Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

*Simulated* Exploding Bomb

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

*Simulated* Exploding Bomb

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default *Simulated* Exploding Bomb

I'd like to share some ideas I recently got from another thread, thanks for the ideas! I'm working on a simulated exploding bomb design that will produce as much smoke as possible. BBQ ash is the best substance that I know of, but if you have something else that works better let me know. Any other ideas or problems you see with my design please chime in. Will it work?

Dion

Update: Design has problems that I will explain later. Making a much simpler split in half bomb using the same pin method, will explain later and post picture. Have to get busy on Pete's Corsair tanks and bombs!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44017.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	373689  
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Kelsey_B

Default RE: *Simulated* Exploding Bomb

Looks pretty good to me. I think the bomb would have to strike fairly perpendicular to the ground.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there Dion. That looks good. I think your idea to use ashes is superb, they won't tend to "pack" into a solid mass as badly as flour will. My only suggestions would be to perhaps not taper the back end to ease exit of all the contents. (maybe this wont be an issue with ashes?) Also, the more weight you've got, the harder it will hit, so maybe you could cast that nose section that the nail or plunger shaft passes thru out of lead? That maybe a bit "too much" though. Otherwise, looks good!

Salute!! ZZ.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

If I understand, it looks like the whole aft tapered section is "capped off" with 1/8" balsa and is dis-lodged on impact, so there is no tapered section inhibiting the "Ash-Flow"

Very cool concept. BTW--Dion helped me a BUNCH in the creation of a very reasonably scale repro of a "Brewster Bomb Rack" on my Iron Bay Corsair a while back (Thanks again dion!), and I've been anxious to try dropping something from it that acts a bit more "scale-like" on impact. The "other thread" became amusing, if not a little scary----
Old 12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
dionysusbacchus

Wow, thanks guys, ZZ that is a good idea to cast the nose out of resin, YEA! You got me thinking now! I figured having a brass pin in the nose would help with the weight and also make it easy to solder. When you drop the bomb from a high enough altitude it will fall straight in.

f4you, you're right about the bomb, it's smooth on the inside of the "blast chamber"! And your welcome, I'll make these bombs in both 1/8 and 1/6 scale if it all works like I want it to, so you'll have something to drop!

I'll post the results! Keep the ideas coming,

Dion

ORIGINAL: ZoomZoom-RCU

Hey there Dion. That looks good. I think your idea to use ashes is superb, they won't tend to "pack" into a solid mass as badly as flour will. My only suggestions would be to perhaps not taper the back end to ease exit of all the contents. (maybe this wont be an issue with ashes?) Also, the more weight you've got, the harder it will hit, so maybe you could cast that nose section that the nail or plunger shaft passes thru out of lead? That maybe a bit "too much" though. Otherwise, looks good!

Salute!! ZZ.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

I wonder if a vent of some kind to the front side of the piston might be helpful or necessary so as to avoid any vacuum effect on that side during "detonation"?? Just thinking out loud here, it may not be an issue, but might be worthwhile if the ejection seems anemic.....and nothing is worse than an anemic ejection, I'm told......(probably went too far on that one, sorry).
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
dionysusbacchus

lol I thought the same thing, thought the gap on the sides would help, but you are probably right. If it can draw air in faster it might help dispel the ashes more efficiently. I'll try and get a prototype done for the weekend to see what happens. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Dion

ORIGINAL: f4you

I wonder if a vent of some kind to the front side of the piston might be helpful or necessary so as to avoid any vacuum effect on that side during "detonation"?? Just thinking out loud here, it may not be an issue, but might be worthwhile if the ejection seems anemic.....and nothing is worse than an anemic ejection, I'm told......(probably went too far on that one, sorry).
Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 PM
goatboy

the image for the bomb is x'd out. is that on purpose or is it the political correctness monster lurking about?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:33 PM
dionysusbacchus

It's on purpose! I've got a really great design that I'm almost ready to post. I've been busy with other projects but I'll be back on this one in a bit. Stay tuned for the updated plans!

Dion

ORIGINAL: goatboy

the image for the bomb is x'd out. is that on purpose or is it the political correctness monster lurking about?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

oh geez Luke, my ATF guys came here and X'd out your pic already!

look forward to seeing what you come up with that works well [8D]
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Paul S.

Dion, while we're waiting for the politically correct bomb pics, what other items of detail have you thought up? I will be getting a T/F Corsair to build shortly and different threads mention you; (kindly of course.)

Paul
Old 01-08-2006, 10:50 PM
dionysusbacchus

ORIGINAL: planechucker

Dion, while we're waiting for the politically correct bomb pics, what other items of detail have you thought up? I will be getting a T/F Corsair to build shortly and different threads mention you; (kindly of course.)

Paul
Of course! I have these items in 1/8 scale: 170 gallon drop tank, 1,000lb bomb with rack, cat hooks, right wing spoiler and a Super Scale cockpit kit. Some of the things I have made you can see in my gallery.

Let me know when you start that Corsair, I will certainly be able to help you with some unique details.

Dion

Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey dion
i will take a couple of bombs when you have them ready for my stuka with the 5 bomd drops. it would be a real nice show to see all 5 of the bombs go up in ash.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:06 PM
maddog-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dion,

Have you come up with a final design yet for the exploding bomb? I'm working on one myself for my Ziroli Stuka using a reverse plunger type of method and a piece of pvc pipe for the main body.

maddog
Old 05-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Timmahh
Banned

what if you set up a striker and used a Blasting cap or a shotgun primer????? this would not only expell the contents but add a BOOM for realism???? now im thinking outloud>>>then the whole item could be made of aluminum, with an unscrewable brass head (for weithing and durability) and a striker to set off the cap primer.. it shouldnt take MUCH force to discharge a primer or cap.
Timmahh
Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Messerschmitt
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dion, sounds good, whish I could see the drawing! LOL I tried to PM you, yeah....... could you email me, I've got something I need to ask you about.

Thanks,
Mike

[link=http://www.mtplans.com/contact.htm]contact me[/link]
Old 05-20-2006, 10:07 PM
dionysusbacchus

I've been busy with other projects so this one is on hold for now, but this is the new drawing. It does not show all detail, but it will give you an idea. The whole bomb comes apart on impact, much more effective.

Dion

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47656.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	464282  
Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 PM
RickeyB

I wonder if dimascus earth (swimming pool filter material) would work?