Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:07 AM
F86_SABRE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra RC 92" Scale-Masters Zero

I wish to ask our European friends if they are aware that this kit is available or not in Europe.
Unfortunately, the U.S. agents never replied to my email, so I have to ask here.

Reuben
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell this big bird is BEGGING for heavy weathering... DP
Old 04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks for the info Scalebirdman,mine is scheduled to be here on the 11th.I am a long time giant scale aerobatic pilot.This is my first venture into big warbirds so I wiill learn as I go along.I will order the gear from Robart direct then.Let us know what you think of her out of the box.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rueben,
same here - no reply from the suppliers not to any posts here as well. Makes me want to keep my $$ in my pocket.

cheers
Peter
Old 04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
ULTRA-RC

Thank you all for your interest in Ultra RC and our Zero. I am very sorry for the late reply. I am actually attending a trade show this week, thus the delay in my response.

In regards to some of your questions, Ultra RC is the only Distributor of this product at this time. We are looking for additional international distributors. In the meantime, we can ship this product internationally, however the only economical source is via sea-freight. If anyone is interested, please contact me via email at: [email protected]

At this time, we have already sold-out of the first production of Zero's. Not to worry, we have another shipment on the water as we speak and they will be arriving in approximately another 30 days. In addition, we expect to receive our 98" P-51, and a handful of our new 100" Corsair. Our large shipment of Corsairs we expect to arrive in Mid-May.

In the meantime, I will monitor this thread and respond to all your questions as soon as I return from the show on Monday. If I have enough time, and my connection survives, I will respond sooner.

Thank you all for your interest and support and please don't hesitate to contact me with any additional comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Ultra-RC
Brian Hughes
www.ultrarc.com
[email protected]
609-714-0040
Old 04-04-2006, 10:36 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

Where can I get information about your 100in. F4U? I waited patiently for the GSP Corsair that didn't ever happen.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
ULTRA-RC

WLJ,

I have personally flown the Corsair production sample. It needed very little changes and was put into production. We can only produce a limited number of these airplanes. As I am sure you can appreciate, we can not produce these planes the same as your typical ARF whether it be a sport airplane or a 3D airplane, etc., etc. For the reason, the production quantities will be limited. Our first production is complete. We expect them to arrive in early May. In the not so distant future, we will have detailed information regarding this plane listed on our website. We are very close to finalizing the instruction manual, items required, website photos, and pricing. This information will be posted soon.

In the meantime, anyone that may be interested in this airplane should send me an email with your email address so I can add you to our mailing list for this specific plane. Once added to the list, you will be updated as soon as the item is listed on our website, in addition to receiving shipping updates.

Thank you again for your interest. Please contact me with any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Ultra-RC
Brian Hughes
www.ultrarc.com
[email protected]
609-714-0040
Old 04-05-2006, 08:20 PM
scalebirdman
My Feedback: (6)

The Easter bunny has landed! Ok, so it was the UPS dude.
1 LARGE box! (Picture 1)And inside... Another LARGE box.(Picture 2) At first I was a bit concerned, as the outer box had a some impact damage. Nothing major, but I didn't know how well everything was packed.

Well, that's about all for tonight. I'll continue tomorrow.
[sm=lol.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59034.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	439628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57364.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	439629  
Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 PM
scalebirdman

Aw, come on, you didn't think I'd really do that to you do you?

Ok first impressions: The first thing you notice is the packaging. This is hands down the best packaging job I've ever come across. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is wrapped in thin foam sheeting, then packaged in a polyethelene bag, and then wrapped in bubble wrap. Anyone need any bubble wrap? Is it really packaged that good you ask? Well, after pulling the wings out of the box, my wife had mentioned to my 4 year old, that he could use the box as "his airplane", where upon he proceeded to climb in the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fortunatly for my wife and son, the fuse and the remaining parts survived the 40lb crush test unscathed.

