Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

mig-3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:56 AM
txaggie08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mig-3?

is there a mig-3 kit available(not an ARF preferably)
Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: mig-3?

How scale do want it?

Typically the Russian war birds don't translate well to r/c models (Scale anyways) due to the smaller wings and wing loading associated with them.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn shame as they are really pretty little beasts
Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 AM
IdefixRC

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

VQ has a sport-scale ARF of the MIG3
Old 08-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: txaggie08

is there a mig-3 kit available(not an ARF preferably)

There are plans available for the Dick Sarpouls design Mig 3 through the AMA. Accessories are available from Fiberglass Specialties
http://www.modelaircraft.org/plans04.asp

Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice MiG-3 available thru Roamin' Research...see Hi-Flight.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:04 AM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

Don't beleive Romin Research is still in business.... However you can find their plan from time to time on rcu or e-bay. Fiberglass specialties also makes the canopy and cowl for this as well
Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 PM
txaggie08

I saw the VQ one, and its a REALY good looking plane, but im interested in a kit.

I have a foam, electric version of it, for electric combat, and ive fallen in love with the design. ill see if i can get the plans from ama and wor on them.....thanks
Old 08-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Like Jeff / F4u5 say's the Roamin Research plans are available sometimes on eBay or RCU, keep your eyes open. As for Russian warbirds not translating well to RC is not so. Dave Andersons La-7 is excellent, as is Jerry Bates Yak-3, Roamin Research Mig-3...and there are a few others. I am slowly desinging an Il-2 and a Pe-2 (both in 1/4 scale)...about 18 months away on the Il-2 and 20+ on the Pe-2. I'm not autocad literate, so I'm doing everything the old fashioned way...ala Dave Platt, but I don't see this as a drawback. There can be errors in a cad designed model just as easily...what goes in is what comes out.
Rob / katchmarek
Old 08-17-2005, 01:44 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob, I'd be interested in the IL-2

Jeff
Old 08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
txaggie08

illd be interested in the plans as well.....thats the path i want to head down with the hobby, and russian warbirds are by far my favorite planes.....

if you need help with CAD drawings, i have several friends who are VERY good and could probably be convinced to help
Old 08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
Katchmarek

Jeff and txaggie08, the plans won't be done for some time yet, as it is a part time venture...I have customer builds to work on to make $$ to finance things like this. I'm trying to keep the hobby paying for itself...hard but I usually do okay. Cad help would be cool! I have a good friend who will be doing a 1/4 scale FW Ta-152 H as well! so within the next couple of years there should be some cool new big warbirds around!!!
Rob / katchmarek

PS. Jeff, you have anything on the table now? My health may keep me from Moscow this summer...still trying to make the trip, but I've been in and out of the hospital. I'm missing the Moscow Air Show which is this week which I'm not happy about, it's a great show!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Rob, I'm getting ready to put glue to a Yak-11 and ES335 mentioned over at RCU that you may be the guy to talk to about some documentation. I've found some great stuff on the net but I'm still looking for good cockpit stuff and a paint scheme. I want to do an in-service aircraft rather than a restored example but details concerning the Yak in military use have so far escaped me. Most of the paint jobs I've come across are some shade of light blue/gray which may be a bit hard to see! Anyway, if you have anything you would be willing to share or any sources that you would recommend I'd be greatful. Thanks in advance, Chad.

PS- More details about my Yak here: http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=4244&PN=1

PPS - Sorry to hijack your thread txaggie! In case you are interested, there is a full size Mig-3 being restored to flight worthy in Russia. The work looks outstanding from the few pics I've seen. I'll see if I can find a link to it. There is another being restored for Jerry Yagan's "Fighter Factory" in Virginia which is also to fly but will be powered with an Allison. The Russian restoration will supposedly fly with the original AM-35 powerplant.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 PM
txaggie08

dont mind the thread jack at all......heck this can turn into a discussion of russian aircraft now for all i care....i like them all, and this thread has served its purpose in its original capacity
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Katchmarek

Chad, Sorry, I don't have anything on the Yak-11. I've focused mainly on the WWII stuff. I will be talking to my brother-in-law near the end of the week, and maybe he can get what you need. If I understand correctly, you're looking now for cockpit shots? Let me know. Just a thought, on the airliner site, most if not all of the pics give the photographer and a means to contact them...perhaps they may have additional pics as well?
Rob
Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the reply Rob. I am looking for some good cockpit stuff yes, but even more than that I’d like to find some good color documentation for a Yak-ll/Let C.11 in military service. Russian, Polish, Czech, whatever. I’m just looking for a scheme that is authentic for the airplane other than a shiny restored example and preferably not overall light blue. I just purchased a book off of ebay covering the Yak-11 in Polish service so maybe that will be of some help. I will gladly accept any cockpit info that you may come across but, as this is the prototype, I will probably not go excessive with the cockpit detail. At least not until after the first flight! I had not considered contacting any of the photographers from airliners.net, thanks for the idea.

