Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:15 PM
jcw111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Steve-------------Thanks for the pics of your installation. Looks simple enough. You mentioned a good point about the exhaust mess. I looked at the exhaust on mine and boy the oil must get all over everything. Using 20 % oil content won't help either.

Thanks again for your help

Jim
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
sseward
My Feedback: (1)

Jim,
Don't worry about the mess! Seeing that exhaust come down the sides and out those stacks is worth it. Also, I think the biggest part of the Mess is the crank vent which I tried to bring out the bottom behind the radiator. The RCV puts out lots of oil out that vent and it was thick on the bottom of the plane. The OS 120 isn't going to do that. I use a two step cleaning process......1st use a citrus based (orange) cleaner to cut through the crud, 2nd use good ole windex to shine it up. It didn't take too long to clean, and as I said, it's worth it!

Steve
Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
XTRA230
My Feedback: (10)

Hi
This is my engine install ST2300 Was a Bugger I had to get the muffler rewelded otherwise outlets in the middle of this lovely Cowl.was not to bad after the Muffler Mod.Made a timber bracket for the silicone outlets (Heater hose) If You look you can see the throttle servo inside the mounting box.I also fooled around with the servo Install all up with this setup the CG was spot on the requirements.Hope to test fly on sunday,Wind permitting.On the east coast of Australia It Is a bit windy lately Hope to have some pics
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21672.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	568920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42436.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	568921  
Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 PM
Wile E
My Feedback: (2)

I found the Hawk on floats pics from September:

Name:	Ki19595.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	571341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78829.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	571342  
Old 12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an original pic. Too bad it's not color.

Name:	Lj22905.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	574978  
Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Can you imagine what a rush that was?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 PM
neilt162

Rob, I hope you got good wind on your test flight . It has been blowing for the last month up here at PRAMS (Pine Rivers) We were to go to Gattonsfield (not sure of spelling) for Southern Cross Warbirds open day, this weekend but it was blowing to heavy. Post us some pics of your bird flying and a test report please.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 12-21-2006, 12:38 PM
G-Pete

After reading most of the posts here, my decision was made yesterday.

I ordered one from Omni Models $399,-- shipped.

I plan to put a Evolution 26GT in there, from what I’m see and reading here this engine will fit. The Keleo exhaust is a pretty good looking thing, I will make my own…
The tail wheel mod is mandatory, no doubt. I’m just wondering how much drag the wires produce.
This is a wonderful airplane and I look forward to work on it.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete
Old 12-24-2006, 11:37 PM
flynte

I have read all the posts also, and have put my order in for one also. I am going to try the Saito 125 in it, hopefully that'll be enough for it. Waited till now for the christmas shipping rush to be over so it doesn't end up on the bottom of a bunch of tossed in packages.

flynte
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 AM
hookemut
My Feedback: (3)

Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year!!
Good flying with your Hawk!!
hookem,
deep in the heart of Texas
Old 12-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Neil Dahl

A question for the group.

I have completed my P6E @75%. It came with an OS 91 surpass 4 stroke. Does anyone know how this plane will fly with a 91 4 stroke?

Thanks Neil!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:49 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

it will be under powered. flys nice with 120 4 stroke
Old 12-25-2006, 10:02 PM
n9331v

Wont fly very good with a 91. It fly's ok but not great with a saito 120. I really like this plane flew it all last year without a single problem.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:17 AM
XTRA230

ORIGINAL: neilt162

Rob, I hope you got good wind on your test flight . It has been blowing for the last month up here at PRAMS (Pine Rivers) We were to go to Gattonsfield (not sure of spelling) for Southern Cross Warbirds open day, this weekend but it was blowing to heavy. Post us some pics of your bird flying and a test report please.

Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil
Well Finally flew on sunday Xmas eve Wind was not to bad Marty the Club Pres flew for me.idont do test flys,Was a bit rich on bottom end and so test was flown at about 1/3rd throttle Man was I Happy!! Flew great and what a floater just did not want to come down.Way to much power but pull the throttle Back.Needs a little less elevator Bit More nose weight And should be great.Pics to follow Left my camera at home But lucky a couple of the members had there's So Will post ASAp A couple of the Guys Are going to Join Southern Cross So hope to run into you in the New Year
All the best
Rob
Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 PM
feathermerchant

Must be tail heavy. Mine is a little nose heavy with the sound system. I used a Sharpie to mark the CG on the underside of the top wing for quick checks. It can be removed with rubbing alcohol.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:45 PM
G-Pete

HO HO HO

Name:	Ki20272.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	584099  
Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 AM
XTRA230

Yes it was a little tail heavy.That is fixed just need to tickle the bottom end Apply decals fit W/screen Fit Pilot and cockpit surround and time for more fun Hope to see if the guys have the pics will post when available Today been working on the P47 But that will be A different thread
Rob
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Neil Dahl

Thanks to everyone for their input on the OS 91 4 Stroke for the P6E HAwk.

Tower has great customer service. They are alowing me to exchange the 91 for a 120 and pay the difference.

Again, Thanks!!!

Sincerely,

Neil
Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Well, after just over a year (maidened on Christmas Day 2005) and 100's of flights, my Hawk is history. Went to a fly-in on New Year's Day and the airplane was flying as well as ever. After several circuits around the field I flew the downwind leg, turned to bring it back upwind and lost complete control. All I could do was stand and watch as it turned over on its back and then spun in. The airframe is totalled. Thankfully no damage to the engine or servos. I cycled the battery when I got home and got 197 minutes at a 500 mAh discharge rate and the switch and all wiring check out fine. No idea as to cause but I've definitely attended my last fly-in using the "old technology" radios... will be using the Spektrum system from here forward. I'll be assembling another one as soon as I get the new Staggerwing off the workbench.

Name:	Fd92150.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	590064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59237.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	590065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61208.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	590066  
Old 01-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Man - sorry to hear about your bad luck. Got a couple flights on mine today. Great plane!

Name:	Xv64100.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	590145  
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 PM
flynte

That is terrible [&o] . But on another note, mine showed up today with a Saito 125 for it.

flynte

Name:	Ay76060.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	590265  
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 AM
harrymcwilliams

GaGeeBees,
I'm sorry you lost your bird. I recently changed to the new Spektrum DX-7 system in my P-6E and I love it! No more radio problems! NONE!!!

Harry
Old 01-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Baroncowboy
My Feedback: (1)

Wow,this post is still going.... Its been almost a year since I posted anything... I did get my Hawk airborn and flew it twiced still breaking in the Satio GK 150 I used to power her... It flew beutifly and never had any flight glitches...
Unfortunatly,by Feb. 1st,some one stole my plane engine and radio gear,minus my 9C radio... I had taken it to my Grandad's farm just down the road,but decided to leve it assembled and transport it tied down in my truck bed to show him my new Hawk...
Unfortunatly I made a bad desision to leave it locked in a building beside his horsebarns,since it was closer to the field...
Somehow,and still unusual someone managed to pick his lock and steal my Hawk while leaving all of his thousands of dollars worth of tools untouched,then willingly relocked the building before leaving... Hmmmm...
Story short - Grandad and step Grandmother are the only two that have keys to the building...
Grandad has money....Grandads sencond wife dislikes most of the family... Including me.... No one knows anything.... Including step Grandmothers 29 yr old son... Son immediatly stated he wants nothing to do with it when brought up... No one files report except me... Cops do nothing about it... You get the rest of the story!... So hopefully I can get another one some time,but its seldom I have the extra 1000 bucks to regenerate this plane... Sorry to burden you all with my rediculous news,but I just ran accross this page again and it made me really miss having this plane...
Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 AM
thevirginian

