Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)

Old 10-24-2002, 08:04 AM
Thaba Raptor
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)

Iam interested in a not so often seen scale/sport-scale warbird.

The China Model Productions range of warbirds came under my attention and they look like good value for money ARF kits.

Do anybody have one of these planes?

What are they like in the air, any good or bad comments.

What power plant are you using?
Old 10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Do you have a link to China Models?
Old 10-25-2002, 04:26 AM
Thaba Raptor

Try www.odieart.co.za Then go to the CMpro link Also try a US link www.giantscaleplanes.com
Old 10-25-2002, 04:49 AM
Glitch

G'Day Thaba,
Just finished a CM pro FW-190.
Installed a Saito 170 R3 which fits nicely in the cowl.
Added Robart retracts, a single servo drives the flaps.
Glass fuse with nice panel lines and a matt finish paint, very attractive. Foam core wings, veneered with a solartex finish, again nicely painted. I added a little glass cloth around the firewall to fuse join to beef it up a little.
Also had to open up the slot for the retract mounts which worries me a bit as I can't tell how much meat is left in the mounting rails, I suspect not very much. Added on board glo with a 4400 mil nicad, so I was a bit worried about the wing loading but it flies very well, a nice match for the Saito.
The ground roll is quite straight with only a little rudder needed.
I think using a smaller engine would mean adding a heap of weight up front.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:36 PM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Default Hellcat

somebody has to know something about this arf??

Are the tail surfaces airfoiled? From what I understand the wings are built up balsa then sheeted before covering is applied so the ribs do not show, otherwise it looks like a nice plane and really fits a nice nitche in the ARF's dept. Plenty of P-51's, Corsair's now we got a Hellcat! Wow! But....is it worth it??

I am getting a great (I think) deal on one if I purchase it before the weekend so please...post what you know!!

From what I have seen so far these ARF's can vary in quality and design from model to model even within the same manufacturers product line, so to compare the FW to the Hellcat may not neccessarily be a fair comparison. For one, they uses a different retact although I think it is safe to say that all the Arf's out there could use some beefing up or modifications in this area. Secondly foam core vs built up balsa wings. Just a thought..
Old 10-26-2002, 05:34 AM
Glitch

G'Day AC2,
The CM Pro FW-190 tailplane & elevators are a flat section, solartex over open frame. The fin is aerodynamic as it is part of the glass fuse. Nice detail moulded in.
A 'light-ply' skin over foam core wings, covered in solartex.
The canopy is separate which allows some cockpit detail.
Agreed, it needed a little beefing up in places. I still worry about having had to remove a little wood from the gear rails to fit in robarts. So far it's been gentle onto the ground, but one day ...............
They sell for around AUD$450 down under, so somebodys making a killing if you blokes are paying $400 real US dollars !!!
Old 10-26-2002, 05:45 AM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Default Hello Glitch,

"somebodys making a killing if you blokes are paying $400 real US dollars !!!"

Oh, no, not me!

Thanks for the info on the tail feathers. I would imagine the Hellcat would be the same in this area but again, until someone buys one and posts the info, won't know for sure.

G'day!

AC

Glitch, post a pic. Like to see your handy work!!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:39 PM
grahamd1
My Feedback: (1)

Glitch

I have sent you an email
Old 10-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Glitch

Hi Graham,
Sorry, just got your E this arvo. (Re the CM Pro FW-190.)
As I mentioned, I had to widen out the slot where the fixed gear 'block' normally fits. My Robart retracts are 25 mm across the operating section inserted into the wing. I had to make up new legs that extend 188 mm from the edge of the pivot block to the axle bend. I wasn't too keen on the supplied wheels so used some nice 88 mm diameter ones, dunno who make them, but they are bolted together rims (6 phillips headed screws) with snap in covers and the rubber is embossed 'Goodyear all weather'. Due to the thickness of these, I had to Dremel out the base of the wheel wells to accept the wheel and have the gear door flush with the wing. Because of this I couldn't have had them 'twisted' a little as they would have then partly protuded under the wing when retracted. Yes, when down they did not extend forward of the wing but with the Saito 170 radial and a 4400 m.a. nicad up front for the onboard glo, the C of G was spot on. There was no tendency for the model to nose over on take-off or landing and we fly from a smooth grass strip.
The model flew really well with the Saito seeming the ideal engine. On the 3rd flight I was pretty upset when the Eclipse 7 simply lost control on all channels on a widish downwind leg in the circuit. The post mortem revealed the transmitter was way down on output. When the Saito is repaired I'll certainly try another FW. Good luck with yours.
Regards,
Bill
Old 10-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Wayne22

It looks pretty nice. Hellcats had a pretty big wing for a fighter, so I would expect it should fly decently if the weight is reasonable....
Old 10-27-2002, 05:55 PM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

Default F6F

I regularly fly my Wing Mfg. F6F Hellcat it is a excellent plane. OS 91 with a 14/7 graupner prop does everything one could ask. I would guess that this arf is probably just as good. This plane has a lot of wing area and is stable. With a short nose and long tail everything must go forward. 4 stroke a must also. My estimation of this plane. Greg
Old 11-11-2005, 04:45 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Default RE: F6F Hellcat ARF (China Model Productions)

