website they say they are rotating. As I understand it, they fold backwards, whereas the Mig should have them folding inwards. Can you explain to me how this works?

Also, what wheels did you use? Anything special?

Thanks. Nikita.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:26 PM
F4u5

Must not have gotten it, altho I did replay to a guy last week about a MiG-3 last week, but have just returned to town after 4 days...may have been you. Anyway, on the gear, it was a 150 series, which in the old days, was designated by the frame and retraction unit. I used the same gear Zioli called for in the P-47, but with a straight leg. Whil I did not build that MiG-3, it builds just like a Ziroli, nothing hard about it. The only drawback is that the plans show fixed wire gear, so you have to draw in and cut out for retract installation, but more time sonsuming than difficult I would believe. You will really like the way the plane flies....very stable, fast, but slows to a crawl for landing without dropping a wingtip. I will take a peak at the Robart site and try to get you a gear part number. I used Dubro 5.5 inch wheels.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:31 PM
F4u5

Yes, it is a 150 series. You need the Robart #151 with a 90 degree retract angle, straight leg. From Robart Site:

90 Deg. Straight Strut
(pr.)
MSRP $320.00
MAP $285.00
Old 10-21-2002, 05:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of plans and cowl from Jeff on E-Bay about 3 years ago for the Mig 3. I really want to build this thing, but just have too many projects ahead of it. Maybe this year. I was thinking about doing the wing in 3 pieces also, and maybe cutting the wing and stab out of foam.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:58 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey all,
for those of you that dont know, Jeff's old Mig is now on the West Coast, and undergoing a major overhaul at HVN Custom Models, (HVNmodels.com). The plane flys great, lands as discribed, very straight ahead with no vices what so ever. (I saw it a tad bit boring because the plane flew with such ease and ability) Henry will be posting up some updated pictures on his site of the overhaul, which included re enforce of the landing gear rails, strip of all covering and glass with 1 1/2oz cloth and West Systems Epoxy, a more detailed cockpit, and a Lovely little Brison 5.8 on the nose. You will love the plane, nothing like a warbird that looks like a Golden Era Racer.

Ray
Old 10-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Nikita

Thanks for your answers, guys. I ordered a set of 151's.
Now, what about the spinner? Where would I get one that big and warbird-looking like?
Nikita.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:14 AM
F4u5

My old one had a Mustang style....readily available from just about any spinner dudes. I do havve plans to build one at 125 inches after the big corsair. As Ray and Sung know, I wish I still had my old one.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Nikita

All I see is 5" or 5-1/2" spinners. Measuring the plans and the cowl that I have I think I would need a 5-1/4" spinner. Does anybody make them this size? Or do I have to custom-order for big bucks?
Thanks again. Nikita.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:38 PM
AirRayInc
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mig 3 pictures

http://hvnmodels.com/hvn_page_2.htm
At the site above are some pictures of the overhaul of the Mig 3 that Henry is working on.

Ray
Old 10-25-2002, 04:40 PM
F4u5

Cool...that's quite an overhaul from the days I remember. hope all goes well. Is that a new glass cowl, or did he build the wood one from the plans?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Nikita

This is really interesting! Make sure that more pictures get taken and posted - I'd like to see the setup inside the fuse especially. But it's a cool looking plane, even in primer.

I also have a question about the cowl - was it cut? I am actually thinking that one way to use a 5.5" spinner is to cut part of the cowl, so that the front is 5.5 as well. Any ideas on the spinner? Tru-turn can make a custom one for me. There is only 1 problem with it - $1500. That's more than I am going to spend on the rest of the plane!
Nikita.
Old 10-26-2002, 05:15 AM
HvnCustom Model

Default Thanks

That is a new cowl bought by the current owner. Lots of detail going into the plane now.

Spinner is up in the air. Making modifications to the nose to take a spinner like the Mustang one that came off. There will be more pictures as the work continues.

Henry
Old 10-26-2002, 01:17 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought a set of these plans back when Romin was still in business,, I then reduced the plans about 55% which made the plane have a 56" ws..

AirRay remembers the good 'ole days of Warbird racin at the Basin
The Mig was wickedly fast with ys61 and right @ 7lbs

Anyway this has allways been one of my favorite airframes, and these plans are very well done,, I would love to see a kit in the 1/5 or 80" span class,, looks like I'll have to scatch one if I ever want to see one in that size??

We'll see

Good luck with your Mig
Old 10-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Nikita

What do you mean by "back when Roamin was still in business"? I bought my plans from them in the spring. Has anything happened since?
Nikita.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:44 PM
HvnCustom Model

Default Mig 3 update

Just about done, here is a picture, there are more in my site,
http://hvnmodels.com/mig_3_pg_2.htm
Henry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67180_10691.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	19979  
Old 03-31-2003, 08:49 PM
Oryx

Henry,

That is really beautiful. Maybe I should move "Mig-3" further up on my to-do list
Old 04-01-2003, 03:45 AM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

The Mig 3 is a great flying plane and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a great flying plane. I should have the one HVN Models refinished flying in the next few weeks.

Sung
Old 04-01-2003, 06:28 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did someone say flying???

Henry good job on the Mig3! Tell Sung to be nice to it.

Hey Sung, let me know when your taking the Mig-'tree' to the basin and I will bring my FW190... I need some target practice... , or is it me now that you have a 5.8'er.

Vic
Old 04-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Hey Vic it will have to wait til the weekend of the 21st. Just try to keep it straight and level and I will take you out on the first pass.

Sung
Old 06-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Stagwing

Nikita
Old 06-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Stagwing

Nikita, I tried to post earlier but hit the enter button before I got finished. Any way,, I started a Mig-3 two years ago. I built three airplanes for other people since I started the Mig so I am back on the Mig project again. I scratch built a Beechcraft Staggerwing, built a Ziroli F9 and a few others like trainers and a midwest AT 6 I inherited unfinished. I should have the mig ready by the end of the summer. I scratch build from the Romin Research plans. Any new information about spinners, cowels and gear would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Nikita

Hey,

My Mig has stalled, although I have completed the frames. Now need to figure out how I am going to make tail surfaces removable and lots of other stuff...

As for the parts. I am using the cowl/canopy/exhaust stacks from some company that makes this specialty stuff. I think I paid about $100 for all. Gear is from Robart, it's the 600 series, don't remember the number but can find out. I ended up with a spinner from Dave Brown. It's 5" in diameter. Does not fit perfectly, I will have to extend the cowl a little bit. The shape is not exact, but acceptable.

Nikita.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Stagwing

Nikita, I would like to know the exact Robart number for the gear. I have a local contact in our club that builds very nice gear. I might get him to make the gear for the Mig if he is cheaper. I started on the wing center section today. Finally got all the ribs cut out and shaped. I think I will make a one piece wing since I use a stationwagon to carry the planes to the field, there is enough room. I fly at the Black Sheep Squadron flying field in Greenville, SC. Web site is BSRCC.com I think might be just one C try both. Nice field lots of old heads that can help with most any project. My Staggerwing is in the pictures.

I am going to try to attach some pictures to see how to do this. there should be a picture of an F9 and a Beech Staggerwing.

Well I did a preview and got no pictures. Can't figure out how to attach a JPEG. I 'm glad scratch building isn't this hard, I might have quit long ago.

Dan
Gravity always wins....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	85555_27867.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	19980  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.