Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Topflite .60 size Corsair (SPIN)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Topflite .60 size Corsair (SPIN)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 10:38 AM
derekrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topflite .60 size Corsair (SPIN)

The past year I have seen (4) Corsairs go into a spin and not come out. I have just finished building the .60 size Corsair, are there any bad habbits this plane may have?

Thanks for feedback
Derek
Old 01-21-2002, 02:11 PM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Corsair Spin

I have owned several different types of Corsairs from many different companies. I have been able to spin all of them. Some are easier to recover than others. All of them required active control inputs to bring it out of the spin and recover to normal flight. Some required a lot more than others. I had one that was very difficult to get it out of a spin. You definitely have to give it opposite rudder, sometimes you have to add aileron too, and add in down elevator. ONce it slows the spin or stops the spin, you add power and recover to normal flight. Most people are used to their trainers recovering on its own, and are not ready for a warbird that you have to muscle out of a spin.

As for the rest of the flight characteristics, I love them. Corsair fly good if built straight. Slow flight is really improved with the use of lots of flaps like on the full sized version. Nothing looks better than a corsair coming in with 50 degrees of flaps, the gear hanging, and the canopy open. Some people stall/snap roll them on takeoff becasue they don't let them get enough speed first. On my Byrons Corsair I let it build up speed to the point that it makes a little hop off the gear before I pull up on it some. Add the power slowly, concentrate on keeping it going straight, let it lift off the ground and enjoy. Good luck with it...
Old 01-22-2002, 05:51 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Default Corsair spin

Every Corsair that I have seen spin in was tail heavy. I've flown the small ones by Top Flight and I've flown the large ones by American Eagle and Ziroli. If set up properly, they fly great. The big Corsair is one of the easiest warbirds to take off and land that I have ever flown.
Before that maiden flight, put about 2 to 3 clicks of down trim in your elevator. That will keep your warbird on the ground until it is ready to fly. You'll have to feed in a little up elevator to get the tail down and the nose up when you have gained enough speed for take off. This will keep that bird from jumping off the runway before it and you are ready.
Good luck!