RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron Original

Old 07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Old RC Aviator
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Byron Original

I also talked to a friend of mine today who said he contacted Iron Bay about parts two weeks ago and was told they had a warehouse full of parts and it should be no problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Old RC Aviator

I also talked to a friend of mine today who said he contacted Iron Bay about parts two weeks ago and was told they had a warehouse full of parts and it should be no problem.

I got that response to my initial request but when I sent them info onmy specific plane I got no response after many e-mails and a couple phone calls.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Old RC Aviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

If I can remember, I'll try it tomorrow at work (not that the boss will know or anything )
I can't understand it. It won't work on my laptop either. It only works on my PC. I get all the Iron Bay Links and Products and parts but not on my Laptop. Spooky!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never got to it today Darn work....gets in the way of fun
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Old RC Aviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm RETIRED!
I still can't get it to work on my laptop. The home page comes up but there are no links to anything but the second link will get you to the PDF parts list if you are running Adobe Reader or some other reader. The full parts list is there but no prices. Strange that it works on my PC and not my laptop especially when I sent the link right from the actual page with the links on it. I'll keep trying. If I can get it you should be able to. Google Byron Originals and try the links there. That's where I found it. It was a link to Iron Bay attached to the link to Byron I think.
Jay.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM
f16man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya they just give the old byron parts list that came from the kits in the document section then you have to get in touch with them on price and availability.......Kind of a pain but hopefuly they will get it together,,, They need me towork the parts department for themhaha
Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM
Old RC Aviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: f16man

Ya they just give the old byron parts list that came from the kits in the document section then you have to get in touch with them on price and availability.......Kind of a pain but hopefuly they will get it together,,, They need me towork the parts department for themhaha

Yeah that would be the job wouldn't it? Unlimited parts.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Scotty7982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The deal with Iron Bay is that in 2001 they bought the byron rights for 380k with 180 down and 200 over the next 8 years. Well in 2003 they stopped making payments and in 05 that got a big fat judgment against them. John did'nt even hire an attorney. Its now in the process of being collected, read forclosed upon. I'd be real careful sending this guy money he's dead meat.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Old RC Aviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So if I pile up the F/A-18 I'm pretty much SOL for parts. That's nice to know. Tweeks my mellons that Byron's family let the whole thing go under in the first place. When he was alive it was a first rate company. Oh well they tried to keep it going by selling to this other dude but in this country it's hard to keep anything going nowadays. Shame.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Old RC Aviator

So if I pile up the F/A-18 I'm pretty much SOL for parts. That's nice to know. Tweeks my mellons that Byron's family let the whole thing go under in the first place. When he was alive it was a first rate company. Oh well they tried to keep it going by selling to this other dude but in this country it's hard to keep anything going nowadays. Shame.
You might be more comfortable with this situation if you read that letter again on page 1 of this post from John Craig. It explains so much. It was a first rate company back when
Byron Godbersen ran it because he subsidized the business to the tune of 10 Million dollars. He could. His money was made building ShoreLand'r boat trailers and docking systems. He didn't ever make it building model airplanes. You can't blame the Byron family for halting production when he died. It was not their personal passion and I don't think they should be obligated to continue subsidizing the loss. In hind sight we all benefitted from Byron's generousity by buying reasonably priced giant scale airplane kits at way below manufacturers cost. We didn't know it at the time, but that is what it was. I do not see how the current owner (John) is going to be able to make a go of this and pay back his purchase price of $380K. It just does not seem possible with an expensive 20 - 25 year old product line that has so many direct competitors with a better cost base. Leo
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Old RC Aviator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see your point.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Question to all you Byron Lovers.....did he ever produce a J-3 Cub? Not a Super Cub, just a good old-fashioned Yellow J-3!
Towards the end, Byron produced a large J-3 Cub ARF. I don't remember the exact size but I believe it was somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 scale. One of the local people here in central Iowa had one.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, thats the reason earlier up the thread I took some heat for saying I wish the molds had gone to China.. I know I didn't telegraph my sarcasm well. I have discussed it so many times with friends I am not very PC about it anymore...But living here in Iowa, and having friends that flew the prototypes and were closely involved with Byron it just makes me mad that such a good product can't be made here... yet we can get it done on the otherside of the world and sent here cheaper. And even though its political to say it.. Its not all Chinas fault, or a businesman either. The government has made it impossible for many people to make a viable product because of taxes/redtape... alot of the jobs wern't sucked out of America they were pushed.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
cmulder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the reasons you americans can't do it becouse your cost of living is to high.
And your cost of living is to high since you rely on comercial companies who care making huge profits for primary things like healthcare and finance.
Remove those profits and the USA will become able to compete with the likes like China and lesser extent Japan who do not have those cost.

In Holland the tax is a bit higer but the cost of living including healthcare is lower.
Same in Ireland. exept for the high prices of housing.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Scott Prossen

ORIGINAL: F4u5

It's unfortunate that someone from the USA wishes China was producing something (especially from a former USA company) so that we could import it back in to the country and give China some more of our US dollars.

