Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-51 Graphics Location

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-51 Graphics Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:57 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51 Graphics Location

I am about to apply the graphics that came with the TF GS P-51, however there is no clear instructions as to where the locate some of the items. Someone sent me a couple of good pics of Big Beautiful Doll which I can't seen to find in the forums anymore. Anyone have any clears pics of both sides or drawings, thanks.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: P-51 Graphics Location

There are a numer of BBD photographs at:

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51.../A68-192.shtml

Dennis
Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
FBaity

Dennis,

Thanks much.

Frank
Old 01-30-2006, 01:03 PM
FBaity

I have another question. After looking at the pics that Dennis sent one shot shows BBD in a left bank giving you a good top view. In that view it appears that the larger stars and bars is on the fuselage and the smaller one on the wing. I was under the impression the larger stars and bars went on the wing. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM
deputydog

Actually there are many instances where the larger stars and bars are on the fus. Go with the documentation of BBD. I built one for a friend and had to research to make sure of the placement of BBD on the R nose. Very seldom do you get documents of the R side of the plane. Always the L profile. The Mustangs Stars and Bars on the Fuse were LARGE!!! on many squadrons. Good Luck.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The fuse star and bar is a 30" type 4 insignia. The wing is a 35" type 4. This is consistant with the normal marking for the ETO. So.. place the smaller one on the Fuse and the larger one on the Wing. FYI. the wing insignia is 4' 7 1/2 inches from the wing tip to the center of the star on the Full Scale plane so scale it down for the proper placement on your plane. The fuse insignia is 36" from the end of the top fin strake to the Star Center on the Full Scale. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:10 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are at least 3 or 4 Mustangs done in the BBD scheme. I ran into this when I was doing mine. I used the civil reg numbers to make sure I had the same plane in all views.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:31 PM
FBaity

Wow, Bob H and deputydog have apposite views on the subject. I have the graphic package that came with the TF GS ARF and the large star and bar is just too large to fit on the fuselage side. After thinking about it, looking at model etc I have decided to use the large one on the wing. I don't intend to enter any scale contest or anything and the stars and bars provided by TF are not the correct size anyway. Thanks for all the replys guys.

Frank
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my information from Roger Freeman's book The Mighty Eight Warpaint & Heraldry. I also have the book The Egals of Duxford written about the 78th FS. These books describe the original Air Craft and not Restorations. Be advised Restored air craft are often wrong from a historical stand point. Not that it matters to the owners but it can and does cause confusion from time to time.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Wildmann
My Feedback: (3)

The Trouble with the TF graphics is its not done to any scale that I can tell
The stars on the fuse seam to small and to Long ( hense differant era )
And the wing isnt big enough.
You will find this out when you lay the graphics down and try and lay the I in the place it should be.
The Kit graphics are a more modern Possibly Korean era which make the bar to long.
So then your only alternitive is to replace the stars and bars with one that are of that era.
Which I can make .
The best lay out on that plane is from acadamy model 1/24 th scale kit directions
they have a beautiful three view of the airplane that shows the correct Military markings and placment.
Including the fact that the kill markings are only on one side, which was proper 8th airforce procedure.