Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM
nicoladestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultra RC 92

ORIGINAL: Mac Hodges

Nicola,

Maybe I can answer some of your questions. I have the old Ultra RC Zero and have been flying it for maybe 6 years or so. Appears to be the exact same model as the CY plane that you sent a link to. I don't know who makes the Troy Built model but I have seen it fly and it flies well. What I don't like about it is they lengthened the nose to aid in balancing the model and destroyed the scale look of the short nose that the Zero has. My Zero flies great. It weighs about 30 lbs. and is powered by a ZDZ 80. I have about 3 lbs. of weight mounted beside the engine and tried to mount everything as far forward as possible. To me the 80cc engine is just right for the plane. It would fly fine with a 65cc engine but I don't think the radial you mentioned would fit in the cowl. I roughly measured my cowl from the outside and it appears to be about 9.25 inches, maybe just a little over that but probably not enough for the engine you gave measurements for. I have a fixed tailwheel so as not to add any additional weight that would have to be compensated for up front adding to the overall weight. The tailwheel barely sticks out, works fine on the ground, and is barely noticeable in the air. There does appear to be an incidence problem as someone mentioned as I do have a noticeable amount of down trim but it still flies great. The wheels are 5'' and are the largest that can be used. And the retract mounting area is a very weak point on the model. The ribs and the entire retract mounting area must be beefed up substantially or the gear will probably rip out on the first landing and severely damage the wing. I beefed mine up in the beginning and have had no issues. But I also make good landings. :-) Any warbird with retracts won't tolerate rough landings but the Zero wouldn't even tolerate many good landings as it comes out of the box. Unless they have changed things, the ribs that the gear blocks mount to are just balsa with no plywood reinforcement which it needs. The Ultra Zero has a fiberglass fuse and a sheeted wing and stab covered with fabric and painted. Again, looking at the CY model...it is the same model.

Hope this helps, Mac Hodges
Hi. The ULTRA seems to have a more correct scale look than the TBM ,i agree. The diehdral angle seems to be ok , too.
Do you know where i can find some photos to compare , or do you have some photos to post?
Bye
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Not sure about the other guys....Currently, my engine is on a test stand but here are a few pix before I mounted it there....proof that it will fit. No mods to the cowl were done but I do plan to heavily scale this model out so there will be some to the cowl. Functioning Cowl flaps, intake scoop up top, rivets etc..I'm thinking about a dummy up front to complete the scale look with the radial sitting directly behind but we'll see.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Not sure about the other guys....Currently, my engine is on a test stand but here are a few pix before I mounted it there....proof that it will fit. No mods to the cowl were done but I do plan to heavily scale this model out so there will be some to the cowl. Functioning Cowl flaps, intake scoop up top, rivets etc..I'm thinking about a dummy up front to complete the scale look with the radial sitting directly behind but we'll see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57573.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1726754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89291.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1726755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36530.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1726756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi16050.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1726757   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10889.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1726758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xn87933.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1726759  
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
nicoladestro

That's incredible. The cmp's cowl is more in scale than other. Now i understand.
After all , the cowl of the zero has a rounded shape.
Thank you
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Cool...Happy to help.

Earlier Zeros did have a slightly different cowl Viewed from the side. The cowl was fairly straight from front to back. These earlier zeros had a collector ring exhaust which exited at the bottom only. Later versions of the Zero had a gentle curve to the cowl (front to back) like the CMP and had separate exhaust stacks for the cylinders exiting all along the rear of the cowl. Believe it or not, this increased the top speed by 4 MPH or so!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM
nicoladestro

Yes i know. The mustang and the spit used this solition to increase thrust too
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Cool...we could only hope for as much from our models!