Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Bob
I liked the cover picture on the Squadron Signal Aces front cover with the blue frame work so that's what I used for a reference. The Detroit Miss marking was only on the left cowl and I hand painted it and the letter as well.

My other Byron 51 will probably get painted as Passion Wagon. It looked pretty good when I bought it, my plan was to restore it, but the deeper I dug the worse things got. Someone had sprayed expandable foam into the aft fuse cavity to stiffen it up. Once I got all that out and stated sanded the outside, the cracks from prior repairs began to show up. I completely gutted the fuse and put all new bulkheads in place. Glassed all f the damaged areas and even had to graft in sections from my old fuse (Detroit Miss) The foam collar is still in place but I'm going to remove it in sections and add carbon fiber a section at a time so I don't have the hassle of aligning the rear fuse. The fuselage was painted so many times when I bought it all of the panel lines were just about gone. After striping and sanding, I can still see some of them but there is not left to work with. I'll redo the panel lines the old fashion way and burn the rivets into it if I get really carried away. The drive is from the Miss and so is the gear. I kept that old plane for years with the intent of building another one and using it for parts now I got my chance.
Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Hi Guys,

I inherited a Byron P51 project that had been through 3 owners before me and never been completed or flown. This is an original kit that I first saw in a friends shop 29 years ago. I removed the "new" Q35 and converted it to a Fuji 50. Test flight was this past Saturday and it flew very well. I did not go to the trouble of painting it so the airplane is a hodge podge of primer, paint and bare fiberglass. I wanted to establish the viability of it's flight envelope on the 50 before I went to too much trouble. Well, I am hooked now. I fell in love with the four blade prop and really enjoyed the way it flies. Power and performance is notably better than on a Q42.

Here is a link to a video of the first flight. Sorry about the quality but my buddy was having difficulty tracking the model in the air.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=59-V5s3993Q

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20746.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	876975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96278.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	876976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98776.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	876977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75097.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	876978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97452.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	876979  
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
mtnflyer14

John,
Thanks for the pictures and the information. One question; where did you get the kill markings on the canopy? I used some pics of the full scale P-51 Detroit Miss in Norway (Sweden?) for reference, but could not find a good pic of the kills. BTW, that P-51 has since been repainted as Old Crow.
Anyway, I have attached a couple pics of my progress to date. Have a lot of details to finish before first flight, but this forum has inspired me to keep at it!
Regards, Mark

Name:	Om32114.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	877152   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42716.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	877153  
Old 02-12-2008, 10:49 PM
hemi

Mtnflyer

Your Miss looks great. Its been a long time since I did those markings on the canopy but I think I taped them off and airbrushed the seven kill flags in stages. The reference I used was in the Squadron Signal Aces 8th Airforce book with the Miss on the cover. Inside is a fair black and white photo but the drawing has the kill flag detailed.
You could probably scan and crop the marking and print it on decal paper.

You guys have got me thinking abouting my Byron Mustang again.

Best regards
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

HEY SCALNUT FLYER HOW MUCH WORK WAS IT TO CHANGE TO THE FUGI 50? IT LOOKS LIKE THE ENG. IS STICKING OUT THE LEFT SIDE OF THE COWL RATHER THEN THE RT. WAS IT A MATTER OF CHANGING THE REAR MOUNTING BRACKET OR MORE. THE PLANE LOOKS LIKE IT IS FLYING GREAT WITH A NICE RATE OF SPEED AND THE TAKE OFF WAS SHORT WITH A LOT OF POWER. IF IT IS NOT TO DIFFICULT I MIGHT WANT TO CHANGE MINE OVER. ANY CLOSE UP PHOTOS OF THE ENG. SET UP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS BOB
Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

ok fellows i flew my byron p-51 again today and the results with the new g-38 coil were exactly the same. i tacked her at 2800 to 2900 rpm's the same as before. i was dissapointed after hearing many times that it would make a difference. this is with the quadra 40 and the reduction unit, just to be clear. i hope my new one with the quadra 42 will give it that little extra boost. later!!

thanks bob
Bob,

Sorry to hear your not getting better performance. Don't know what to tell you other then making sure the drive is set up straight with no binding or rubbing any where.
My friends and I, as well as others, always saw better rpm and performance with the 38 coil.

Scalenut... Do you think it's wise to fly over the line of vehicals?

-M51
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Bob,

You can check out more pictures of the conversion at www.rcscalebuilder.com look in the "other kits" forum for a "trip down memory lane" thread. The conversion was very straight forward and I did not have to change the mounting of the prop shaft at all. I just repositioned the engine mount on the prop shaft so that the stock Fuji muffler would fit. If you used a smaller muffler it would allow you to conceal the engine even more.

M51,

I never flew over the cars, that would be unwise; however, we were in the middle of a 250 acre sod farm so it is not unusual for us to fly in whatever direction best suits us with regard to the shifting winds and the location of the sun. In this case I walked to the far side of the runway to keep the sun at my back while I was flying. We should of parked behind where I was standing, rather than where we did and that would of better protected the cars.

Forest
Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Mustang51

Got ya Forest. A sod farm!!! Man are you guys lucky!

-Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
masteromodels

hey dave i did check to make sure everything is lined up, in fact after every flight i check . i did find the throttle was not opening all the way the last time out but it was set the same before adding the g-38 coil. approx. 28 to 2900 rpm. now i have adujusted the throtlle linkage so i shoud get more, it was about 80% open before but that would have not changed the fact that it ran the same rpm as before. i'am going to try again next thurs. i'am going to check out bout switching to the fugi 50. hey also i have noticed that theng. starts on that fugi were very easy hand starts does that have electronic ignition? mine are the mag. and i have to use a starter to get it going.

thanks bob
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Dave,

Yeah that sod farm is a dream field for sure. I have been in love with it for eight years, but my job has just transfered me to Charlotte and that Mustang flight was my last day "on the farm".

Bob,

The Fuji 50 I am running is on a magneto. I find them very easy to crank as long as you get them wet...but don't flood them. Until you figure out the combination it can take some flipping to get it going. I never use an electric starter and find that it makes a lot of difference on where the prop is in relation to the magnets and coil to get reliable hand starts. The Fuji is much easier to hand start than a new model G62. I find electronic ignitions to just introduce more complexity into a simple system when thing start needing to be trouble shot.

Forest
Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Mustang51

ORIGINAL: Scalenut-RCU

Dave,

Yeah that sod farm is a dream field for sure. I have been in love with it for eight years, but my job has just transfered me to Charlotte and that Mustang flight was my last day "on the farm".

Bob,

The Fuji 50 I am running is on a magneto. I find them very easy to crank as long as you get them wet...but don't flood them. Until you figure out the combination it can take some flipping to get it going. I never use an electric starter and find that it makes a lot of difference on where the prop is in relation to the magnets and coil to get reliable hand starts. The Fuji is much easier to hand start than a new model G62. I find electronic ignitions to just introduce more complexity into a simple system when thing start needing to be trouble shot.

Forest

Well... At least you didn't "buy the farm".

-Dave
Old 02-17-2008, 05:21 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forest

can you post some pics of your Fuji 50 reduction drive conversion.

I replaced the Old Q42 with a GFi 45 which ran beautifully before bolting it onto the drive but now refuses to run consistantly[:@].........it pulls 3000 rmp on the test bench but then dies at idle and then refuses to throttle up again past 1500 rmp.

I have replaced bearing and ballanced everything and the motror runs perfectly off the reduction drive.........so now I'm contemplating a Fuji 50 conversion.

Also

Guys what is the flying weight of your Byron 51s (whith reduction drive)...........I refurbed mine and had to regass the wings due to many dings and now it comes out at around 27 lbs !!!

Pics of GFi 45 on the test bench attached

cheers

Alan

Name:	Ur52214.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	881434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63080.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	881435  
Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM
warbird-RCU
My Feedback: (261)

I have flown a 31 lb mustang with no problem so I think your 27 would be fine. I have heard two different stories on the reduction drive. I was told that because of the 2:1 reduction drive it will not run a electronic ignition engine and you have to use the magneto type. But I have a friend that has a 2.4 fox in his and I have only seen the old style fuji used not the EI version. I hope this helps and I'm sure there are others here on RCU with a suggestion. Thanks Donzie
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Scalenut-RCU

Alan,

Here are some pictures of my Fuji 50 conversion. I used the standard prop adapter and cut the flange off of it where the prop attached. The knurled drive shaft adapter required a different size bolt than the prop adapter was set up for so I had to drill out the prop adapter and tap it out for the right size stud. I used a grade 8 bolt and locktited it into the adapter and knurled piece of the drive.

All up weight on the Mustang is 27 lbs and it is not painted yet, probably will be 28-29 lbs when finished.

I have to crank the engine at better than half throttle in order to get enough power to overcome the friction in the drive system. I always have someone hold the airplane while I crank it and I idle it down as it is starting to rev up to speed. There is some delay between cranking and the time half throttle rpm's come up so the engine never really gets up that high while cranking. Also, the butterfly valve in the carb is still open between 1/4 and 1/3rd of it's throw when the engine dies. It takes some higher rpm's than we are used to on the engine in order to keep those blades turning at idle.

Forest

Name:	Ig13032.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	881727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82079.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	881728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97412.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	881729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs50772.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	881730  
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
spitmad

Thanks Guys

I am a little less worries now about the flying weight 27 lubs seems not so bad...........I just need to resolve the engine problems.

I had to shorten the input shaft on the reduction drive and make an adaptor back plate to mount the motor to and align the whole assembly, it seems to run freely enough with no engine connected
I have another GFi45 installed in my Topflite GS Jug........I was going to do an engine swap and see if that one runs the reduction drive.

Hmmm interesting what you said Donzie about the elec ignition and reduction drive

cheers

Alan
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM
masteromodels

HEY GUYS MY P-51 WEIGHS IN AT 23 LBS. THIS IS THE ONE PIECE VERSION. IT FLYS GOOD WITH THIS WEIGHT BUT I'AM STILL LOOKING TO GET MORE OUT OF THE ENG. I'LL TRY TO FLY AGFAON THIS THURS. NOW THAT I FINALLY IROND OUT THE THROTTLE PROBLEM , I'AM HOPING TO GET ANOTHER 2 OR 3 HUNDRED RPM. I'LL LET YOU KNOW.

