Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Cockpit and Canopy Frame Installation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Cockpit and Canopy Frame Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 03:18 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cockpit and Canopy Frame Installation

I'm getting toward the end of a TF 1/8 P-47 build and I am facing a couple of decisions that I'd like feedback on. I'm building the bird with a detailed cockpit and a sliding canopy with built-up fiberglass frame. When would you install the detailed cockpit and attach the windscreen frame to the fuselage and why? Before priming? Before painting? Only as a last step in finishing? Would you install the windscreen in the canopy frame prior to painting and mask it, or do it after the fact? Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Cockpit and Canopy Frame Installation

The order isn't real important. What is important is keeping primer/paint from the canopy and cockpit. You will have to mask the canopy if you put it on before the plane is painted. I'm guessing that the cockpit is being installed via the underside of the fuse? Have you already made the channels for the canopy rails? Just some things to consider regardless of your order of finishing..
Old 02-11-2006, 02:10 AM
camdyson

If you want it to look "right" I'd attatch the front section and fair it into the fuz before painting. That way you can match the paint/weathering to the fuz - looks much better than stuck on later.

I didn't fair it in on mine - foolishly, but I did mask it off and do all the base silver, paint, weathering and clearcoat on the plane. Came out nice, and no creeping under the mask, so works fine.

Hardest bit was resisting the temptation to peek under the masking during all that painting!

Post some pics as you go - always keen to se another 1/8 P47.

Cam

Oh, BTW, my gun sight is WAY over size I know - this plane started out as a sport scale build so I wasn't too fussed, just got carried away later on!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68295.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	405986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30613.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	405987  
Old 02-11-2006, 06:33 AM
SMUGator

Good comments. I've already built and tested the canopy rails, per Bob's question. I made them from plastistruct squares and I beams. Works well in the short run. Nice slide back and front. Cam's points on fairing the windscreen make sense too. This was a bit of a retrofit, so I'll post photos on Monday once I've cleaned up the chopping and reglassing.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:57 AM
jmodguy
My Feedback: (4)

Cam,
SWEEEET '47!!
Jeff
Old 02-11-2006, 11:15 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

SMU:

You can follow how I'm doing mine for the TF GS F4U in the group build thread here. Doing more on it later today. Don't stress about doing it. I think it's one of those types of projects that you spend more time thinking about and worry about how to get it right than it's actually worth once you start working through the process. The old "try not...do or do not...there is no try...only do" from Yoda in Star Wars works good for these tasks
Old 02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
SMUGator

The old "try not...do or do not...there is no try...only do" from Yoda in Star Wars works good for these tasks
I love that phrase!