Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Slviper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: P-6E Curtis hawk (build thread)

Bobby,
I agree with you. On the shake down run before the maiden on my Hawk the on board glow wire shorted against a fin on the Saito 180. This could have been fatal if not being run by separate battery. It burned up the glow system which was replaced by the MFG no questions asked. My tip is to run the positive wire through some fuel tube where it can contact the engine.
Steve L
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: ANZAC

Hi Guys, I dont know if this thread is still going, it is so long! What I would like to know about this plane is this, does this hawk need differential on the ailerons, if so how much?Also does she need rudder mixed in with the ailerons on turns, if so how much for this? Regards Col
I haven't tried differential. I mix 40% rudder in with ailerons and it turns beautifully. I don't think you'd get a similar result with aileron differential. It would probably still need some rudder mix.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
I've decided a while ago to go with a second battery to power my glow driver on my models that have a glow driver installed. I am a little concerned that using the receiver battery for any other use then direct control of the aircraft is a risk. I ran a smoke pump of the receiceiver battery once...and when the pump locked up and stalled...I ended up losing a great model. I'm not sure it you would ever have this kind of issue with this glow driver, but I would want to make sure my Nicad or what ever power sourse I used to power my receiver and model electronics was at least double the power needed for all operations. The model is large enough to carry the added weight of a second battery with ease, and what I would use. Glow drivers can use up a lot of energy...
Soft Landings always,
Bobby of Maui

P.S. I'm stil waiting for my Solo Prop, and scale exhaust to arrive, to start this project.

I would never, EVER share the Rx battery with the glow driver; not on any plane. I wouldn't share the Rx battery with anything. The weight penalty for a dedicated battery pack for the glow is really minimal and certainly not an issue for this bird.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
superalex69

Hi again...

And the tread goes and goes....

Well.. in the manual they recommend some silver soldier to place the clevis... I've never used that! Is it difficult.. do I need special equipment, I have a tool to solder little wires.. What do you recommend for this? the rod is to wide.. to make z's.

Sorry! this is my first big plane!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
dmesecher

This is one long thread. Can anyone tell me If Kelvin is still making the exhaust for this plane. I am putting in a EVO gx 26cc when they comeout in March. The link for his email does not work anylonger.

Thanks
Don
Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
flyfisher431

Yes he is still making the exhaust. I bought one last year. I think I'll finally get stared on the assembly and detailing of my Hawk next month.

You can contact him at http://www.keleo-creations.com/

Ben

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
dmesecher

Thanks for the reply.. After many nights of reading this amazing thread I have decided to put on one of Kelvins exhaust. I have one on order and hope to have it when my engine is delivered at the end of this march. This thread has had many good tips on this plane and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who contributes the knowledge they have. I will try and post a pic of the evo and kelo exhaust during my build. Can hardly wait to hear that gasser run with those pipes on it.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
mac7875
My Feedback: (2)

Hi all, can anyone tell me where the antenna tube exits the rear of the plane [&o]
Old 02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

It doesn't.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

I had Kelvin powder coat my exhaust for the Hawk white. Great job and looks great.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 AM
mac7875
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:05 PM
aubreyinhouston

If you haven't seen it here a replica homemade P6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR2shZHlsek

and here a Great planes ARF P6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnG3Pv9G7U
Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 PM
aubreyinhouston

Heres another of A GP P6E....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8hK...eature=related
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 AM
aubreyinhouston

The first production P-6E (sn# 32-233) was delivered to Wright Field for testing and the remainder of the production run (with the exception of the very last Hawk 32-278) were delivered to three squadrons. The 17th Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group at Selfridge Field, Michigan, the 33rd and the 95th Squadrons from the 8th Pursuit Group at Langly Field, VA. Of these only the 17th was solely equipped with the P-6E. There is not much information about where these aircraft went after they were getting "phased out". I do know that several were spread out to different bases and used as "hack ships". For example the "Wright Field" Detachment ship. At least one "Bolling Field" detachment ship. Another Hawk ended up at the 2nd Wing General Headquarters of the Air Force. This ship was possibly 32-260.

The 17th PS was the only squadron solely equipped with the P-6E and was the squadron who had the famous Snow Owl paint scheme. The scheme was painted for their participation in the 1932 National Air Race.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi All, If you read the history about this plane, a LOT of them were crashed and destroyed. Mostly around Selfridge Field Michigan. Sad thing is there were not that many built in the first place. One also has to wonder if all were recovered or just left where they fell.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Heli-NuBee

Test
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Heli-NuBee

Hi Guys,

I had my maiden flights with my new Curtiss Hawk P-6E today. The plane flew very well with a Saito 180 as power. I must say that I was a bit surprised that the 180 was not in the least overpower in my opinion. It has pretty good vertical but definetly will not hover with the MA 16x8 three blade prop and Saito 180 engine. I must have a little vibration from the prop because I lost three of the wing bolts on the second flight that ended my flying for the day. I will check the prop balance before I take her out again. At this point I am wondering if I made the right choice for an engine because I could have purchased a gas engine for a bit less money that would also be much more economical fuel wise. The Saito 180 is a very nice engine but it is a bit thirsty. All in all, it has been a good day and the plane performs quite well. Here are a few pictures.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55833.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	908221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58980.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	908222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94866.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	908223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20710.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	908224  
Old 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Slviper

