RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-40 Wing Washout

Old 11-05-2002, 02:31 AM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-40 Wing Washout

I posted an earlier thread on weather to get a P-40 or P47 and against the advice of many of you I bought the P-40 anyway. I really wanted a P-40 so thats what I bought.

I was looking through the instructions and it mentions something about the washout angle in the wing. I know I have read things here that if you add washout to the wings its tendency to tip stall is greatly reduced. Is this something new to the building of this kit ? If not, then how do I add the washout so the tip stall deal is lessened?

Thanks, Fourstar40
Old 11-05-2002, 05:34 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kit is designed with wash out in it and I would not recommend changing a thing. The P-40 is, quite simply, a more demanding airplane to fly than some other warbirds and I doubt there is much you can change on the TF kit to make it any easier. Rather, spend some time learning the dos and donts of flying the airplane and then stay within the airplanes' envelope. If that means getting more flying experience with a more challenging sport type airplane than that is what I would do. Sure beats tearing up your brand new P-40! Building light and straight can't hurt either. Best of luck and happy building!
Old 11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
warbirdz1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-40.....

FourStar.....Washout is a term used to describe the change of incidence of the wing from I/B(wingroot) to the wing tip....Usually from 1 deg to 3 degrees....this forces the inboard part of the wing to stall first keeping the ailerons "active" for lateral control....works great for "imminent" stalls....make sure that you build the wing with the washout jig...(usually a 1/4 x 1/4 or 1/4 x 1/2 stick angled across the back of the wing ribs)...also when going out to fly your new project....get someone to help you that has "warbird" experience....and of course have fun...Bill
Old 11-05-2002, 09:19 PM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fourstar

Actually, the top flite P-40 has a die cut wingtip jig to set the washout during the sheeting process. Just follow the directions and you will end up with a straight wing with the washout automatically built in. Good luck and keep us posted. Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33946_16670.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	21591  
Old 11-05-2002, 09:27 PM
warbirdz1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-40.....

Greg.....Thanx for the correction on T/F plans....I'm used to building Ziroli planes ......and forgot about the ribs with buillt in washout.used on T/F models....Bill....
Old 11-06-2002, 12:13 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gfinan, Thanks for the info. I have been reading things here that guys have been adding more washout than the instructions call for and was wondering. Also your P-40 is so cool that I made it my wallpaper on my desktop.

I really like the p-40 but I am not a scale purest. I plan on covering the plane with flat Olive Drab monokote and using the fixed gear. That way i will save alot of weight. Maybe someday I will try my hand at an exact scale. But for now I just want to build and fly a Warbird.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:32 AM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fourstar.

The nice thing about the Top Flite kits is that you can build them with any degree of scale options, from basic to fully decked out and I have yet to see one that did not look great. I think that you have the right idea, start simple and light then go up from there. I'm flattered that you used my pictures for your desktop, Thanks much for the compliment It makes all those late nights in the workshop well worth it. Let me know if you need any help or pictures, my e-mail is at the bottom. Good luck with your project. Greg

Bill,

Don't feel bad, the first Ziroli I built I couldn't figure out the washout and was looking on the plans for washout jigs, I guess I was too used to building kits. Sometimes my brain just shuts down late at night Greg
Old 11-07-2002, 04:33 AM
jwl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default P-40 flying characteristics

Guys,
I've been following the posts about the P-40, it's quirks and difficulties in the air.

All of us know the grief we go thru when we spend countless hours building and perfecting one of these fantastic birds, then lose it due to first flight jitters and maiden flight mistakes/accidents etc.

I have been using G2 by Real Flight for a while now and really think the planes fly very realistically. Actually in most cases they are a little MORE difficult to fly than the 1/5 and 1/6 scale models we are talking about (at least landing them).

The P-40 is on the newest Add-on (#4) for G2, and from my experience is flys very realistically.

Guys...... do yourselves a favor and go pick up a G2 from the Hobby shop and use it! For Less than a couple hundred dollars you can practice flying today the project you are building this winter. Crash the P-40, roll it, stall it......yada yada yada.....)
By the time spring rolls around you'll be flying it like it's your favorite sport plane.
Besides...the $$$ you spend on the simulator is well worth not having to spend weeks re-building your new P-40 after you've blown the landing and ripped the gear out of the wing.

I swear buy it and have not had and incident with new projects in a very long time.
I also put the co-pilot system in my new project plane each time I have a maiden flight. I call it insurance against stupid mistakes.

just my 2 cents......well ok.....5 cents!

Jeff
Old 11-07-2002, 08:00 AM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeff,

The only problem we have with flying down south here is that we have no winter building season and fly year around. Between all the flying, we don't have time to practice on the G2

Actually, I am kidding you a little bit, we do have rain now and then. Seriously though, the G2 is a great simulator, we have had students who have practiced on the G2 and solo on their second or third flight. Definitely something to look at. Greg
Old 11-07-2002, 09:09 PM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought the latest add-on for my G2 and have flown the P-40 on it. It's hard for me to believe from everything I have read about the P-40 that it flies as easy as it's doing on the sim. Yes, I agree that it doesn't fly as easy as a sport model but if it flies in real life anywhere close to the sim then I will be very pleased.

And just for the heck of it I added weight to the plane to increase the wing loading and I never did get it to do one of those violent snaps everyone talks about.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:35 PM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Four star,

Believe me, the P-40 is not as difficult to fly as some may lead you to believe. I don't think you will have any problem with it. Like I said earlier if you need pictures, etc just let me know. I just got a new bunch of pics of Gen. Robert Scott's P-40 at the Robins museum (OD over gray w/Shark mouth).

Do me a favor, Fourstar, Program your G2 so that the P-40 weighs 14 lbs, and let me know how it flys on the G2. My TF P-40 came out at 14 lbs with all the scale goody's so I was curious how it flies on the G2 @ that weight. My model surprised me because it flew great even at that weight. Thanks, Greg
Old 11-08-2002, 02:04 AM
fourstar40

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Greg, I increased the weight to 14lbs. and it flew just as good at 14lbs as it did at 10lbs. I think the only difference was the length of take-off roll.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:16 AM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fourstar,

Thanks for doing the test for me. The G2 sounds like it is right on. My TF P-40 is exactly the same, flies very nice but take offs are a little longer. I was very worried when I first weighed the plane, but I was very surprised at how well the model carried the weight. The extra weight didn't seem to make a difference. I think I am going to get one of those G2's. Thanks,Greg
Old 11-17-2002, 01:56 AM
ronfree
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

boy Guys, this is good stuff!! I'm just finishing up a TF P40 & am kinda nervous bout flyin th dam thing. Ive built a few in my day, but sill..... Ive heard this thing is a brick, & Ive heard its a *****cat. Good info THanks
Old 11-17-2002, 03:29 AM
gfinan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ronfree,

Just remember that this is not a stick type of sport plane. Keep the speed up on takeoff and especially the landing and you will have absolutely no problems. I was worried about the weight of my P-40 (14lbs) but the plane handled the weight just fine. I hope you have good luck with yours, and if you are not sure about something...Ask! Greg
Old 11-18-2002, 05:50 AM
Myked

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Guys, (New guy to the post)

Yes, the G2 sim is the best I have ever seen. My friend and I have built some planes from scratch and use the parameters in the G2 to do the modeling first. (Checking weight, motors, etc.) I can tell you this program is right on. I have ran tests where I have purposely changed CG, trim settings, etc, in the real plane and on the exact sim model to see how similar. Right on the money! This sim is simply the best. Just ordered Add On #4 with the P-40, which I am currently building (TF). Cant wait to fly!