Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

H-9 P-51 aftermarket retracts question

Does Robart or any other retract company make literally a "plug and play" aftermarket retract that is strong and looks good? I'm looking for a no mess, perfect size aftermarket retract for the H-9 60 sized P-51. I have read all the stories about wobbles and crappy retract from the factory. Please help me. This is my first attempt at retracts and I should be getting the plane in at the end of this week. Thanks.
    -Brian
    Revver Bro #134

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: H-9 P-51 aftermarket retracts question

Brian,
    You do not say what size your h-9 is , but it may not matter anyway. I will also be puttting robarts in my h-9 this week and know by experience that not only am I upgrading the retracts, i will be modifing the wing strenght. There are also many good references to this topic here on RCU also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: setxws6

Does Robart or any other retract company make literally a "plug and play" aftermarket retract that is strong and looks good? I'm looking for a no mess, perfect size aftermarket retract for the H-9 P-51.
    The only retracts that are almost "plug and play" are the mechanical ones from [link]http://www.franktiano.com/scaleproducts/retractmain.htm[/link]

Pneumatic retracts are more stout, but all of them would require some trimming to the retract mounts. However, trimming the retract mounts is painless and brainless with the help of a Dremel.

Watch the H9 Mustang landing videos on my site to see those functional Robart oleo struts in action.
    http://www.WarbirdObsession.com/
    Tamiya Panther, Tamiya King Tiger(3), Tamiya Tiger I, HL Tiger(3), HL Panzer III(2), HL Panther, HL Pershing, HL Bulldog, WSN T-34/85, HE Leopard 2A5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's a 60 sized mustang, sorry. The Franktiano.com retracts is what I'm looking for, but they are for the H-9 1.50 Mustang. I would like to stay with mechanical retracts. Does anyone make a strut itself that would slip into the retracts H-9 provides? Or again, a full mechanical retract that would bolt in and may have to do a little modifying to the wheel wells?
    -Brian

PS: Richard, great P-51's on your site, beautiful! Does Robart make a retract just like yours but mechanical???
    Revver Bro #134

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franktiano retracts will fit into the 60 sized Mustang. Robart 3/8" RoboStruts would slip into the stock H9 retracts, but you still need to cut the struts to proper length, tap and drill each strut for a pair of set screws. If you are going into warbirds, then you need to get your hands dirty eventually.
    Tamiya Panther, Tamiya King Tiger(3), Tamiya Tiger I, HL Tiger(3), HL Panzer III(2), HL Panther, HL Pershing, HL Bulldog, WSN T-34/85, HE Leopard 2A5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Franktiano retracts for the 1.50 P-51 wouldn't make the 60 P-51 sit a little higher? Are they longer or about the same, well I guess you could always trim alittle off the length of the strut.
    -Brian
    Revver Bro #134

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

People have been using these retracts in the 60 P-51 with great success. Yes, you can cut the struts down a little.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the Robart mechanical struts and they work just fine. The part number is 609 HD, the wire is 3/16 instead of the 5/32 wire that was stock. The price is less than half the Frank Tiano ones and bolt right in, $41.55 per pair. I got my axles from www.bvmjets.com. You will need to trim the struts to length and grind a flat spot for the axles to lock into but you don't have to trim the opening in the wing.

Harry
    Harry J
    Waco Brotherhood Lucky #13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HarryJ, so the Robart 609 HD units will just drop in with the only modification being trimming the strut and adding the axles? They do not wobble or look flimsy while taxiing and are strong on landing?
    Revver Bro #134

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

setxws6,
    Thats right, no trimming of the opening in the wing, just cut to length and install axles. No wobble or shakes on takeoff or landing. I've had some really rough landings and haven't bent them yet.

Harry
    Harry J
    Waco Brotherhood Lucky #13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harry,

Tried to find the axles on the BVM.JETS web site you mentioned, but no luck. Need the ones to clamp onto my Robart 609HD's I'm mounting on my H9 60 P-51.

Do you have a part number I can search on, or any other info?

Thanks,

Bo
    RC Airplane Glide Distance: Approximately half the distance to the end of the runway.