Here is a link to the restoration of the Mig-3 in Russia: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/rusavia.html
Here is a link to the Fighter Factory restoration: http://www.fighterfactory.net/airpla...g-3-photos.php
Old 08-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

txaggie08,

I managed too get a few pics of the Dick Sarpolus design Mig 3 today. A friend of mine is currently in the process of building one. Unless you are set up and well versed in foam cutting....this may not be the design you want to choose. Not to bad for a sport scale version...and there are several other sport scale variants that could be built off of this same design with a little thought. Also, the Sarpolus design shows a fixed gear....so with a retract installation, you are sort of on your own. You will also notice the fiberglass canopy frame that was made. The canopy as it comes from Fiberglass Specialties has a warp/twist in it. This is remedied by cutting the canopy into two sections and installing them in the frame individually.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62276.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	312894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72087.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	312895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50833.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	312896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67732.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	312897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46273.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	312898  
Old 08-20-2005, 08:19 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3.html#colors THIS A GREAT SITE FOR RUSSIAN PAINTS
Old 08-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Chad Veich

If anyone is interested, here is a link to some pics of the nearly completed Mig-3 restoration in Russia. A very exciting project, IMHO.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47195
Old 08-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I am looking for details on the canopy rails as to how the canopy was supported when it was in the full open position. Of all of the stuff that I have gathered in I have nothing that is definitive for the canopy slider system.
Reading this thread got me all hopped up again. I actually charged the batteries for the Likes Line retracts and played with them. I am making a 3 piece wing on the Roamin Research MIG so that I can leave the fuselage on the centersection. Everything is framed but I still need to mount the gear and decide whether to use a blade spar or just round tube it and get on with things.
ORIGINAL: Katchmarek

Jeff and txaggie08, the plans won't be done for some time yet, as it is a part time venture...I have customer builds to work on to make $$ to finance things like this. I'm trying to keep the hobby paying for itself...hard but I usually do okay. Cad help would be cool! I have a good friend who will be doing a 1/4 scale FW Ta-152 H as well! so within the next couple of years there should be some cool new big warbirds around!!!
Rob / katchmarek

PS. Jeff, you have anything on the table now? My health may keep me from Moscow this summer...still trying to make the trip, but I've been in and out of the hospital. I'm missing the Moscow Air Show which is this week which I'm not happy about, it's a great show!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM
bmandlret

I scratch-build the mig -3 with a 84-inch wing span. flying with a 30-cc gas engine, if you are experienced builder I have most of the part from my computer printed out .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22696.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	1561191  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have plans of the Roamin Research Mig 3 and pics in my gallery of mine
Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 AM
lightning 759

hi
imps scale do a mig 3 , about 80 inch
waiting for mine to come back from the cit cutters
with a short kit
andy
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is a pic of my Sarpolus Mig 3. I love this plane. It flies wonderfully and is quite light. With an 88" wingspan, it came in around 15 lbs. I have a DL 50 on it and it is a great combo. Yes, the canopy really sucks I believe. With a little time, it could be made to look nice.
I do not have the link handy but if you search "Warbirds over the Rockies Mig 3" There is a great video of it flying. You will notice how well it lands, and mine spends a lot of time inverted. Great vertical as well.

Damn, cant get the pic up. I will try later.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Chad Veich

Here is some inspiration for you Mig-3 builders and wannabe builders. These shots are of the restored Mig-3 owned by Jerry Yagen while it was being test flown in Russia. The aircraft is now in Virginia undergoing "deep maintenance" as I guess the original restoration was not up to Yagen's standards. This airplane contains much original material but is powered by an Allison engine rather than the stock unit. These pictures were sent to me several years ago by a gentleman who was associated with the restoration in some way but I can't remember his name or the details of his involvement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.