Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New CMP 50-sized Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New CMP 50-sized Corsair

Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New CMP 50-sized Corsair

I just measured my cowl and firewall and I have 130mm (5 1/8") Do you have your engine in yet? If not, then you're OK,,,,that's where my cowl is. To try to get it on any further would take a hammer. Also, when I reinforced my cowl, I didn't go all the way to the end with epoxy and glass cloth because I knew it fit tight as it was.
Little hint that may help you. If I were to do it over, I would move the cowl and engine out more. I needed to add a lot of weight and moving the engine out more would have helped. If you have your engine mounted to the mounts, no problem, add shims behind the mounts if needed.
Larry
Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 AM
zeno

Great
I have already drilled the holes on the engine mount, gonna see if I can get another set of holes drilled. Otherwise I'll just add a thick piece of plywood.
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Larry S

Been busy this week and finally got to fixing my Corsair this moring. Can't believe the amount of damage after falling throught a group of trees and hitting nose down. Next to none. One wing's leading edge broke back to the spar where a branch must have did that and the dummy engine has one cylinder broke out and came loose from the cowl. The cowl is scratched as hell, but no broken parts or even cracks. Must say, for an ARF, this is one hell of a strong plane with very little improvements. Even the covering on the wings didn't get tore up.
I give credit to CMP for having a great plane and the Good Lord for my luck. I had my head hung low going out in those woods just knowing I find a pile of rubble. From what I see today, this plane will be flying this weekend. Have to let some epoxy set up.
Larry
Old 06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Larry S

Zeno,
One thing I had did in the past with a problem like yours is put some tape on one end of the mount blocking the holes and fill the holes with epoxy before drilling new holes. Maybe that won't do much but it's an idea. If you have to tap new holes in the mount, might be a good idea to use nylon nuts also. I just tapped my mounts and that worked good for me, but then again, I didn't have to drill more holes.
Larry
Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 AM
zeno

Glad to hear it
Post some pictures of the repairs, before and after pictures.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:35 AM
multicasting

Where in the USA can you get one of these? I only know about Raiden TeK and EGrand, and both of those places are out of stock.

Bob
Old 06-23-2006, 09:19 AM
zeno

Bob, you should be able to get get this model through any retailer that carry Jamara-stuff as well. Its in their latest catalogue. Same plane
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Larry S

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=199987

Try this site, got it right from RC Universe.
Larry
Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Larry S

My poor plane, got it fixed up and flew it again yesterday. First flight, great, took off nice and level, did a few turns and twist and was rock solid in the air. Made a nice left final turn and came in level with just a little power on until over the runway and it floated down to a nice touch down. Taxied back to the pits and I was proud as hell. Only thing was I needed to trim more up elevator so I made the adjustments at the clevises and set my trim on the transmitter to neutral. Next take off, the plane took off and did one of those things us warbird flyers hate to see, when it lifted off the runway, it was completely out of control. It snapped and came down inverted over the only part of our field that is paved. What I had done was lifted off to soon without sufficient airspeed. On the first flight, I had to feed a little more up elevator in when I lifted off and on the second flight, I did the same thing but forgot I had made those adjustments so I ended up feeding more then what was neccessary. Damage,,, the top of the cowl was dented in but not broke and the top of the rudder was broke. The extra fiberglass I put in the cowl saved it. Only part not saved was the dummy engine. I just ordered a new one from Tower so it will be able to fly later this week.
Lesson learned,,,,,,,get that airspeed up before lifting off and also, this Corsair will stall if you don't have your airspeed up on take off and landings.
Larry
Old 06-26-2006, 11:04 AM
zeno

Still putting mine together. Seems like this is quite a sturdy plane after all
A question to you Larry, do you use the wheels that you got in the kit and do you fly off grass? If yes, then is the plane able to lift the rear and show that it has sufficient airspeed or do you have to parry with the elevator to prevent a nose-over?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Larry S

I'm using 3 1/4 wheels, not the ones I got with the kit. And yes, I fly off a grass field even though we have a paved runway off to one side of our field. The paved runway only goes east/west so when the wind comes from another direction, have to use grass. That's another reason I did not go with retracts, would have to really enlarge the wheel openings and with the gear I'm using, I have my axles even with the leading edge, so no noseovers.
On my very first takeoff, the nose darn near dug into the dirt even while feeding up elevator so I cut back the throttle and came back to try again, this time on high rate. If I have had the wheels where they are suppose to be, I would have easily nosed over. Anyway, on the second try, the nose again started to go down but I kept feeding up elevator and the plane lifted off very nice. What got me into trouble this last time was I didn't let the airspeed increase before feeding in up elevator. I had changed the trim settings. I should have kept the plane level until the airspeed increased. Wish I could tell you when you know the airspeed is right to lift, but I can't. Only thing I can tell you is in no way try to horse the plane up, it takes very little elevator to get it to lift. Also the tail will raise almost as soon as it starts to roll, just let it roll a little further and I'm sure it will lift with just a hair of up elevator, or maybe even none if your trim is off.
Have to replace the motor mount also, this one cracked.
Larry
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Larry S

Well, repairs done, hope to fly tomorrow if weather is permitting. Will give results after flights. Made a couple of changes, larger motor mount and moved the engine ahead 1/4. Will leave lead weight in and fly nose heavy to see how this works
Larry
Old 06-29-2006, 05:03 AM
zeno

Great, keep us posted!

