Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Need Fedback on Nose Art.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Need Fedback on Nose Art.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 04:06 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Fedback on Nose Art.

Do you think this is unacceptable for nose art on a model. I am planning a P-39 & I would like to do the "Airacutie", but am afraid it might be a little too extreme for some. It is historicly correct. It's a P-39F from the 36th FS, 8TH FG in 1943.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	36838_1032.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	23223  
Old 11-21-2002, 04:07 PM
TLH101

Here's the opposite side.

Name:	36839_1032.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	23224  
Old 11-21-2002, 04:10 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice

I think it will be good. looks nice. i say go for it. not to many kids come out to our field and look up close, but even so its nice to do scale after a real plane.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:44 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Yes, if it is a rendition of a scale plane. Some may find it offensive, but they need to consider the era that the art was applied in, and what it represents. Not just view it as a naked chick on the side of a toy. These were mostly 18-23 year old guys, away from hme and girlfriends, fighting for our country. I really get on my soap box with this issue, so I apologize up front. I got chastized once for having a picture of a woman bare chested on one of my planes, and I mean he got poopy with me. I told the guy "I would much rather offend you, than give not give homage and honor to the guy that risked his life and fought in this plane". I don't think many people understand out purpose in created these warbirds. I would guess the majority of us do it as a small token of honor to the guys that fought and died. Plus, they are cool. OK...off my box.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:05 PM
heavy date-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with all. If it is an acurate marking on the full size plane, it should be duplicated on the model.
I have a reproduction jacket of Heavy Date. A B-17 that was lost on Apr. 10 1945 near Berlin It almost the same as the avitar I use. When someone gives me guff about it, I simply tell them about the men who were in that plane and what they did. This will normally shut them up.
People seem to forget what many young men had to go through so that they can enjoy what they have now.
I'll also bet that nose art makes a come back on the planes flying in the gulf.

The whole preppy bunch can take their PC crap elswhere.
Off the soap box now Go ahead and put it on. I think it looks great!
Hans
Old 11-21-2002, 06:42 PM
warbirdz1

Default Nose Art.....

Terry....History is and should be kept to all the facts...whether they sometimes offend someone or not......what happened if history did not tell the truth about Adolf Hitler?...so please put on your "Nose Art"...its historically correct.....Remember "VARGAS" an "artist" for "Playboy Magazine " for many years ....guess what he did during the WAR?.......Thats right .....he did plenty of "Nose Art" for all kinds of planes........Bill....
Old 11-21-2002, 07:11 PM
bobripley-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nose Art

If that is the marking that was on the real one duplicate on your model. Don't worry about what the PC folks might say.

Rip
Old 11-21-2002, 08:09 PM
Skypoint
My Feedback: (7)

My uncle was the 1st pilot of a B-17 during WW2. He and 8 of his crew died in a fierce battle over LeMans, France on July 4th, 1943. The tail section of the plane broke away during the decent, and the tail gunner was the only one that managed to bail out. The French underground hid him for eight months until they snuck him into Spain.

Quite a story and an important piece of history.

I'm in the planning stages of their aircraft, The "Lakanuki" . You can bet I'm going to replicate the ac as best as I can, including the name.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:12 PM
slim56
My Feedback: (4)

Go for it. I'm going to do the same.

slim
Old 11-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Default Nose Art

Similar situation as with Jeff. A few years back a modeling pal wasn't allowed to remove his true scratch-built 135" B-25 from his van once arriving at an out-of-county event because of the bare-breasted female painted on the nose. After the club officials held their private discussions, one returned and say we could set the model up on the tarmac but would have too cover up the nose with our cleaning towel. We politely told him to pound sand and drove away.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default Need Feedback on Nose Art

Hi TLH101,

I totally agree with the posts so far, this PC crap can only go so far, being a combat veteran 67-69 Veit Nam, I fly the art work that was on our APC that got me thru 13 months of hell, the "Kick'in Chicken", had it been a plane with whatever nose art, I still would fly it with pride on my WarBird.
I can understand somewhat, it can get touchee/feelee but its part of our history based on facts, some veterinarians/Peta don't understand my Chicken either.

Name:	36884_724.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	23225  
Old 11-22-2002, 12:38 AM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Default Re: Nose Art

Originally posted by bobripley
If that is the marking that was on the real one duplicate on your model. Don't worry about what the PC folks might say.

Rip

I agree with Bob! It is a part of History and an Honor to the men and women who fought for this country. I am doing a P47 in German paint scheme, some here didnt necessarily like it, but respect it for the History behind it. It looks to me like great nose art. 2 uh, thumbs up!

