RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

NWHT Bearcat Build Story

Old 07-21-2003, 12:04 AM
Albert Din

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nwht

Speaking of Nwhtec, I ordered a B-25 sight unseen, and never ever received it. In fact the old owner went chapter 7. The new owner claims he only bought some of the equipment and not the business. This sounds kind of fishy since he, the new owner has a list of all the people who had ordered the same B-25 as I had.
And will be offering the same B-25 to those who had ordered them under the old owner for the same old price of $399.99.

In short, I for one will not pay twice for the same product Jack Devine can forget about trying to sell me a B-25. I think that it would be to Jacks atvantage in the long run to just square with all
those 40 some odd people who had ordered a B-25, in the long run he would be making a lot of good will, instead of bad blood.
As it stands now there are about 40 people who may never recover all of there hard earned cash. This has made me very leary of anything associated with Nwhtech, since I an one of those that got stung, I will not be doing any business with Nwhtech in the near or far off future.

My two cents.
Albert
Old 07-21-2003, 08:25 AM
fw190

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NWHT Bearcat Build Story

No business should take any money from anyone unless they have the item on the shelf and ready for shipment. This I cannot believe. What did the original owner do with your money? Invested in some internet stocks?

Why would anyone purchase or sell a business knowing how bad the business is going... its sounds very scrupulous to me? You think changing ownership will protect you?

My extra 2 cents....
Old 07-21-2003, 09:27 AM
Albert Din

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Nwhtech

Hi FW190, Your so right, as it stands now it looks like Nwhtech just changed drivers just to get out of a bad situation which was created by (Carl) the original owner. Let this be a learning experience to all who read this and to those thinking about buying a Nwhtech product.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:46 AM
ngr1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for everyone’s kind words regarding my Bearcat.

I have now flown the Bearcat 5 times and the plane performed well. The first two landings were without flaps so it came in very hot, the last 3 landings were with flaps which resulted in a slower and more manageable landing speed.

The plane flew just as Jack described it would, I think I am little nose heavy so I am adding a little weight in the tail each weekend until I find the right combination.

During the last two flights my confidence level was higher so I retracted the gear and began some low level high speed passes.

Now that the test flying is done I can complete the remaining tasks like the canopy, gear doors and final painting. I will post more pictures when the plane is 100% complete.

Jimbo, I would be happy to send you any of the photos I have. Let me know what you are looking for and I will email them.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Jack Devine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NWHT

NGR: That's great news that she flies as well as she looks. If you feel it's a bit nose heavy I'd recommend removing weight from the cowl before I would add weight to the tail. The Bearcat is a very clean airframe and if you want it to slow down effectively for landing you need to dump those huge flaps and the brakes come on immediately. They make a super difference on landing speed and will add a lot of low speed stability to your Bearcat. They look so cool doing a low high speed pass when they are all cleaned up with the landing gear put away. Adding doors to the gear will clean it up even further and that will increase the performance too. Keep the pictures comming and congratulations on building a very nice airplane.

Jack Devine
Old 07-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Jack Devine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NWHT

Radioman: In purchasing the remnants of NWHT I bought the equipment that Carl used to build model airplanes. Carl's business dealings with what went on before I bought the equipment have nothing to do with me and I didn't take anyone's money. My business will not operate the way Carl Hickey's business did and there will not be any paying for things before they are ready to be shipped. There were many things wrong with the way NWHT was run but you need to get some facts straight before you start saying the things you are saying here. There were never 40 B-25 kits ordered through NWHT. 18 kits were ordered and none of them were ever completed. Until a test B-25 can be assembled that plane will not be sold to anyone. I have built and flown all the rest of the planes that will be available and I'm convinced they are all good flying airplanes. Not so with the B-25 as it has not been flown. I believe it will fly very well too but until I know that for sure it won't be released. The B-25 once it becomes available will by far be the most expensive kit that I sell. This kit contains 100 sheets of 1/16th X 3" balsa alone so the production costs of the kit are over twice what any of the other kits cost to build. I was one of the 18 people waiting for a B-25. I sufferd the same loss you did.
My new Company is a complete change over. I had nothing to do with Carls company and he will have nothing to do with mine. They are not the same old thing just different drivers as you said.
I respect the losses that many people that ordered kits from Carl have suffered. That was bad business but the responsibility of that business rests soley with Carl.
I know there is a lot of bad feelings out there and I hope I can find a way to reestablish a good relationship with many of the people that got burned by Carls business dealings.
For people that have ordered before there will be no required deposits and for new orders from new people ther will be a fully refundable $100.00 deposit. My goal for delivery of my kits is to have them to my customers within two weeks of the date they placed the order. This will require building an inventory and I have already purchased the supplies that would make that possible. It will take several months to get everything done but in the interim I will get things done as quickly as possible. Jack Devine Models will rise from the ashes and become a respectable company for modelers to deal with. Good service and on time delivery will make all the difference.

Jack Devine
Old 07-21-2003, 04:43 PM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ngr1, Did you get any in flight pics of vids?

Love to see more pics of that bird!!!

Jack, I know at least one B25 was delivered, a guy at my club has one. But its not built.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:29 AM
psk560

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I ordered and recieved a nwht kit and it is great. Great price, great kit. Bad business should not be blamed on Jack. Jack was helpful to me even when Carl was not! Good luck Jack. I will be ordering another foamy soon.

http://www.jackdevinemodels.com/

craig
Old 07-24-2003, 01:13 AM
RC Flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I purchased a NWHT 85" Corsair and was told of a short wait until the production run was made. I received my kit, complete and have finished and flown it 5 times. I received help via phone with Carl, by email with the webmaster and Jack Devine through rewarbird and by personal email.
I feel confident Jack will represent his company well and can get past the previous difficulties. I would not be happy if I lost money either, but give the new owner a chance.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:49 PM
ngr1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Warbird flying

I was able to fly my Bearcat with friends this weekend. The picture below contains a nicely detailed Pica P-40, Yellow P-47 and my JD Bearcat.

The model is a great flyer but it would be even nicer at 1/4 scale.

Jack, any plans to increase the size of existing models?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102412_2400.gif
Views:	12
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	21958  
Old 08-17-2003, 08:54 PM
ngr1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bearcat at the field

Bearcat at the field
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102415_2400.gif
Views:	14
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	21959  
Old 08-17-2003, 09:00 PM
ngr1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bearcat at the field #2

Bearcat at the field again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	102416_2400.gif
Views:	8
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	21960  
Old 08-18-2003, 01:54 AM
JohnVH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default NWHT Bearcat

Very nice! Any chance you can post video of it flying?

Great job!
Old 08-19-2003, 04:43 AM
Jack Devine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JDM Bearcat

Norm: Great pictures and it's great to hear that now you can really have some fun after all the hard work you put into your Bearcat. It looks right at home on the field there. I have not really had anyone ask about making bigger models but have had many inquiries about going down in size. I saw a really big Bearcat with a 130" wing fly at Bomber Field last year. Jeff Q. the guy who built the big 13 foot span Corsair was flying it but I believe it belonges to a friend of his. It had a big A/H 8.4 Twin in it and it was a very impressive airplane. You would need a big trailer or truck to transport a plane like that.

I might consider enlarging the F8F at some time in the future but for now I just have to try and get what I already have back on it's feet. Thanks for sharing the great pictures Norm.

Jack Devine
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Nwht

Had to resurrect this thread cause I got som questions. I acquired the kit and plan on powering it with th eMagnum 400 5cyl. radial. I wouldlike to know how much weight did you add to the nose for balancing, any recommendations on the build, any secrets, hints or ideas and how does it fly?

Search this Thread