By the way, can you post pictures of your engine mount and where you did put the lead-stuff.
I tried to balance this bird yesterday with an ASP 61 4-stroke in the nose, and an arm going out from the firewall with the receiver-battery mounted on.
Still not even close to the recommended (3") CG []
Considering getting a larger engine.. the ASP 70 - 91 weights 200 grams more than the 61. But that means this beautiful plane will have to wait a while longer before getting airborne.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Larry S

Sure. Still have the cowl off so no problem getting picture. I fuelproofed the lite ply that my dummy engine is on so have to wait till epoxy sets up before flying today. Should be about set up now. I had to add 14oz of lead to mine but with the engine moved out 1/4" and a heavier motor mount, I think it will handle better. We'll see soon.
Larry
PS I have my weight bolted to the firewall just under the motor mount. I used a blind nut to bolt it on so it's easy to take off if needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45276.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	484543  
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 AM
zeno

Aha, thats clever
Just a quick spray with some Tamiya Sky Grey (I think it was Sky Grey that matched) will fix up the fuselage.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Larry S

Well, just got back from flying the Corsair. About all I can say it flew great the first three flights. The extra weight up front really helped in one way but cost me in another. It took most of our field to get in the air but once up, flew great and came in hot, but no real problem. On my last flight, I goofed again and lifted off to soon and it snapped, this time breaking the wing in two. Again, a lot of damage but still fixable. The problem I had was the motor just wasn't large enough for that much weight. On your plane, that 70 4-stroke you mentioned should do the trick for both power and weight. I'll repair my plane and next time install a larger engine and I should be good to go. At the present time, I'm thinking of going with the 120 Corsair but using a 150 4-stroke.
Larry

Decided to fix this plane instead of getting another one. This way after the repairs on the wing, I will reinforce some very soft spots on the fuselage then repaint the plane with paint I have on hand so that future repairs will be easier to make. As for CorsairJock comment about being scale, I agree with him but only to a point. I know the complete Corsair was Sea Blue, I still paint all my warbirds with a light grey paint on the bottom so I can see it more clearly when it's out a distance. At this point, I don't care about being scale as long as it flies good and looks good to me. If I were entering it in contest, then that would be different but I'm not. I don't even want retracts, to much trouble. I rather bend my gears out and not worry about noseovers. Also I am going with a 80 4-stroke.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 AM
zeno

Thats the spirit!
I examined the wing and there are two spots that aren't covered with balsa, why the do it this way I do not know. But I have already planned for my first real crash
If the wing breaks and still look repairable I will cover up these holes with thin balsa and then use the Poly-C method http://www.rcworld.co.uk/polyc.htm. I'm not too good with film...
Perhaps its something to consider for you as well?
A quick note on poly c though, it does not strengthen like glassing does. But its a lot easier and faster to apply.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:15 AM
Larry S

Good Morning Zeno,
Bad thing about repairing planes is that it adds more weight. The wing has a fairly clean break so it won't be that hard to fix. I noticed that some of the formers came loose from the glass sides so they will have to be taken care of and the lite ply plate that holds the servos broke. Now to look for a 82 Saito to put in it. Wish I could find someone who makes a strong fiberglass cowl for this plane.
Larry
Old 06-30-2006, 09:21 AM
zeno

True true, they do get heavier during repairs.
About the cowl. Perhaps the one for the Kyosho Corsair is stronger?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Larry S

Well, finally got the plane finished up. Took it out yesterday for it's first flights and it flew great. Changes I made besides the paint was to put 3% down thrust in it and I'm using an old OS 61 engine that runs very good. As for the down thrust, the plans show 3% but the firewall doesn't have it in it so I used washers on the motor mount to get the correct angle. With the the larger engine I got by using only 7 oz of weight instead of the 14 oz I orginally had. Also the CG is set at 3".
Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82530.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	507081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57107.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	507082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64687.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	507083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51961.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	507084  
Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM
zeno