Todd
Old 11-22-2002, 04:09 PM
warbirdz1

Default Nose Art......

KICK'IN CHICKEN.........Well Said........Bill.....
Old 11-23-2002, 02:15 PM
TLH101

Hey, guys, thanks for the input. I think that I will go ahead with this bird. I have found some 1/48th decal sheets that I can blow up for the art work.
Thanks
Old 11-23-2002, 03:14 PM
flying2bill
My Feedback: (2)

Default nose art

who knows where to get pics converted to nose art? would like to do something like this, as it is now it may be a little to detailed now. could be simplified and less detailed as most warbird art was fairly simple

Name:	37101_939.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	23226  
Old 11-24-2002, 03:26 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I hate to be the voice of reason, but these planes were not where they could be viewed close up by women and children. If their Mothers and Sisters were coming to visit them, I would guarantee you that the Pilots and Crews of these aircraft would have covered the "Risque"nose art up themselves. Yes put it on if you wish, it is an honor to them, BUT, do not expect to display them where these heros Wives, Daughters, Grandchildren, and Great Grandchildren can see them and be embarrased. You do them no honor by these actions.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:50 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Well....ya knew we had to get a PC eventually
Old 11-24-2002, 07:31 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been preparing nose art for a number of fellows across the country. I work from your documentation or mine.

Email direct for more info. References available.

Name:	37245_4082.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	23227  
Old 11-24-2002, 09:04 PM
TLH101

Dick,
I am planning on getting some 1/48 decal sheets I have found, and I will send them to you to see if they have a enough detail so you can enlarge them.
BTW, Dick did the grafics for my Sea Fury, my Gee Bee, a friend's Mr Mulligan, and another friend's Constellation. He does real nice work.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:57 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Terry, I look forward to seeing the 1/48 decals.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I'm not a PC, I'm a Husband, Father and Grandfather. Try taking your plane with that nose art to a veterans center and displaying it when their Families are there, tell them that your honoring their heritage, you'd be told to cover it up or get out. I would like to think that people in this hobby have more common sense than I see being displayed by some here.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:50 AM
Skypoint
My Feedback: (7)

I can see where this spirited debate could go on for some time. I would, however like to add one thing.

I can witness the horrible by-products of Hitler's regime on "The Learning Channel" (yes, Learning) PBS, and "The Discovery Channel" on a regular basis. I have seen a small percentage of these documentaries with disclaimers, but only the most grotesque. As ugly and horrifing as it is, it's a part of our history. And that is why these stories are told. It is also why I choose to model certain planes. It is part of my very personal and family history.

Maybe a disclaimer of sorts would be proper for risque, replica ac at warbird fly-ins and other meets. That would give people a choice.

BTW, coming from a family of World War II and Korean war aviators, I doubt one would be told to "get out" of a Veteran's gathering.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Personally, I'm a fan of War Birds, and yes, even nose art, all types. I own a couple of books of WWII nose art, but I do not go around showing all the neighborhood kids the Risque' pictures. Anyone who does that would and should be labeled a pervert. Take your plane down to the local schoolyard and show it off, you'll get to meet a lot of Honorable Men and Women in Uniform, the local Police. It's like the old saying, "Your right to swing your fist(display pictures of naked women), ends where my nose(the eyes of innocents), begins. Paint whatever you want on your planes, fly and enjoy them, but do not force your likes on others, that's what those boys were fighting for over there.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:15 AM
gfinan

Dave

Those boys were also fighting for freedom of speech and the right to express yourself without the fear of censorship. He has the right to put what he feels is proper on his aircraft. I, personally, don't have a problem with his choice of nose art. On the other hand, you have the right not to look at his choice of art. Exercise your rights if you choose, but let others make up their own minds.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:30 AM
AC2
My Feedback: (34)

Default Terry,

Its your plane, it's history, do what you want!
You can never please everyone so why bother? You are doing nothing immoral or illegal. As mentioned previously its all a matter of Historical context. Also, as previously stated, these men (and women) died so that we may continue to enjoy the freedom of expression that we have today (even though some may overdo it ).

Personally, that is not the type of nose art that I would put on my plane (mainly because my wife would kill me ), jusk kidding! My kids would My children understand that history is what it was, warts and all.

If however, I do come accross a plane that I want to replicate with that type of nose art, I can guarantee you one thing, I will not ask permission from anyone. Sorry, I just simply don't need to.

Okay, I'm through venting....breath in.....exhale...whew, that felt good

Nice plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.