Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

I need a spinner

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a spinner

Ok guys...I'm running into much more trouble here that I ever thought I would. Basically, I built a 1/5th scale Spitfire from 3-views. It's a competition aircraft and I planned to make a scale static spinner and prop and use a Pica Spitfire spinner for flying, thus I mounted the engine using the Pica which has a "skirted" backplate that the spinner screws onto. After finishing the plane, I decided the Pica was too long and generally didn't look right on the Mk I Spitfire that I built. My first thought was to contact Tru-Turn to see what they might charge to make a 5 inch spinner with a skirted backplate in the shape I want it...$1750 was the quote so plan B....Gene Barton...I emailed him to get a quote and though he was gracious about it, he said he would have to order a minimum of ten spinners from his supplier......expensive.....now I'm down to Plan C...which I'm still working on. I won't fly the plane until I get a spinner and I can't believe there is nobody making a 5 inch spinner for a Spitfire....with Pica out of business, I couldn't even use them if I wanted to.....does anybody have any suggestions as to where I could turn to remedy this? Chad suggested making my own but I tried that once and the spinner was very difficult to balance....the twist here is the skirted backplate since I need that to match the engine location....if worst came to worst, I could recut the engine standoff pylons to a non-skirted backplate....I'm open to suggestions
Old 09-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: I need a spinner

LA7, you better clarify which Spitfire Mark you have built and which spinner shape you are looking for lest you get inundated with information on MkIX spinners! I will dig up those articles I mentioned, can't hurt to look them over eh?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

LA7, you better clarify which Spitfire Mark you have built and which spinner shape you are looking for lest you get inundated with information on MkIX spinners! I will dig up those articles I mentioned, can't hurt to look them over eh?
Good point, Chad. Spitfire Mk I ......5 inch spinner with the "acorn" shape and a "skirted" backplate
Old 09-07-2005, 04:12 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

How about making one? I read an article a few years back written by Bob Underwood. The article seemed to present a pretty simple method of construction, foam and metal if I recall. From what I remember reading it did not seem like a really difficult project. Good Luck.