Great!
I actually maiden my CMPro Corsair last week!
Had some trouble getting it off the ground at first, but when finally up it prooved to be a very stable flier. The CG of 3" feels spot on.
The ASP 70 4-stroke runs great, put it forward as far as I cosmetically could, and put the reciever battery on a glued on ledge under the engine. Still had to put 250 gram (8,8oz?) to get it to balance at 3".
It doesn't feel that heavy during flight though. The loops doesn't get that round though, perhaps an ASP 80 or 91 would have been more suitable. But I'm happy as it is, more scale'ish flight, just need to collect more speed probably. And I'm using a 12 x 6 prop at the moment, perhaps things will change when the engine is broken in more and gets to spin a 13 x 6. Did only a couple of flights, cause guess what... yes, the retracts broke loose after my third landing.
But this is probably my fault, I was a put lazy here, I assembled as per instructions. Which means you use the 12mm `(?) long screws to connect the retracts on to blocks, then glue the blocks to the ticker plywood in the wing... This didn't hold that well. So now I got some longer screws that goes through the blocks and into the plywood seat in the wing.
The downside is that is a retract gets ripped out it will take more wood with it, which mean a more complicated repair is needed. But still.

I put a couple of bricks in to get some downthrust as well, 2mm totally if I recall correctly.

Its a beautiful plane both on the ground and in the air! It looks great with the wheels retracted and coming in for a speedy low pass, those wings gives it a very special silhouette.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Larry S

It's fun when planes fly like they're suppose to. I didn't go with retracts on this one but I do have a Vortac bomb drop that looks cool. You said you had a problem getting it off the ground, so did I. As I was picking up ground speed, the nose kept dropping lower and lower as I was giving it up elevator and finally it leveled off and made a nice climb. Beside clicking in a little left rudder and aileron and a lot of up elevator, I got it trimmed out. Landings couldn't have been better, it flared out nicely and sat down level. So far I"m happy with this plane.
Larry
Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys,

I have been following this thread, as my Corsair is on it's way from Alex at AK-Models, I might have to chime in here with a little build thread....
Hope to hear if your planesare still airworthy..?

Anyone else have any eperience with these planes which they would be prepared to share with us?

Regards
Old 01-15-2007, 07:12 AM
zeno

Hell yeah its still airworthy

Its a great plane, I've only hade to fix and repaint one side of the rudder due to poor retracts and the idle adjusted a tad high on the throttle = Nose over, fall over, and rudder takes it all. My fault. But the rudder now looks a bit more weathered, which is fine by me.

Got your eyes set on retracts? I can't really recommend the World Models retracts. They have some slop, which ain't helping on landing. Still I have managed to land many times without *ahem* "nose brake" engaged...
They might be fixable, I haven't had time to look into it.

Someone recommended the Sportsman Aviation rotating retracts (available as spare part for their Corsair). I haven't seen these myself, they're probably sold under a different name over here, still haven't figured out which []
Unless you want to spend the money on air retracts...

Got an engine for it yet?
I'm using the ASP 70 4-stroke, works great! I planned to put an ASP 61 4-stroke in it first but it was too light. You need weight up front.
So my advice would be, if you go for a 4-stroke ASP/Magnum/SC/SY (they are the same) don't to for nothing smaller than the 70.
And just for your information... the ASP 70, 80 and 91 share pretty much the same dimensions. I believe the 91 is actually a couple of mm smaller than the 70!

If I where to build another CMPro Corsair 50 I would mount the cowl a bit more further. As it is now mine is pretty much pressed against the fuselage now. I would try and go for 5mm further out. This means you can get away with mounting the engine further away from the fuselage. This plane is very heavy on the tail!
AND you'll get some extra cooling that way. The downside is that the cowl will be more sensitive to nose overs.
I got the receiver battery AND 300grams of lead mounted on a "stick" under the engine (I can get pictures if you'd like), only way I got it to balance (and remember to read about the CG earlier in this thread! I think both Larry and I used 3" (his advice))

Oh and one last thing... Remember that this is a warbird. Its a great flyer and looker. And it doesn't fly like some of the sport scale Corsairs out there. But thats part of the charm! Its not supposed to!

Good luck and remember to share pictures and info as you go along!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zeno,

Thanks for all the information, you certainly get my thanks for being the guinea pig on this project, LOL.

Ok, I am going to go with an O.S 90 that I am going to drag out of the Corsair that is being retired....The retiree 'Tinker-Belle' is an ooooold GP Corsair that if you know much about, was one of the worst flying, but nicer looking ARF Corsairs of the day....built like a brick, .40 size that needed a HELL of lot of power to get her up in the air, and keep here there. This plane has been my nemesis and lover for long enough, and I think it is fitting after this season, to send her off! She has had n ASP 60 FS under the hood - too weak, flipped over on her nose 20 times at least, flipped over on her canopy, and smashed her rudder and in the last to sorties, has lost the rudder completly, still flies mind you and does loops and great rolls to boot - sans rudder.

Anyway, she is gone, and I will usher in the new plane with glee. I have\my eyes on some oleo struts with some 'spring' in them, for those rough landings....I will keep you updates as we go.....

Love the look of a Corsair on a flyby......would love to do flaps for this beast as well, would be quite useful I recon...!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.