Jeff
AMEN TO THAT

Scott
ditto to the AMEN.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM
ram3500-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cmulder

the reasons you americans can't do it becouse your cost of living is to high.
And your cost of living is to high since you rely on comercial companies who care making huge profits for primary things like healthcare and finance.
Remove those profits and the USA will become able to compete with the likes like China and lesser extent Japan who do not have those cost.

In Holland the tax is a bit higer but the cost of living including healthcare is lower.
Same in Ireland. exept for the high prices of housing.
I don't see it that way. Industry fueled this economy for many decades ( and won WWII which, by the way, liberated your European countries from curtain domination by a vicious dictator). Industry that produced quality products that were in demand and sprang from inventive and creative brilliance, provided good jobs with good benefits as well, and made it possible for those who WANTED to work and provide for their families, to do so, even without costly higher education, that we are now told is essential if we want to work. It wasn't till this government decided to 'fix' the rest of the worlds economy, that this one was compromised. Now, we have a society of consumers, unable in large part to fund their consuming habits that evolved from years of economic prosperity in an environment of free enterprise. I blame the government, not any commercial enterprise, be it industrial, medical, or manufacturing, for this mess.

And yes, it is sad that we now look to China to produce what we want. Very sad indeed.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Funny, thanks to the current ecomony and government we are now ranked 20th in education out of the 20 major nations, so yes, I would rather see the byron molds go in a dumpster than to china, but I really hope a third party investor who has cash to burn would buy the debt, and resume the production of the classic kits byron wanted to see in the air. There is a market for them, and not just collectors, just go to the auction sites, type it in, and then wait about 1 week, I bet you'll see the guy who won posting that he/she is doing a build thread on the kit he just got. So yes, great american nostalgia, but I would NEVER buy a chineese made byron, that's like putting tunafish on your peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After all this back and forth about whould should be manufacturing the Byron kits, has anyone heard anything more about what is going on with Iron Bay. I' am curious to know if there will be some sort of settlement . I have 2 of the P-51 kits and I would like to get some spare parts. I flew one yesterday and what a thrill it was. i also flew my top-flite p-51 and there was no comparison in looks, stability and just all around my most favorite p-51 ever kitted and that include top-flite - pica - Dave Platt - nolsen -ziroli - This is just my opinion.

take care bob
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 PM
ram3500-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Byron was certainly a leader and innovator in giant scale aircraft while he was with us. His show was a thing to behold and I am grateful to have been able to get to the one in 1993 and meet Byron. We flew out and landed at his little airport. I'm not so sure we haven't seen the end of that kind of passion and dedication coupled with personal financial sacrifice for the sake of the hobby and giant scale. Seeing all his creations up close including his giant B-29 (the static version) fueled my interest in these big planes for sure. I only hope Iron Bay can continue some of Byron's work like the P-51 and the Corsair.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:41 AM
warbird-RCU
My Feedback: (261)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Iron Bay will continue, after I had talked to John on the phone and he is trying to get geared up for the summer by making more parts and to have the kits available. That way you can order one and all he has to do is say how would you like it shipped. He has been tied up with the military side a lot lately. As it has been said before to be able to put some of this stuff back into production. Dan Smith is taking care of orders for him and is new and learning very quickly on what is what about the item numbers and kits Iron Bay has to offer. I to would hate to see this stuff end up in China. I do think that John will try to get Iron Bay moving again and like me I am willing to wait to be able to keep my Kits flying. I Hope all goes well for Iron Bay in 2010. Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Warbird how long ago did you speak to Iron Bay. I would love to know if they fixed the boiler for the injection molding machine. Then they could actually begin producing the P-51 and zero and P-47. They kept saying they were going to fix it but I never heard anything more about it. Oh well I can just keep on dreaming. Did John bring anything up about the judgement against them that was posted on RCU or did you ask them?

thanks bob
Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Loopman
My Feedback: (195)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys,
Once upon a time America was looked upon for technological, consumer and military goods and we were the best because no one else in the world had access to the industrial level we had attained. Prior to WWII we were isolationist and pretty much stayed out of everyone elses problems (unless it fell under the Monroe Doctrine), this gave us the peace to produce a vast quantity of what we consumed and what we could sell to other countries.
Again after WWII we were the only country physically unscathed from world war and able to continue the industrial prowess that we had become known for, at least for a time. After the war, we took it upon ourselves to invest heavily in the recapitalization of the nations we had defeated and we assisted heavily in rebuilding the countries of our allies. We also got caught up in stemming the tide of communism and that lead to our export of industrialization to third world nations. By installing (or forcing) democracy on these areas of the world we also gave away some of our technology in order that the people would see that the U.S. was the shining light of the world. If you remember the mythological story of Prometheus, who gave man fire thereby lessening his need for the gods, that is what we did to oorselves.

