Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

FW190 ID needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 02:00 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: FW190 ID needed.

Boss,

Thanks for the comments. No engine I know off with reasonable displacement will fit this aircraft, the original was a Moki 180, then a Moki 210 and finally it ended up with a 3w50. The 3w50 is the shortest cylinder head I could find. Those gear don't look like Gene Barton, but do take a closer picture so we can be sure, it might be an IMP gear.

I built mine very strong! maybe too strong that it got heavy started around 24lbs then fixing and a new paint scheme ended at 26lbs. I could prolly sit on the center wing and not break it, incorporated lots of carbon tow on the wing. The gear plates are very strong, with 350 flights and several really hard landings, including a landing (if you call it that) where it broke the fuse in half and bent the struts but the gear mounts where not disturbed (trying to land on the X but did not make it to the runway ). The only time it broke was at Bomber Field last year when my brain to thumb lost all communications.

Well the plane is now with Big Mike nearly ready to fly again... hopefully he can have a lot more flights with it.

It is a very easy plane to fly! take-off will need plenty of rudder but not like a spit or an me109. In the air its like a big pattern airplane. Landings are fast at 26lbs but full flaps help slow it down.

Good luck with her and the paint scheme you have is awesome in the air!

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

Vic,

I saw the pics of yours and am insanely jealous .

I want a 3W 50 in mine. if it fits completely....how did you do it??

The three blade prop does it for me.

how do i tell if i have the same retracts as you...Jean Barton?....are there any pics or sites for those??

man , i am going to weigh mine again. how could yours be 26 and mine only 19lbs....???

I must have a broken scale.
Toddster, let me know when you guys take the 190 up fo the first time! would like to be there! I might come and bring my P40 for its maiden
Old 10-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, guys. THanks for the translation, and history lesson. I really dig how this thing looks, and I am going to do the restoration right. If it flies like Vic's did, I hope to get a few sorties out of her. Vic's is really cool, three blade, and a 3W 50i...

I think I might let the Bully go to a collector and 3Wize this bird.

Cowls must not be too hard to to get, eh?? Anyone have a source?

I think a good modeler might be able to shave a pound on this bird , maybe more.

The retracts could be cnc'ed from CF block, the shafts could be CF, the heavy ply in side could be switched to CF , at least 4 ounces alone on updated servos. I want to make her a joy to fly, not a nail biter.

How fast does this class of Warbird fly?? Cruising and diving...?? it must need at least 20 mph just for lift off, eh?

I am going to research that German pilot and look for pictures of all his planes. Maybe he had one trimmed like this , or maybe the builder used a little creative license. looks like Warbird meets are in my future.

Never thought one of these would drop in my lap. Glad it did.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:25 PM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

I'll tell you one thing Mike; don't you dare try to fly that plane at Irving. You know as well as I do, that that gear would rip right off. You're going to have to drive to Palo's.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

yeah, it needs a long rollout, i bet. I will fly it at a warbird meet , next year.

Maybe sell it there, too. I can't fly this at our field, so it really will be just for special occasions.

Unless I get the club to pave the field, I AM the President ,after all.

Some Scale Warbird pilot could probably pull it off at our field , but definitely not me. I would make a bunch of panicky go-rounds and dork it .

Give 500 ft of 100 ft wide strip with a 1/4 mile line up and I might get it near the center.

Manteno with the wind from the right. Perfect.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 AM
3dking
My Feedback: (26)

Palos Hills would be a hell of alot closer than Manteno. Although I St. Charles wouldn't be that bad either.