Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

I have a friend who wants to GIVE me an original Byron Mustang. It's been built, but never flown. Been hanging around his shop for close to 10yrs. It's got the reduction unit and 4-blade prop. All it needs is some minor cosmetic work, engine, electronics and a retract air tank.

I am looking at an original Byron 50 engine.

What did these planes weigh when built and ready to go?

I'm at 4500'--4800' elevation. Do you think this Bryon 50 will fly the plane?

What size servos should I put in it? 1/4 scale--or can I use 150oz digitals?

Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Byron Mustang w/Original Byron 50--Will it Fly?

RCPilet,
I would certainly try it. Check out everything to make sure it's air worthy. I wish someone would give me a Byron Mustang. Any takers? Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
the-plumber

Byron reduction drives are long since out of production, and the current offering from Iron Bay is quite different, presuming you can actually get one. See http://www.ironbaymodelcompany.com/

Similarly, parts for the original reduction drives are about as common as chicken lips, although you can find some items from Stock Drive Components which will work with a few mods.

The few ByroDrives I ever saw actually pulling a model through the air seemed considerably underpowered - the model simply didn't have enough power to fly well at all IMHO.

If I had a Byron model, I'd sure consider using a larger engine and if I wanted a reduction drive I'd be looking at Mick Reeves offerings. It's a belt setup which bolts directly to the engine - very solid installation.

I sold my ByronDrive along with the Q-42 several years ago because spare parts were not available, and I didn't want to be stuck with an irrepairable drive.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think the Byron Drive unit on this airplane will be needing repairs anytime soon. It's never been run.

I've seen the Mick Reeves unit. Looks nice. I was actually considering doing that with a G-62.

I called IronBay this morning, and they said this plane weighs 25-30 pounds. [X(] I'm wondering if it will fly with the Byron 50 and the reduction drive. The guy at IronBay told me that they will fly with the 50. He said it's not "spectacular" performance, but they will pull up and do a loop if you want. He's in West Virginia. And, he's not at almost 5000' elevation.

I'm not making any decisions right now, but that Mick Reeves unit and a G-62 is looking better every minute.

I'm traveling to Denver next weekend to have a look at the plane. I've seen it several times in the past, but was never interested in it. My friend knows that he'll never get it finished and flying. I saw a Byron 50 for sale and I called him to see if he was interested. He said that he wasn't interested, but if I was--he'd give me the plane. He just wants to see it fly some day. I'm not overly attracted to warbirds. I always thought they were cool, but wasn't intereted in flying them. That was, untill I went to the warbird fly-in last year at the Pueblo club. Seeing 4 or 5 big gas powered warbirds doing a low pass together gave me a little tingle. It sure was cool. I'd love to be out there flying with those guys next year. Come down the runway at 100MPH in a pack of Mustangs, Thunderbolts, Spitfires, Corsairs, Bearcats--and then do a roll off the end before you pull it over for the turn. That would be cool. Hopefully, this will work out.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 PM
LA7flier
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I have a friend who wants to GIVE me an original Byron Mustang. It's been built, but never flown. Been hanging around his shop for close to 10yrs. It's got the reduction unit and 4-blade prop. All it needs is some minor cosmetic work, engine, electronics and a retract air tank.

I am looking at an original Byron 50 engine.

What did these planes weigh when built and ready to go?

I'm at 4500'--4800' elevation. Do you think this Bryon 50 will fly the plane?

What size servos should I put in it? 1/4 scale--or can I use 150oz digitals?

Step up to a more powerful gasser. This is very old technolgy. I watched a Byron P-51 fly on the original Byron 50 engine and gear reduction 4-bladed prop. At sea level, it was a DOG! The prop flexed like crazy which definitely didn't help the performance. The engine whinned and sounded like it was turning 20,000 rpm but the plane was barely moving. Put a nice DA 50 or 3W 50 into it and watch it really perform like a P-51 should.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:35 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
I don't think the Byron Drive unit on this airplane will be needing repairs anytime soon. It's never been run.
That condition will likely change with the first prop strike. Those blades are really hard to find.

I did read a thread somewhere, maybe here or maybe over on RC Groups, about replacement blades being manufactured by a third party. Didn't note the particulars, but you may be able to find the thread with a little searching.

The one thing I will say about that original ByroDrive : the sound of that whopping propellor beating the air into submission was _very_ reminiscent of the 1:1 props you can hear in September at Reno. Really, _really_ awesome sound for a model. I think the reason Byron came up with the PurrPow'r muffler was to get the exhaust note lower than the prop note.

It was a most impressive sound.

Dunno what the Iron Bay version might sound like.

