Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF Corsair Wheel Well problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF Corsair Wheel Well problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:15 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Corsair Wheel Well problem

This may only make sense to those who have the TF Corsair (and the manual) but:

I'm using 3 1/2" wheels with Lee's gear.

On page 11 item 13, you have to glue in (later in the instructions but I'm past that. You'll see in a minute) the well doubler. The problem I have is that the wheel extends about 1/4" into the space beyond the well doubler (extends into the space between the doubler and the t.e., this requires removal of the doubler so the wheel fits when retracted).

This requires either

a)a smaller wheel (which I don't want to do) or
b)cut into the well doubler (which is undesireable but I can't see a solution other than:

Could I just make a new doubler about 1/4" or so closer to the trailing edge?? And cut the existing doubler as needed?

Or cut the existing doubler and put reinforcing stock to hold the rest of the existing doubler to the ribs 2 & 3?

I hope this is clear because I can't take pics at this time to illustrate.

Thanks
Len
Old 02-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Paul S.

Default RE: TF Corsair Wheel Well problem

I'm going to face the same and will probably relocated back towards the TE. I remember D Bronk did a nice circular wheel well in "If I only new" towards the beginning I believe that might help too. Anyone else?

You need the support, I'd just move it to fit.

Len are you doing any doors for the retracts?

Paul S.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:57 PM
voyager_663rd

Paul, it may not be as bad as you think. I hadn't cut out the ribs yet when I put the wheel on the axel and lowered it as far as it would go.

I then marked the rib where to cut (I'm also doing bronk's wells) and lowered the wheel a bit more. Cut a bit, lower a bit.

The end result is one wheel fits perfectly with no adjustments. The other wheel fits left to right but just ever so slightly brushes the well doubler.

I've glued on a backing to that doubler (at the trailing end of the wing) so now I can just "hollow out" a bit of the original doubler so the bronk wheel well and tire can just fit. Planning on about an 1/8" gap all the way around for the wheel.

Don't despair. It will probably fit with little or no "extra work".

Doors: Not at this point. I may think about it when I've got more done. I'll have to see how I can get them to open when the gear comes down/close when they go up.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to other threads in regards to gear doors so it may be easy. Won't know till I have more time.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:13 PM
eugene

Voyager.....I used the larger wheels also.....assemble without the rear doubler.. retract the gear and mark 1/4' past the wheel.. notch the ribs and add the rear doubler... no problem. Dont sweat these changes.. we ain't building watches...
Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Paul S.

Len that's great, Thats the beautiful part you can move it around to getrr dun, Eugene I'm with you. I will do the same too, I thinking Lee/Robinaire retracts will have something soon I hope.

This model stuff can rack up a grand in a plane real fast, wow. But at least if or when you have that extra firm landing you ill ha, (will be ill,) you Will have the engine, radio/electronics, retracts and some acc'ys left to build that kit again to try something differently. Not to worry...

Paul

Old 02-19-2006, 01:15 PM
D Bronk

Yes there`s a bit of monkeying around .I`havent` heard about the LEE retracts.But the Robarts, could be adjusted, to hit dead center of the wheel well.I set them up with the solid music wire and .they have been removed now.my next step when i get back to working on it will be to cut to length,and mount the OLEO struts..I wish I could give you guys some Pics, from when I did those wheel wells.But I didn`t have a camera at that time .I do now though..If you have questions, I`ll try to answer, but ,I`m a bit slow IT would be nice, if you Guys could, take some pics, and show your progress.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:28 PM
eugene

I used the Sierra gear, the length is fixed, so I had to used the method I described..
Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As "D Bronk" implied: it sounds more like a landing gear problem than Top Flite Corsair problem. I too haven't heard of "LEE" gears, I have used Robarts all along (even found a way to make them less susceptible to damage), and have experimented with 4" wheels with them (which is actual scale size): they would fit without any needed modifiactions to spars.
I prefer the 3 1/2 wheels tho, as they are ligher and easier to slip into the wells.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:18 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

I too haven't heard of "LEE" gears, I have used Robarts all along (even found a way to make them less susceptible to damage), and have experimented with 4" wheels with them (which is actual scale size): they would fit without any needed modifiactions to spars.
I prefer the 3 1/2 wheels tho, as they are ligher and easier to slip into the wells.
Lee Robinson's ("robinaire") gear folks.

It's probably all due to my building skills (or lack thereof). It's not an issue now. I just trimmed back the doubler a bit on one (the other is ok) and it's just fine.

Bronk's wheel wells are gonna be just fine too.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
D Bronk

MODS, are all part of the game, and Limited only ,by a persons imagination.I`ve been doing, Lots of Imagining,and ,planing.Pretty soon I`ll get back to DOING..If you, Think it`s right,for your plane.IT`s Right..[8D]