Hi, my F6F just arrived today, I bought it on Ebay. I saw ads for F6Fs from 2 different sellers, the pictures are diiferent but it seems they are all the same plane. I would like to put retracts on this one, any idea if which ones work best? I plan on using a 120 4 stroke, I have a FS91 Saito, but am not sure it will have enough power.
I have done a very quick inspection on the parts and i like what I see so far. The cowl was a surprise with very nice detailed panel lines and rivets. I will not be using the supplied decals and hope to find a nice plane to base this one on. Any thoughts on engines, retracts or areas of concern that need to be modified or beefed up would be appreciated.
Thanks, Denny
Old 11-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Hellcat716

I am using Sierra Percision retracts and a YS 120 with great success.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82528.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	352514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72844.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	352515  
Old 11-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Thaba Raptor

I fly mine with an OS 1.08 mounted sideways, with a Bison Pitts Muffler. I used Century Jet retracts. Both engine and retracts performed very well.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
tenacious101010

Thanks for the input guys, I went to 3 swap meets in 2 weekends and came home with a Saito 1.50 and am going to get a set of new robard retracts for $75, the price made my decision. I am sure I dont need the power of the 1.50, but it would probably be better than the .91 Saito I was gonna use. Hellcat, your plane looks great. Did you paint right over the covering? If so, what did you do to prepare it for the paint? I want to change my colors too. I will have to figure out what size 3 blade prop will work with my 1.50.
Denny
Old 11-15-2005, 03:57 AM
Hellcat716

I recovered the wings and tail section with monokote.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:37 PM
tenacious101010

I have my Saito 150 installed, along with Robard retracts, a glow driver, it is nearing completion. I could not find the CG location or control throws in my manual, can anyone help me with these, posting them here might be helpful to others too. I know I can find a formula for the CG, but what have others found works for them?
Thank, Denny
Old 01-04-2006, 08:32 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought two of these and one has been flown. The other is being stripped down and glassed (the wing that is). The first plane was flown with a Saito 100 and Robart retracts. It flew great. Required 15 ounces of lead in the nose. Lands smooth and predictable with no bad habits. Take offs are easy and very realistic. Flight envelope is good, will drop off a little in the roll if you are slow, but recovers quickly. The airfoil shaped tail surfaces are very scale looking. The wing is built up with wood and is very strong. A newbie crashed the first one on a dead stick when he paniced and rolled it over on its back. These planes were bought from Raidentech at a cost of about $130 each off of Ebay. Quite a bragain, wish I could get two more at that price.
Tommy
Old 01-05-2006, 03:40 PM
mpriestley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the hellcat for 3 years now, I put the RCV 120 with a solo prop 3 blade prop, robart retracts with oleo's, on board glo. I LOVE THIS PLANE.

I took the time to beat it up a bit so it looked even more scale and I painted the decals on instead of the stickers (huge difference in appearance) the plane flies great, very scale and fun. I get so many compliments from this "ARF" it is hard for me to admit that it was an ARF.

just throw away the hardware (screws etc... ) it is all crap.

You will not be dissapointed with this plane IMHO.

ps. I have had 2 hard mid-airs and I have come home both times under heavy damage but this is a tough bird. the other planes involved in the mid air.... were not so lucky.

Damage: 1st time the vert. stabalizer on right side broken and bent down and back, elevator on that side, chopped by propeller and just torn up.
2nd. time, fist size hole in the fuze just behind the wing, flap completely shot by prop, and vert. stab again broken away from fuze and bent back and down. during the mid air the other planes propeller entered my fuze and cut the rudder control rod. plane made it back to the runway and will fly again on Sat.

my 2 cents.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:07 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Go to the giantscaleplanes.com website. There is an icon on the left side entitled "Instructions". Click on it and it will bring up manuals to all of the GSP (CMP) planes. For the Hellcat, control throws are on page 13.
ORIGINAL: tenacious101010

I have my Saito 150 installed, along with Robard retracts, a glow driver, it is nearing completion. I could not find the CG location or control throws in my manual, can anyone help me with these, posting them here might be helpful to others too. I know I can find a formula for the CG, but what have others found works for them?
Thank, Denny
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 PM
tenacious101010

Thanks for the help oriole. I looked at my manual and it has 12 pages, no 13th page. I went to the site but I encountered a problem when viewing the document, it showed for a second and then it greys out. No idea what up with that. Thanks for the input.
Denny
Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 AM
oriole

Elevator 15-20MM Each Way
Rudder 25-30MM Each Way
Flap 20-35MM Down
Ailerons 15-20MM Each Way
Old 01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
tenacious101010

Thanks, Thats a big help, now all I need is a CG and I will be ready to get it ready to fly. This is one cool looking plane, I cant wait till I can get it in the air. Again, thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Denny
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM
oriole

CG is 120 - 135 MM From Leading Engine on Each side of fuselage
Old 01-07-2006, 08:39 PM
tenacious101010

Thanks very much orieole, I should be flying this plane soon, thanks to you. Denny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.