Also dunno what manner of 4-blade props you might be able to hang on a Reeves unit.

Lastly, there is a company making 4-blade props for warbirds, but I disremember the name. Seems like they advertise here or on RC Groups, or maybe both.

Rotsa ruck.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
bhouin
My Feedback: (106)

RCPilot, Iron Bay has replacement blades available for the P-51 prop drive. I have purchased blades from them within the past 6-9 months or so. If I remember correctly, they showed a prop drive with the Fuji 50cc engine on it at Toledo last year.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris, We had that same style byron plane flying at a scale contest in the middle eighties at the field in Pueblo. I still have pictures of it. If I remember it flew all right, not a barn burner but acceptable. The way the engine mounts in the Byron 51 is unusual to say the least, it would require some conversion to fit a g-62 but if I were going to replace the origional engine that's what I would use. The mustang 50 that comes with that setup is an earlier version of the fuji 50. I fly the large TF 47 with a fuji 50 so I am sure it would fly if the weight is around 25lbs. Prop selection is important and those four blade byron props were not the best, really heavy also. You might try using a wood prop instead, would most likely work better.

Larry
Old 04-03-2006, 03:36 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reduction drive with the Fuji 50 will be at Toledo again this year. However its going to be hanging in the front of the Mustang. The performance is not spectacular, however the sound and look of that big 4 blade is spectacular. We have the blades in stock for the 4 blade reduction drive system. We are also bringing one of the Ryan STA's this year now that we have the kit available.

Archie Stafford
Iron Bay Model Company
Service Manager
Old 04-03-2006, 04:21 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

HEY ARCHIE I 'AM NOT TO SURE THESE FELLOW REALLY KNOW HOW THE P-51 FLYS WITH THE REDUCTION UNIT. I HAVE HAD A NUMBER OF THEM OVER THE YEARS AND IF YOU SET THAT ENG UP CORRECTLY AND HAVE THE UNIT LINED UP PROPERLY IT FLYS GREAT. I STILL HAVE 2 OF THEM WITH THE REDUCTION UNIT AND QUADRA 40 AND 42 AND THEY HAUL PRETTY DARN GOOD. IN FACT THEY FLY VERY SCALE LIKE THE WAY A MUSTANG SHOULD FLY. NOT VERTICAL OUT OF SITE LIKE YOUR OVER POWERED STUNT PLANES. AND THOSE BLADES ARE AS TOUGH AS NAILS I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL SET ON MY FIRST ONE WITH THE ONE PIECE WING. NOTHING LIKE THAT BIG 4 BLADED TURNING AROUND 2800 OR 3K.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:28 PM
mtnflyer14

RCPilot,
I live in Colorado Springs and have flown at Sky Corral a couple times. I have the Byron Mustang with the Mustang 50 engine, direct drive. Am about 90% complete with the model and would be interested in seeing your Mustang for setup, etc. if you get it prior to trying to fly mine for the first time. My email is [email protected] if you are interested in getting together at some point to discuss this.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
masteromodels

HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES OF MY BYRON P-51 AT OUR FIELD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98494.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	440116  
Old 04-06-2006, 06:56 PM
mtnflyer14

Looks awesome! I don't have anything else with flaps and retracts so am apprehensive about the first flight. Any quirky characteristics, particularly with the flaps down?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM
masteromodels

THEY BYRON P-51 FLYS ALMOST LIKE A BIG TRAINER, IT HAS A THICK AIRFOILE. THE FLAPS HELP SLOW IT DOWN WHEN YOU HAVE NO WIND, BUT YOU REALLY DO NOT NEED THEM ON A FAIRLY WINDY DAY.THE PLANE HAS A NICE SMOOTH FEEL TO IT. JUST CUT YOU LANDING APPROAC A LITTLE HIGHER AND CLOSER THE BIG 4 BLADE ADDS A DRAG COMMING IN.MINE FLYS APPROX. 75 TO 80 MPH. VERY REALALISTIC.

THANKS BOB

Name:	Ay75316.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	440170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22114.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	440171  
Old 04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
masteromodels

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD LET EVERYONE KNOW , I CALLED IRON BAY TO ORDER SOME O-RINGS FOR MY AIR VALVES FOR MY P-51 AND THE GENTELMAN THAT ANS THE PHONE WAS QUITE HELPFULL FOR SUCH A SMALL ORDER, AND I RECEIVED MY O-RINS THE FOLLOWING WEEK. HATS OFF TO IRON BAY. I CANNOT WAITE FOR THEM TO REPRODUCE THE P-51 AGAIN. I WANT ANOTHER ONE.

