Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF P-47 - balance problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF P-47 - balance problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 03:20 AM
Goldwing-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-47 - balance problem

I need help. I bought a Used Top Flight P-47 60 sized kit with an OS MAX .61 FX. After mounting the engine & going through it from nose to tail I noticed the plane is out of balance. The side where the muffler comes out is heavier by alot! (about the weight of a 9 volt battery at the end of the wing) I dont know what to to. Add lots of weight to the wing? Not worry about it? Is this normal? most of my trainers are pretty close to balanced. Everyone has a front to back balance point but not a left to right. Please help. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:10 AM
mselby
My Feedback: (1)

It is common to balance across the wings. Add some weight to the wingtip, or if easily accessible or with minimum refinishing, hollow out the wing tip on the heavier side.
Mike
Old 01-15-2002, 08:50 PM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

I don't know how you are balancing the airplane to determine that one wing is heavier, but this is how I do it. I thread a piece of string under the topmost hinge of the rudder and tie the two ends to form a loop. I make another loop and attach it to the prop shaft, behind the prop nut. I then hang the model from hooks mounted in the ceiling of my shop, so that the model hangs level fore and aft. If the model is laterally balanced, the wings will be level. You can eyeball this or use a line level on top of the fuselage. Add weight to the lighter wing tip. One easy way is to use as big a nail as will insert into the tip. Once enough nails are added to balance the wing, countersink them and add a small amount of filler, then paint to match. The plans do not show a lateral balance point, simply because the model should hang level laterally anywhere along it's length. I hope this helps.