Hawk pilots,
If you just have to hover the hawk go with the MAS 2 blade. Also if your Saito is new you can expect better performance and less fuel use after full break-in. Lost screws may just be the big Saito! My 180 and 220 both remove screws with balanced props. But the sound is worth it.
Steve
Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Heli-NuBee

Don't get me wrong. I am not knocking the Saito 180. The Saito 180 is a great engine. It starts easy and runs great while making good power. However, like all large bore nitro engines, it is a little on the expensive side for fuel consumption. My point was, it may have been interesting to try the new Saito gas engine in this plane. I am sure that it would take quite a few flights to make up the difference in purchase price between the 180 and the new 220 gas engine. Also, I must admit, I was a bit surprised at the loss of wing bolts in the Curtiss Hawk using the Saito 180. I lost three wing bolts and one of the landing gear bolts. Two of the cowl screws also loosened up. All of the bolts had spring lock washers but still came loose and were lost. That Saito must have quite a bit of vibration that I did not detect on the ground runs. I also have a GP Super Stearman powered by a 40 cc gas engine but it does not shake the wing bolts out. The 40 cc gas engine had a lower purchase price, is much less expensive to run and has more power than the Saito 180. As far as the power goes, I have a number of planes that have great power. Several other folks at our flying field that also have Curtiss Hawks told me that I was seriously overpowering this plane while I was assembling it. In my opinion, it is not overpowered with the Saito 180 and in fact, I would like even more power but the Saito 180 does do a good job.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee(Roger)

Old 03-21-2008, 01:24 AM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Heli Nut,
I have to agree with your thoughts on the large glow engines being expensive to run. I have just completed my P-6E with a Zenoah G-38 installed. My son has a CAP 232 with a Super Tiger 300 in it and it sure does gulp the fuel. I have had several large 4 strokes and they all sounded and ran great, but I am beginning to really like the cleanliness and ease of operation associated with the gas engines.
Thanks to all in this thread who have shared their thoughts and experiences with this plane. The thread is so long I have a hard time going back to find things so I started a seperate thread just for a G-38 installation to make it easier to find that information in case anyone else was considering that engine for the plane. I hope to maiden it this weekend.
This is one beautiful plane!
Denny
Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
k8bvj

Very interesting about using a G38 in your Hawk. I installed a G26 and I am hoping it will have enough power to fly on breezy day's. If not, looks like I'll have to go a G38, if it will fit. Like gas engines because it cheaper to fly, and I do fly just about everyday during the summer. I have a g26 in my great planes giant stick, weighs 14 pounds and flys beatiful, even in 20 mph winds. The Hawk is one beautiful plane and I am looking forward to summer and show this thing off at our club field.

Jack Bucchieri K8BVJ
Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM
k8bvj

Denny, how did your maiden flight go this weekend using the G38 in your Hawk?

Jack
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Jack,
It couldnt have gone better. We had an 8 to 10 MPH wind coming straight down the runway. The takeoff, flight and landing were simple. I found the only tough part for me was after landing, transitioning from flying the tail to the tail dropping to steer with the tail wheel was a bit sensitive. I used up elevator, but it was still a bit touchy. More flights and I am sure I will get used to it. This is my first biplane and they seem to be a bit more sensitive to the wind.
I flew it again the next day and we had a crosswind that made that part of landing even tougher. It took off and flew just like a good trainer, amazingly simple and stable. The G-38 is a great engine for this plane. It is not a rocket, but has plenty of power. I am glad I went with it. The slow low passes are absolutely beautiful. Many at the field were really taken by the plane and came over to express how much they enjoyed watching the flight. It has a real presence in the air.
Denny

Name:	Wu60373.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	912821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27425.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	912822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94817.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	912823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11240.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	912824  
Old 03-26-2008, 12:24 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: k8bvj

Very interesting about using a G38 in your Hawk. I installed a G26 and I am hoping it will have enough power to fly on breezy day's. If not, looks like I'll have to go a G38, if it will fit. Like gas engines because it cheaper to fly, and I do fly just about everyday during the summer. I have a g26 in my great planes giant stick, weighs 14 pounds and flys beatiful, even in 20 mph winds. The Hawk is one beautiful plane and I am looking forward to summer and show this thing off at our club field.

Jack Bucchieri K8BVJ
I fly with a little less powerful Brilelli 25, and in my opinion there is no lack of power. You will do great with the G-26. I actully had both powerplants available, but went w/the Brilelli because I did not have to cut the cowling as much as w/the Z26. It will be touchier than the stick when landing because of all the wing area, but it can be slowed down really, really nice.

Gerry

That's the Curtiss and my electric telemaster behind it

Name:	Om32629.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	914069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89501.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	914070  
Old 03-30-2008, 02:01 PM
k8bvj

ORIGINAL: Slviper

Bobby,
I agree with you. On the shake down run before the maiden on my Hawk the on board glow wire shorted against a fin on the Saito 180. This could have been fatal if not being run by separate battery. It burned up the glow system which was replaced by the MFG no questions asked. My tip is to run the positive wire through some fuel tube where it can contact the engine.
Steve L

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.