Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica Spitfire 1/5 scale -- HELP!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Pica Spitfire 1/5 scale -- HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Spitfire7856
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pica Spitfire 1/5 scale HELP!!

FIRST IF THE ENGINE IS 32CC ITS NOT ENOUGH FOR THAT AIRPLANE-BELIEVE ME I KNOW I BUILT TWO OF THEM
MY CURRENT SPIT IS POWERED BY A FIRST PLACE 3.2 WITH ELECTRONIC IGNITION AND THATS FINE
I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN EVERYTHING BUT THE ENGINE-CAN YOU GIVE ME A PRICE
THANKS
A3
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

I agree with the engine size, I would put at least a G-45 in it and mayge a G-62. I also have a 1/5 PICA kit for sale, it comes with a new set of Shindin retracts. The kit is partially built, the wing is framed and the fuselage top half is sheeted with part of the bottom half of the fuselage framed. I am just finishing up my PICA 1/5 P-40 and am not ready for another build quite yet, $375 for it all including retracts.
Denny
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
eagle56
My Feedback: (33)

It is the 34cc engine, with electronic ignition, 2.2 hp.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:26 PM
highgear

I built this spitfire years ago I do have the instruction booklet. I would suggest using it.
I can copy it.
Augie
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Shadow-D

Please delete this post as I found my answers...

Thanks
Darrin
Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Red B.

I have to disagree with the engine recommendations. Sure, if built like a brick it takes a brick of an engine to power it. If built light, say up to 20 lbs, the PICA Spit will fly very nicely using a standard ST-3000 or 3250 engine. There is a lot of wood in the kit, some of it quite dense so it really pays off to lighten the structure of the rear fuselage and tail feathers as much as possible. I have gradually moved the balance point of my Spit rearwards and it flies happily with the the balance point 5.5 in back from the wing leading edge (measured close to the fuselage). In this configuration there is no nose ballast, the weight is down to 18 lbs and nose overs on take-off and landings are not a problem any more.
I covered my aircraft with 3/4 oz/sq.yd. fibre glass except for the rear fuselage, stab and fin, which are covered with silkspan to minimize weight.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
smithfj

I just got a box full of Pica Spitfire pieces and a partially built fuselage. It appears that all the plastic parts are there and most of the sheeting but the balsa ribs are missing. I did get the instruction manual with the yellow/orange addendums. The plans for the wing are missing and I am in dire need of a set. Does anyone have a set who is willing to copy them for me? I am willing to pay any reasonable amount. Please email me. Frank Smith
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Spitfire7856

I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT-I BUILT TWO OF THEM AND I THINK I HAVE A COMPLETE SET OF PLANS
EMAIL ME AT "[email protected]
BEST REGARDS
A3
Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM
tenacious101010
My Feedback: (97)

Glad to hear there is another PICA 1/5 spit being built, I will be done with my P-40 soon and want to do the Spitfire next. Please post pictures and info as you build it, would be a big help to many of us. I am not sure if I have the plans, let me know if you cant find them, I will see what is in the box.
Denny
Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
smithfj

I was messing around on the AMA website, www.modelaircraft.org, and happened into the plans site. There is a Spitfire plan for the 88" Pica Spitfire available from them for a whopping $57.00. There's some other spitfire plans available. Thanks to spitfire7856 mine is coming along albeit slowly.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 AM
jetlag

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in the midst of repairing my 1/5 PICA Spitfire due to having tried to fly it tail-heavy.

I have seen the cg listed here and elsewhere in this forum as between 3.5 and 5.5 inches from the center of the leading edge. My plan measurments show it to be about 4.5 inches, which has been seconded here. Is this the proper cg, guys?
I guess I am looking for the proper consensus!

Thanks in advance!

Allen
Old 07-13-2012, 04:49 AM
jetlag

Guess no one knows the answer to my question???
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the RCM review on the Spit, they lost one due to incorrect CG on the plans, they discuss the revised location near the end.

http://www.rcmplans.com/issues/reque...-111991-1.html
Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 AM
jetlag

Thanks, Hemikiller, for that link.

However, it has not helped much, and here's why: My plans are 1993 plans. I want to assume these are the 'revised' plans which showed the new CG location, but I cannot be sure, as the article never says how many inches back from the leading edge their original CG was located (on the first airplane that crashed). '1.5 inches farther forward towards the leading edge' for the second plane leaves me in a quandry: 1.5 inches from where?

Perhaps you or someone that is flying one can measure the CG and tell me accurately where the CG was finally placed. I think it is about 4.5 inches from the center of the leading edge. I think

Appreciate your help much!
Allen
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
glazier808

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think that your plans would have the correct cg, as the review was done in 91' and your prints are from 98'.

Casey
Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
LA7flier

ORIGINAL: jetlag

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am in the midst of repairing my 1/5 PICA Spitfire due to having tried to fly it tail-heavy.

I have seen the cg listed here and elsewhere in this forum as between 3.5 and 5.5 inches from the center of the leading edge. My plan measurments show it to be about 4.5 inches, which has been seconded here. Is this the proper cg, guys?
I guess I am looking for the proper consensus!

Thanks in advance!

Allen
I built and flew three Pica 1/5 Spits...first on CG.....I measured the distance between the leading edge and the trailing edge next to the cockpit. I calculated 18percent of the measurement and balanced it there...all three flew fine

Second on landing gear placement...many want to cant them forward to prevent nose overs. You can do that but you end up with a funky, wrong look. I ended up relocating the main spar about 1/2 inch forward of its current location. This allowed the correct placement of the gear with the correct forward cant and the right look. If you do this, the plane will balance on the main axles. Yes, it will nose over if you are not careful but that is what the full size one did as well.

Third on engine size, mine all came in around 20 lbs all up. I found a strong 1.8 moki or larger flew the plane with adequate authority

Fourth is engine cooling....if it is enclosed, you need to use the 1:3 ratio.....otherwise dead stick landings due to lean runs

The spit is a delight to fly and beautiful to boot....a bit tricky on the ground, though
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
wellss

I have kit #91116 and the plans show the CG at 6" behind the leading edge. This is wrong! I will be balancing it at 5" and also modifying gear length and wing incidence to +2, which will put the wheels a good 1.5" further forward.