THANKS BOB
Old 04-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Scott McCrory

Chris, I don't want to stir things up with everyone else, but a Byron P-51 will fly just fine up here in our altitude. My old Byron with the Quadra 40 and reduction drive flew at Lost Creek with no problem. It definatly wasn't overpowered. but flew very scale like. Give me call and I can give you more details.

Scott
Old 04-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

The reduction drive for the Mustang 50 is different then that of the Quadra 42. Unless you have all the right pieces... don't bother.
I had 4 Byron Mustangs. 3 with Q 42s', one with the 50. They fly nice. A little under powered(The 50 a little better then the 42) but they are a thrill to fly (and hear). If you decide to go with the Q42 set up, use a G38 coil, you pick up about 500 rpm because of the advanced timing. Use ONLY an original Q42. The Bennett built 42 is Not the same. I'm not knocking it, but it just doesn't have the power that the original Quadra had.

-M51
Old 04-29-2006, 06:36 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Hello RC Pilet ,

51-D GUY here, I'll take the old reduction unit if you're intrested in selling it,
that way it would help fund the Mick reeves unit , I've held one of them in my hands its a very nice unit, the reduction ratio is not as low as the byron's also. I think Micks is 1-3/4 to1 compared to byrons 2-1/2 to 1
Old 04-29-2006, 06:56 PM
51-D GUY
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Arch ,

51-D GUY here, The Museum near my house has a new 1930's era racer, Will send you

some pics next week , Also I'll take some more of the Red Lion racer for you all as

promised in case you guys want to put together a photo pack for the new kit.

Talk to you all soon , Jason
Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Seafury
My Feedback: (41)

I've seen the Byron P-51 fly with the Q42 and it climbs out faster than the Mustangs at Reno. Not everything is 3D.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:23 PM
masteromodels

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH IRON BAY? I HAVE E-MAILED THEM BUT THEY HAVE NOT ANSWERED BACK. I COULD USE SOME SPARE PARTS FOR MINE, SUCH AS A COWL, CANOPY OR ANY GLASS OR FOAM PARTS, I DO HAVE AN EXTRA SET OF BLADES AND BELTS BUT THAT IS ALL. ANY RESPONSE WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS BOB
Old 10-11-2006, 11:11 PM
spitmad

Right on Bob !

You guys seem to over power everthing , watch a real P51 fly and the manoeuvres are all high energy and the aircraft performing these at < 250 knts.
My Byron flies beautifully.............the most "scale" flight I (an other scale officiados) have ever seen, the sound of the snarling Q42 and the big prop also adds to the experience.............whilst not overpowered, the power is adequate real skill is involved in getting the best from this model. Anyone can fly "yank and bank" style in a overpowered warbird but I beleive this is a real "pilots" model ...
just my two bobs worth

Here are some shots of mine.............dig that big prop...........yeah baby !

Name:	Mk27657.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	539568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15039.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	539569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69323.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	539570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17321.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	539571  
Old 10-12-2006, 09:47 PM
masteromodels

JUST WONDERING IF IRON BAY WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SELLING THEIR RIGHTS TO THE BYRON LINE? ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THEM, WONDERING IF ARCH KNOWS? ANY THOUGHTS? HATE TO SEE A GREAT LINEUP OF MODELS GO DOWN THE TUBES.

THANKS BOB
Old 10-13-2006, 04:51 AM
morro

hey spitmad!! your two bobs worth are worth it, great looking mustang mate I have built a 1/5 topflite mustang with a four bladed prop and using a Sachs 52 for power........... arrrrrr!! the crackling sound of a 52 with homemade exhausts and it even has the poping at idle like a full size allison, WELL all I need now is the real thing.

Todd

Name:	Ig11274.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	540312  
Old 10-16-2006, 12:28 AM
spitmad

ORIGINAL: morro

hey spitmad!! your two bobs worth are worth it, great looking mustang mate I have built a 1/5 topflite mustang with a four bladed prop and using a Sachs 52 for power........... arrrrrr!! the crackling sound of a 52 with homemade exhausts and it even has the poping at idle like a full size allison, WELL all I need now is the real thing.

Todd

hey Todd.......thanks ........

Nice TF P51!.....I have almost finished the TF GS P47 which which has a ST4500 up front........scaled out with bomb rease mechs and drop tanks etc will be around 28lbs.........I have also just landed a Model Designs 100" P51 (part built) which I'll be hanging a 3W80 off the front.........now that should be a nice thing.

On the subject of by Byron P51......the Quadra 42 decided to have a "issue" and has refused to start since I bought the 100" P51......maybe it's jealous???...........I sure miss the sound of the straight out exhaust and the four blade prop !

cheers

Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.