Name:	Zw69608.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	439648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31351.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	439649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75518.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	439650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47021.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	439651  
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
scalebirdman

I've unwrapped the Fuse, cowl and one wing. The fuse and cowl are very nicely done with panel lines and rivet detail. All structure is in place in the fuse. The firewall is 1/2 ply. tank box sides are doubled 1/8 ply back to the first former behind the firewall, and then 1/8 that continues as the wing saddle back to the rear of the wing saddle. There is a styrofoam doughnut former about half way back from the rear of the wing saddle to the tail wheel, and another ply former back there. The former at the tail wheel is left for the builder to install, as you mount the tail wheel to it, and then install. The fuse is very solid and well done. In some places there is signs of the seam between the two fuse halves, but it's not very noticable. There is some overspray on the green where it meets the light grey, but aside from that the paint is flawless. The wing is equaly done; as unboxed there is no wrinkles in the covering. The yellow leading edge, and red honomaru(sp?) marking on the wing are done in solartex. The website mentions the solartex being painted. If so it was before it was applied, as it obviously wasn't panted afterwards. It appears to be a dead match for the paint on the fuse, so perhaps that is how it was done. The wing is fully sheeted aside from the ailerons, and strangly the wing tips are not solid, but are longitudinal ribs around a central balsa plate. Not really noticable unless you are up close. Guess it's faster (and less expensive) to glue a couple of ribs together than carve and sand a large block of balsa. I won't start putting anything together tonight, just reviewing the instructions. BTW the instruction manual falls short of the quality of the airframe. It is well illustrated with photos, not drawings, however there are some steps that arn't exactly clear to me yet, and the deminsions called out are drawn on tape in the photo, and some of them are hard to read. Perhaps I'm judging too early here; we'll see as assembly progresses. One thing I noted, is that in the instructions, a minimum of 90oz/in servos are called for, and I think the web site calls for 70oz/in or so. Since I had aleady aquired JR125's, this isn't a problem for me.

Name:	Fc90084.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	439691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60322.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	439692  
Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

so is it flying yet? [sm=lol.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would've been great if they had left the tail markings off so you could individualize her to some degree.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
edgeman55

Wow thanks for the pics and your thoughts.Really can't wait for mine to get here Tuesday.Have you looked to see how that cockpit kit is going to fit there opening.How is the cockpit that came with the plane.I really want to upgrade that but before I spend the $ was wanting to know how yours fit.Also the website say's it needs a 3" spinner.Was going to order a p-51 style Tru-Turn.What are you going to use.Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:04 PM
scalebirdman

Edgman: I haven't unwrapped the cockpit, but based on the pix on their website it appears just to be vacu-formed and you just fold up the sides and rear, and insert it into the plane. I wanted something a little nicer, so I ordered a Dynamic Balsa cockpit kit. However the instrument panel is a beauty. it's got gauge faces with clear lenses... Really nice. I havn't compared it to Zero cockpit pix to see how accurate it is, but it is very high quality.

I'm going to order a 3.5" Zero spinner from Gene Barton today ($55)
Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful model! I am still thinking of this with a Magnum 400 radial engine. Just not sure if it will fit inside the cowl.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:46 PM
scalebirdman

I can't find any info on the Magnum 400. Do you have a link?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:54 AM
scalebirdman

Finally getting started with the assembly. I'm skipping around a bit from the instructions, but not too much. I'm starting at the extremities and working in. Stab first. I'm using Robart large hinge points (3/16"). You will need a total of 27: 4 for each elevator, flap and aileron, and 3 for the rudder. The instructions say to equally space 4 hinges into each elevator, however the dimensioned picture shows a slightly irregular spacing of 11.5;12.5; and 11 cm's between the hinges. I just started at 1 3/4" in from the root, and spaced the hinges 4 1/2" apart. This put them within 1/4" of the illustrated locations. I used a robart drill guide to drill the holes, and then came back with a larger 17/64" bit to counter sink the hole slightly to allow the head of the hinge to sit down the hole so there is no gap between the leading edge of the elevator and the trailing edge of the stab. BE SURE TO ALIGN THE TIP OF THE ELEVATOR TO THE TIP OF THE STAB. This allows a gap between the inner face of the elevator and the fuse. Otherwise you will get binding against the fuse. ( see first picture. I flipped the stab over for better contract in the picture)

A couple of other notes: As packed the elevators are taped to the stab with masking tape. I had a couple of spots of green paint pull up when removing the tape. You also have to contend with removing the tape residue. I used alcohol, which with a little rubbing got the residue off, but rubbed a hint of the green paint off onto the paper towl too. That would concern me if I was going to run a large glow motor in this bird....

I previously posted that I thought the solartex was painted, and then applied. That is incorrect, the green paint was sprayed after the surfaces were covered. Very nice masking job too.

Name:	Zx72208.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	441074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71856.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	441075  
Old 04-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

I can't find any info on the Magnum 400. Do you have a link?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...?engine_id=524

http://www.keleo-creations.com/Radial/mag400.htm

http://www.justengines.unseen.org/ASPrad.htm

http://shop.lindinger.at/ProductDeta...PP%3D%26SP%3D0

Old 04-08-2006, 11:54 PM
ScaleME
My Feedback: (3)

How much was the shipping cost??
Old 04-09-2006, 06:44 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Is there any chipping of the paint? If you looked at the paint on my GSP Zero it would fall off. That and other reasons will keep me from purchasing another.