GaGeeBees;
Man, I only can imagine how much that must have hurt you. Let me tell how lucky I was a few weeks ago: It was a beautilful Sunday, perfect for the Hawk. Everything was charged up and ready to go. I turned on my Hawk and noticed I had no receiver charge. Hmm, I thought, how come? I charged everything last night. Well, perhaps I must have turned on the switch by mistake and left it on. So, I decided to give it another charge at the field. Thirty minutes later my charger beeped on me indicating a complete charge. I check with my load voltmeter just to make sure: Charge is good and steady. Off we go! So I taxi out and take off. After a great flight I come in for a smooth landing, which topped off this nice flight. The Hawk came to a stop at the end of the runway. I tried to turn her around- nothing happened. Geee- where is the throttle response? Where is any response at all? Nothing! I dragged the Hawk into the pit and checked the battery-nothing at all. I remove the battery and check it again, while holding it in my hand. All of a sudden I had full charge again. At home I found a loose solder tab on one of the cells which caused this intermittent charge-no charge effect. I was darn lucky not to lose my Hawk like you did. What I wanted to tell you was, have you checked your battery? Are you sure it is good? Hope you can sort out the problem. BTW, I received my Spectrum DX7 yesterday. It goes in my brand new CMP-Hellcat which is powered by a FPE 1.3 gasser.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
G-Pete

January 1st 2007 - maiden flight of the GP P-6E.

The plane was built between Christmas and New Year, it was a blast to build this plane. All parts fit good together and there was no damage from the shipping. As I said, Omni Models charged me $399 shipped for this bird. They shipped it fast too.

My choice of engine is the Evolution 26GT, this motor swings currently an 18x6, the rpm are at 9000 around. This engine is very smooth and with the evolution muffler not really loud. With this engine in the front, the battery in the motor box, the ignition on top, the plane balance right out without adding weight anywhere. My main battery sits on the CG line.

Of coarse I made the tail wheel mod, looks and works well. One of the mods were also the fuel cell – the stock one had 21 ounces. I chose a 14 ounce. This gives the airplane and the pilot plenty time. The 26GT sips only fuel.

Fuel: this is one of the reasons I changed completely to gas engines. This size cost to operate just 0.19$ a flight compare to a glow with $1.25 a flight (15min.).

Anyhow, back to the subject.
During building I discovered I had an I4C siren laying around, so I mounted this puppy in the plane. The siren worked fine in my Ultimate. Unfortunately the spinner prop broke off during the first test. I will send this unit out for repair…bummer.

As usual I fabricated a stand with schedule 40 pvc pipe for the assembly. I would highly recommend that, makes life so much easier. This makes it possible to mount the landing gear at last. The plane is always level and it is easy to turn around on the work bench. (less finger smears on the fuse too..hehehe)

I did not like the idea to have the elevators on one servo. I have Hitec 475 all around except the throttle. Since my throttle servo sits in the front on the motor box, the empty slot came handy. The servo tray is now reinforced with 3/8th triangular stock along the screw line of the servos.

Usually I dump the hardware supplied with the ARF’s, but here is this not the case. What good hardware is in this kit. 4-40 rods, metal clevises and good quality screws and nuts. Great Planes you know how to make a Modeler happy.

Maiden flight:
After checking everything twice, range test with motor off and on – the plane was ready for takeoff. 5-10mph wind 50 degree Fahrenheit sunny and clear. I taxied out to the runway – last check on the control surfaces – slowly advancing the throttle and the tail lifted up pretty quickly. No problem to keep the plane in the center of the runway. With a little more the half throttle she lifted and climbed out scale like. After the first bank I had to give some up-elevator, besides that NO corrections necessary.
It is very much fun to pilot this airplane – she tracks very well and low and slow flybys please the crowd – you can hear the ah and oh’s. So far I did not try the high rates the touch and goes are fantastic. Landing is a charm and looks awesome.

Debriefing.

I looked at this plane for a while – I read here this thread and finally ordered one. During the build it came clear if the plane flies like it looks…
Well, the plane flies like it looks. The pictures do not justify the real looks of the plane you have to see it, more then that you have to fly it! if you consider to buy that plane, go-ahead and buy it – you will be not disappointed.

I took more pictures and a video of the maiden – I will post them later.

Happy landings[sm=thumbup.gif]
G-Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.