Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

102" Fully Molded Hellcat anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Fully Molded
57.41%
Laser Cut Flight Surfaces
31.48%
Foam Core Flight Surfaces
11.11%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

102" Fully Molded Hellcat anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Details 4 Scale
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 102" Fully Molded Hellcat anyone?

Checking to see how many guys out there would be interested in an accurate fully molded F6F-5 Hellcat with all the surface details molded in? Or just the fuse molded with the remaining surfaces laser cut/built up as a secondary lower cost option for guys that like to build?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:49 PM
Veltro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 102" Fully Molded Hellcat anyone?

If you do one, please include a drop tank as an option. I was talking with a WWII Hellcat pilot a couple of year ago at a warbird fun fly and he said they never went anywhere without a drop tank.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:33 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Build a fully detailed all composite and the world will beat a path to your door.
I would be in line if it was the same standard as the 3-w or fiberclassics/comp-arf kits.
Built in center section a'la Byron hellcat with might be a good idea too.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see something like that also. How many would you have to sell to make it a viable option for you?
Old 03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

I think it would be most impressive. The comcept has been around for around 12 years.
However, here is the problem. The cost of such a specialized airframe would probably not be a mass production item. Unless you can have it made in china at a bargain, but then in a few months it will probably be copied and sold to everyone on the planet.

Also, rotating retracts for such a large model would cost alot. Maybe I would be too cheap to own one of those.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:04 PM
SCALECRAFT

Heres what we did years ago. Pics of three, form a series of 8. Wing span from 50" to 64" on average
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13760.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	427522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49469.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	427523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68875.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	427524  
Old 03-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Details 4 Scale

It seems like the trend in Scale R/C has been upward in size and finish complexity. Since I've designed and begun manufacturing a fully molded F9F-5 Panther, I've come to appreciate the manufacture of larger models. Bigger flies better and is easier to build and work on, especially when it comes to placing detail within a tool for reproduction. I'm really just interested in the input from anyone interested in such a model before it reaches it's final stages. It is on the planning/design board for 2006.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
SCALECRAFT

Detail man

I didn't mean to discourage or offend. Just give food for thought.

Steve
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Details 4 Scale

No offense taken...As I said, I'm trying to gather some input on the project.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:55 PM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

Can I ORDER one TODAY????????????????????????????
Molded fuse with built up foam wings is good or a fully molded unit....where do I get in line??????????
Old 03-17-2006, 01:04 PM
johnnylwhite
My Feedback: (17)

PS.....saw your Panther at Bomber field and visited with Barry at length....
he mentioned the possibility of a Hellcat!

Awsome Panther!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Details 4 Scale

It think it's gone beyond a possibility now. More like when.
Just got off the phone with Darrel at Sierra Precision. Looks like he up for doing the scale gear and tire rims. One more hurdle down...
Old 03-17-2006, 05:15 PM
PeteJoMan

Quote from "Field of Dreams" Build it... and "they" will come, enquote. I'm up for it.

Regards, Pete
Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Veltro

I have a set of Darrel's P-40 gear. They are fantastic. Precision and simplicity at its finest. If he's on board with the gear, you're there (other than including a drop tank ). Here's some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57227.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	427886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71064.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	427887  
Old 03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Details 4 Scale

The drop tank will be a must do for the kit, I agree. They really didn't go anywhere without them. I can't imagine the short combat radius they'd have without one.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 PM
jfangohr

Dan,

Since I have a set of Hellcat molds with a span just slightly larger than what you have in mind (105â€), I thought I’d jump in here with a ‘heads up’. I built my plug and molds the same way Byron did….with the ‘winglets’ integral with the fuse and a separate tail. One of the reasons I haven’t kitted mine is because the box required to ship the front fuse section is so big it exceeds the maximum allowed by Fed-ex and UPS so it has to go by truck. Yours could end up the same way.

Weight is another consideration. My prototype ended up at just under 55 pounds and that was with no scale detailing. I put a Quadra 100 in it (10 lbs.) and still had to add another six pounds to get it to balance. Had a total of sixteen pounds just in the nose. The bottom line is that the weight of big ‘cats adds up fast. My complete fuse assembly out of the molds only weighed 6 pounds, so I thought I’d have no weight problems………Wrong!! If your customers scale one out fully they may run into the legal limit unless you think light with the design.

I’m not trying to talk you out of the project. Hellcat kits are rare and that’s the reason I developed mine. There’s a market for it. Good luck with the project.