Carl
Old 04-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Richard L.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scalebirdman

I'm going to order a 3.5" Zero spinner from Gene Barton today ($55)
Hi, 3.5" spinner would look way too small. Based on the attached picture, you want the diameter of the spinner to be around 64% of the front cowl opening. Even a Tru-Turn 4" spinner looks lightly too small on my 80" WM Zero.

Name:	Fd93038.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	441780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47247.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	441781  
Old 04-09-2006, 10:31 PM
scalebirdman

ScaleME: Shipping was $75 to Idaho, perhaps it would be slightly less to CO.

Carl, I stared at the fuse for a good 30 minutes, and none of the paint jumped off. Seriously, I obviously haven't had enough time with the plane to know how durable the finish is, but is appears to be a very good paint job.

As for spinner size, attached is a picture of a 4" spinner positioned in the cowl. You couldn't put anything bigger in there if you wanted to. Perhaps the 3.5" spinner will be a bit on the small side, but it will be the correct shape, so I'll just hold judgement on that until I have it all together. In case anyone is wondering the prop is a solo prop unit with 28" blades. (it will get a new paint job for the Zero.

I got the elevators glued on the stabs last night with 30 min epoxy. I plan to install the servos in the elevators and linkage tonight.

I learned the hard way that you cannot install the rear former that the tail retract unit mounts too, and then get the tail wheel unit in thru the opening at the rear of the fuse! The instructions so say to mount the retract to the former, then install the unit. Fortunatly I had only tack glued the former in, and was able to pop it off. I think the only way you can get it in when it's all together , is thru the wing opening, and feed it back. I'll update in a day or so.

Name:	Bz78571.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	442391  
Old 04-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Kmot

scalebirdman: What is the diameter of the dummy radial plate there? Does it fit all the way forward in the cowl?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
scalebirdman

The dummy radial is 8" in diameter. It can fit all the way forward, but would require trimming where the carb air intake is at the top of the cowl. Untrimmed it would be set back about 1/2".

Made a little progress, not as much as I expected of course. I worked on the elevator servo hatches, and tail wheel install. The directions are very vague and don't make a whole lot of sense when it comes to mounting the elevator servo . The prudent way to do it in my mind is mount two blocks to the hatch itself, and then mount the servo to the hatch, then screw the hatch down. That's how I've always done it, and how I'm doing it here. The picture in the instrucitons shows 4 blocks glued down into the well in the elevator, and seem to want you to slide the servo mounting tabs into the gap between the 2 blocks at the front and rear of the well, traping the servo. There are several problems with this. 1st is there is now way to screw the servo to the blocks like that, and 2nd there is no provision shown for spacing the servo up in the well to lie flat against the hatch when it is secured. I vote for my way, and I'm the only one voting.

I mounted the tail wheel to the former and mounting block assembly, and then stuffed it back to the rear of the fuse from the wing saddle opening using my long arms and gravity. I haven't secured it yet, but it looks good to go to me. I'll have to shorten the tail wheel tiller arms, as they are too wide for the fuse back there. I adjusted the length of the actuator arm on the tail wheel so that when retracted it left the tail wheel about half hanging out of the wheel well, as the prototype. Before I mount the tail wheel assembly I need to hang the rudder, and attach the rudder tiller to the rudder arm because it sets above the tail wheel, and would be a mess trying to do after the tail wheel is in place. The one piece of hardware missing from the package that I feel should have been included is the rudder tiller arm. You are provided the L shaped wire rudder actuator that you stick into the leading edge of the rudder, and feed through a hole drilled at the base of the fin, but no arm (as illustrated in the instructions) to mount to it. I salvaged a tiller arm off of a tail wheel of one of my deceased aircraft that fits the diameter of the rudder wire actuator (~1/8").

Name:	Zx71236.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	443278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19477.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	443279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60385.jpg
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	443280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97327.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	443281  
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
edgeman55

Mine is scheduled to be at my house today.Thanks for the pics and your thoughts as you build her Scalebirdman.When you say tiller arm are they wanting you to use a pushrod to the rudder.I was thinking pull/pull cables to the rudder and tail wheel would be the way to go.I think your servo mounts on the elevator are the way to go,much easier to acess for service if needed.I have almost everything I need except waiting on the 154's from Robart.They always take 2 or 3 weeks to get stuff to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.