THANKS BOB

Name:	Db85054.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	882034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91805.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	882035  
Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Flybipe
My Feedback: (4)

I am working on a new construction of one of the plug in wing versions of the P-51 and was wondering if folks who have built one went with the single flap servo and linkage as shown in the instructions or if you just went with one servo in each wing driving each flap, just like the ailerons.

Good Flying,

Josh P.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:38 PM
masteromodels

I ALSO HAVE A PLUG IN WING VERSION TO BUILD AND I DID NOT THINK ABOUT HOW I WOULD SET IT UP BUT PUTINNG THE SERVOS IN THE WING WOULD PROBABLY BE EASIER THE THE LINKAGE SET UP. IF YOU TRY IT LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS I CANNOT THINK OF ANY REASON IT WOULD'NT.

THANKS BOB
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Flybipe
My Feedback: (4)

I'll keep you posted. I also cannot think of a reason not to go with the individual servos rather than the linkage setup. In fact, given that the fuse servos are only accessable through the canopy, it would be a lot easier to have individual access hatches on the lower surface of the wing to access the servos.

With regards to the retracts, I have an old set of Robarts, but they need some TLC...when I went to the Robart site, I see that they are selling the Byron mustang gear for $410, which is $10 shy of what Sierra is getting for theirs, so I am thinking of giving the Sierra's a try as well. The downside is that they are probably heavier.

You gotta love those classic Byron Mustangs though!

Good Flying,

Josh P.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:46 PM
spitmad

ORIGINAL: Flybipe

I am working on a new construction of one of the plug in wing versions of the P-51 and was wondering if folks who have built one went with the single flap servo and linkage as shown in the instructions or if you just went with one servo in each wing driving each flap, just like the ailerons.

Good Flying,

Josh P.

Josh

Mine has the central flap servo which works fine, mine also had the central aileron servo operation the ailerons via torque rods........junk this and go with seperate aileron servos.....the central aileron servo method allows to much flex in the torque rods and delayed aileron reaction and makes for avery sloppy roll rate.

Alan
Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 AM
mtnflyer14

Alan,
I am finishing (single aileron servo and torque rods already in) the single piece wing P-51. Are you aware of anyone using individual servos in the single piece wing for the ailerons? Thanks in advance. Regards, Mark
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
spitmad

Mark

I know a number of guys have retrofitted the aileron servos but I can't remember their names(here on RCU) , there is an instruction thread on the advisory column on RC Warbirds web site by jack Devine.

My P51 used to have a very sloppy roll rate ( a bought a well used 15 year old model) and once it started rolling to the right it would be very reluctant to level out due to the slop in the aileron linkages and the torque of the big prop, it would keep rolling and then with almost full oposite aileron it would snap back the other way............hmmm very disconcerting..............the solution was separate airleon servos. Very easy to install and makes for a much nicer flight model .

Give yours a go as is and if you find that the roll axis is very sloppy then go the conversion to seperate ailerons servos installed outboard in the wings.

cheers

Alan

Name:	Ge94082.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	884873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52774.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	884874  
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

I put the two servos in the wing using the advice that I received from Jack Devine referenced above. It's very simple to do. In fact describing it will make it sound more difficult that it really is. Basically you cut an opening into the wing in line with where you want to place the aileron horn. Similar to what you find on say a Top Flite kit, you make a cover out of ply big enough to mount a servo to. The opening in the wing is lined with 1/8 to 3/16 balsa. The ply cover with the servo mounted to it is attached/screwed to 4 hardwood mounts that are epoxied into the corners and recessed enough so that the cover is flush with the outside of the wing. Clear as mud! LOL If you'd like more pictures I can take them for you when I return home.

Name:	Vt55967.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	885207  
Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM
masteromodels

THINKING ABOUT USING SEPERATE SERVOS FOR THE FLAPS THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT COMES TO MIND IS HOW DO YOU DISCONNECT THE FLAPS WHEN YOU DISCONNECT THE WING. THE FLAPS ARE MADE TO PLUG INTO THE FUSE. IF YOU GO WITH THE SEPERATE SERVOS THEN YOU WOUD HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE SERVO LINKAGE ALSO. I THINK YOU ARE BETTER OFF USING THEIR SETUP FOR THE FLAPS.

THANKS BOB
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 PM
masteromodels

HEY CHECK OUT IRON BAYS WEB SITE, THEY MADE SOME CHANGES, I CAN NOW BRING UP THE DOCUMENTATION AND VIEW ALL THE PARTS BREAK DOWNS FOR THE PART NUMBERS, AND ALSO CHECK OUT THE CUST. PHOTOS THEY HAVE SOME NICE P-51'S ADDE IN THERE. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME THAT THEY WORKED ON THEIR SITE. I HOPE I DON'T GET MY HOPES UP TO MUCH. CHECK IT OUT!!!

THANKS BOB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.