Anyway, the countries that we rebuilt took our technology and manufacturing blueprints and eventually just flat out made a cheaper (yet not better) product. Japan, whose entire national doctrine was re-written almost singlehandedly by Douglas MacArthur, was the first to successfully manufacture transistors in enormous quantities. This led to their dominance in electronics, which now can be said of all of Asia. I'll stop here as I could get very wordy on this.

NOW, let's just accept one thing. The world is connected through the internet so there is no isolationism in the physical sense. We are dealing with a global economy which is tilted heavily towards Asia. As for our hobby, We fly planes made in Malaysia, with engines made in China, with radios (and I say all radios) made in Korea. Futaba and JR (Japan Radio) are manufactured in Korea for the most part. Byron is not around any longer because they could not compete. And you know what, the same thing will happen with the Asian companies. As the standard of living rises in these countries and the cost of labor rises they too will look for outsourcing to bring their profit margins back up. It's all ready being said that Africa will be the next Asia as labor is cheap there.

One more thing, I would love to fly one of the composite Corsairs coming from Germany but not at what they are asking! I'll bide my time until next Spring when ESM comes out with their 85" version.

Happy Flying!

Loopman
Old 01-01-2010, 11:07 AM
ram3500-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Byron himself never tried to 'compete' as you say. His stuff was always expensive. Even by the standards back then, much less today. But it was unique and innovative in the day. You got every piece of hardware (all quality and usable by the way), a very detailed manual (using good grammar and in English), good quality glass, wood, and foam, and plastic parts, and good usable scale gear parts.

I had one of the P-51s that came with the engine and gear reduction system already installed in the nose section. Those 4-blade props were a thing of beauty, albeit not that efficient.

Even an average builder could produce a good looking bird that flew well. But then, we all built back then.

Byron wasn't about the profit, he was about providing his little dreams to the flying public, a concept almost lost to this greedy world we live in now. He sacrificed profit to produce what he did, a business model that his kids were not willing to adhere to.

He lived very comfortably in a beautiful home with a killer RC airport, hangers, hard surface and all, in the back yard, and loved to share with fellow, modelers, inviting the whole modeling world to his home for several days each year. How many in your families share your passion for model aviation. Not many if any, I suspect. We are in the vast minority.

Most wealthy people invest in cars, multiple homes, some in full scale planes, and other things (I work for them in construction), but few are even interested in model aviation like Byron was. We miss his kind, more than some realize. Who will replace Byron, Bob Godfrey, Wendel Hostetler, and the like? Things certainly have changed.[]
Old 01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcome to instant gratification, that's what drives the market today, if it's not easy, why do it? That's the mentallity of most these days, so you can see that almost every plane out there has been changed into ARF from a kit. Most vendors will buy cheap from china and sell at a small profit range, enough to pay the bills and live comfortable.The day's of providing a super product at a very reasonable price to keep them rolling out the door are over, in the company I work for, if the margin isn't 30-40%, we won't do the job or sell the equipment. Byron was almost giving his kit's away back then considering his end run margin was probibaly around 10%. But he had other things that made him real money, this was just a hobby and passion for him, so making money at it didn't even cross his mind, he just did it because he enjoyed it and wanted to share with the rest of the world what he loved. I really wish he sold it before he passed on to a viable company to carry the product line on, but he did what any parent would do, leave it to the kids, he just didn't realize that they only looked at the models as money and not a passion thier dad had.
In short, I really hope Iron Bay get's this all straightened out, I would love to buy a few old byron kits to add to my hanger, true, there are better and bigger planes out there, but it's always nice when you see a byron plane at the field, amongst all those cardens and wild hare's out there.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 AM
SteelersRule!

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have tried to open up their website for a few days, I have an interest in the Weddell WIlliams model. I saw one email for the service department and I recived the following response yesterday.
Hi Lou,
Here is a link to our website. The site is best viewed using MS Internet Explorer also, if you experience problems with the links, it may be the pop-up blocker on your browser.
You can check our website for product information.

www.ironmodelcompany.com

The following kits are in production:

F4U-1 Corsair

F6F-3 Hellcat

AT-6 Texan

T-28 Trojan

Cessna 195

Waco UPF-7

Weddell Williams

Gee Bee R-2

Sundancer

Extra 300 (20% and 28%)

Sukhoi SU26M (20% and 27%)

Ryan ST-A

You can email your order to us, just make sure to include a complete name and shipping address.

We accept Visa, Mastercard, or PayPal. If emailing your Credit Card info, most people break the number up into two separate emails for security purposes, include the expiration date as well.

If you want to do PayPal, wewill send you an email invoice through them. You then respond to their invoice with your payment info on their secure server and they forward it to us. When we receive their response, we then enter the order.

Regards,

Dan Smith

I have asked for pricing, etc and do not know if I will get anything back.. Saying that does anyone make a standard or giant Weddell Williams model out there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service