John
Old 03-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Details 4 Scale

John,

I've been designing and building composite and fully molded airframes for 13 years. I know what you mean about the weight. I have considered carefully the weight/balance considerations of the 102" Hellcat. The tail sections must be incredibly light. The center section will be a seperate molded piece, vaccuum bagged as will most of the airframe. Granted, the hardware, gear and components add up very fast, but I think that using certain weight saving techniques and the right materials, the airframe can be kept under 45lbs. dry with all the goodies so to speak. Of course I'll save weight wherever I can. The fuse will also split behind the wing and rear boarding step for easy transport and shipping. I have learned a great deal about shipping from past projects as well, so shipping will always be a major concern. My Panther fits in a UPS oversize box 20X24X60". It ships for around $150.00 anywhere in the US. I appreciate the "Heads Up" though.

Thanks for the input,

Dan
Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

I agree Dan,
my 3-w Mustang weighs 37 ready to fly with a big old 150 in-line twin in the nose. It has the centre section seperate but I leave it set up and keep it in my trailer ready for flight. The air-world, fiberclassics and 3-w kits are all designed very light and the more modern composite methods as opposed to the old heavy glass fuses save a ton of weight. My 3-w Mustang fuse was half the weight of my Clarke Industries Spitfire fuse but both were 1/4 scale 112 inch machines. I am sure you can do it and if you make the wing centre section just past the retracts then it will ship easily and more imortantly be an easy to set up bird. I just bought an old byron Hellcat as I love the way my buddies flies and his is a few years old now.
Good Luck and keep us poated.
Paul
Old 03-18-2006, 10:21 AM
jfangohr

Paul and Dan,

It wasn’t the weight of the fuse that did me in on mine, it was all the stuff that I had to bolt into it to make it functional and safe. For example, mine needed 6 ½ inch wheels to be scale. The set I got weighed a pound and a half each….and the gear legs on a ‘cat this big are almost a foot long. Imagine three pounds moving rearward about a foot when the gear retracts. To keep it legal weight wise I ended up with some slightly smaller wheels that were only 10 ounces each but after 10 flights they were tearing apart from the pounding they took from such a heavy model.

Then there’s the flaps to consider….four large sections needing metal geared servos and the battery to drive and hold them. All the servos in a model this big have to be top of the line for safety not to mention the size and quality of the linkages. It just sneaks up on you. A Hellcat isn’t like a Mustang. It doesn’t have a long nose to hang the engine out there and the gear doesn’t retract inward.

I lost my prototype on the twelfth flight because a two inch long piece of 4/40 elevator linkage folded over in flight. The next one had multiple servos mounted in the stabs to solve the problem…..more nose weight to add.

Regardless of how well Dan does his job with the fuse it’s going to be up to all of you builders to try and keep it light. It will depend largely on the gear, wheels, and servos you select, not to mention the type of batteries, redundant systems, etc. You can’t cut too many corners with a model this size. Hardware selection is critical. I think Dan’s projected weight is possible, but take it easy on the paint.

John
Old 03-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Details 4 Scale

John,

I know what you are saying about the nose moment and the gear CG shift. The absolute bottom line with the Hellcat is to get the tail of the aircraft as light as possible, and put everthing else as far forward as possible. I'm definately paying attention to what you are saying; and for good reason, you've already been down this road. Thanks again for the input.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it possible to make the wheels and landing gear struts out of composites?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Details 4 Scale

Kmot,

I designed a set of gear legs for a 52% Edge 540 out of Carbon Fiber. Weighed almost 1/2 the weight of an aluminum set of gear. Now that you mention it. It probably would be possible, but time consuming. The wheels could be made out of C.F, but probably wouldn't save too much weight, The tires will be just like the real tires; inflated rubber. Much less weight than the solid type.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:08 PM
jmodguy
My Feedback: (4)

great idea! just keep the gear scale with the plane. Too many "scale"gear makers that make gear that is too skinny and tire/wheel combos too small in dia and too thick. Looks like chicken legs with little fat feet! Hellcat had 32x8 wheels and the rims were @18.5" in dia. Struts were about 4" in dia. Good luck! Can't wait to see one!

Jeff
Old 03-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Details 4 Scale

Jeff,

No problem in keeping the gear scale. I'm looking into a sleeved carbon fiber/steel tube gear set up. The carbon fiber would give the scale appearance for the gear and the steel sleeve would make the oleo mechanics and the major strength without the added weight of a solid component. The rotational component of the gear will be a machined linkage with an elecro/mechanical lock. Very simple, but positive setup.

Dan
Old 03-19-2006, 09:08 PM
jmodguy
My Feedback: (4)

Dan,
Great idea using CF and steel tube. Should provide enough strength at reasonable weight. As for the rotating mechanism, why don't you use a gear ala fullscale? Simple and effective. The gear should mount to the main spar and think about it - if you get the correct angles on the spar - a folding wing is just an idea away! [8D] That would be SWEEEEET!!

Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.