Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Byron Original

Hi All,

To Jim Phelps,

The Byron Kit line was a innovative product in its time. To bring back the line would be a major undertaking to say the least. With some of the current imports both asian and european, it will be a considerable challenge to just break even. I would suggest offering builder's kits as as option with the basic components needed to construct the model and leave the hardware choices up to the builder. If desired, a hardware package could be offered or perhaps a bill of materials (hardware list) so that a builder could source the needed bits to complete the model.

Considering the current price of polyester resin, it might be that the difference between poly verses epoxy is negligable. It might be worthwhile to make the glass components from epoxy rather than polyester as were the original kits. I think the hardest part of producing a new line of kits would be the injection molding of the assorted propietary parts that Byron offered. Some of the kits had foam molded wings w/ aluminum sub-frames for the retracts. It might be that those kits could be redesigned to use hot wire cut foam componenets inplace of the injected molded ones.

Another consideration would be to see if any of the current model engine builders could be of some assistance with getting production up and running. The bulder would have a compatible source of airframes for his product and you may benefit from having a machine mfg company that could produce parts competively and in a timely manner.

For all this to happen and to have a competant staff to design/re-design the byron line along with marketing & product support you are looking at a multi-million dollar investment.

I salute you if you can pull this off and make a profit too.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed. And by the way, I want to place an order for a Bryon P47 as it was one of the most fun planes I had to fly!

Best Wishes & Luck

Carlos G.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #84

What they have told me in the past was that the injection molding machine was down. That was years ago and they have done nothing to correct it. That leaves a line of their kits out of the market, such as the P-51 and P-47 and Zero and their P-40 because these kits had the injection molded wings and tails , and also some of their other kits. I wish you a lot of good luck with your venture .

thanks Bob
    p40bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My $0.02:

Iron Bay bought the Byron line in 2001 with the intention of bringing it back into full production. I ordered one of the first Iron Bay-built Hellcats from them the day before 9/11. In the months after that, a lot of business opportunites came up related to the war. The fact that Iron Bay now owned a giant scale model airplane company with a solid business history most likely helped them get military contracts. Consequently, they never seemed to go into full production with the Byron products.

While there are several great Byron planes, there are also a few duds and some that are so far out of date that they have no value. It is probably more profitable for Iron Bay to retain the company name and keep selling parts and kits as time permits than taking a loss selling the company.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to start a new company with my own Corsair, Hellcat, T-28, etc., of similar design.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first Byron Corsair had over 250 flights lasted 10 years and sold it, I have had three others sense then, also the hellcat, and 47, great flying planes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67978.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1845186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64463.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	1845187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk15956.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	358.8 KB 
ID:	1845188  
    Doesn\'\'t \"expecting the unexpected\"
    Make the unexpected expected?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Veltro

My $0.02:

Iron Bay bought the Byron line in 2001 with the intention of bringing it back into full production. I ordered one of the first Iron Bay-built Hellcats from them the day before 9/11. In the months after that, a lot of business opportunites came up related to the war. The fact that Iron Bay now owned a giant scale model airplane company with a solid business history most likely helped them get military contracts. Consequently, they never seemed to go into full production with the Byron products.

While there are several great Byron planes, there are also a few duds and some that are so far out of date that they have no value. It is probably more profitable for Iron Bay to retain the company name and keep selling parts and kits as time permits than taking a loss selling the company.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to start a new company with my own Corsair, Hellcat, T-28, etc., of similar design.
    which ones where duds?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not calling it a dud but the P-51 and the foam joking part used in joining the fuse during the build was pretty weak mine broke
    Doesn\'\'t \"expecting the unexpected\"
    Make the unexpected expected?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you everyone for your excellent points. I will bereaching out to them very soon and will keep you posted. All we can do is try! lace w:st="on">lacename w:st="on">Ironlacename> lacetype w:st="on">Baylacetype>lace>is a great company and certainly did us a favor by saving the Byron legacy. itsmy only hope that moving forward we can take a diamond in the rough here anddeliver a very nice product that has a good business plan, brings jobs back tothe USA and adds value to everyone’s hanger while having a whole lot of fundoing it. >>

Happyflying to all!>>

Jim Phelps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck Jim!

I'm sure there are lots of guys who would love to see it happen.

Casey 
    Fliteskin, Sierra, Nelson Hobby, MICKO aircraft, Getstencils, Holman Plans, VicRC, Castle Creations, Addicted to Luft, BestPilots.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: weazel1

ORIGINAL: Veltro

My $0.02:

which ones where duds?
    The P-40 for starters. And the Sukhoi aerobatic plane. Byron had a big product line. It wasn't just warbirds.

When Iron Bay first started selling kits they were anticipating a lot of interest in the Corsair. They got more orders for the Hellcat and requests for the T-28.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

heck, who needs the injection molded foam parts.Do a built up wing and tail feathers, lazer cut even

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello,

I have a complete, unfinished, with motor, Byron Originals Warbirds Collector Series P-51 Mustang 1/5 scale plane. I "found it" in some stuff I was clearing out of an attic and am interested in selling it. If you would like to make an offer I have a set of photographs of all the pieces. I laid them out so buyers could see what it is. There are no radio control components.

If you are interested you can e-mail me. gfatula@gmail.com

It looks like an amazing model. I am into boats so I have no interest in building and flying it.

Thanks,

George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello again,

I have a link to photographs of the P-51 model I have for sale.

http://s598.photobucket.com/user/gfa...0Mustang%20kit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jimphelps

thanks for the info bob! i agree which is why i am currently working on a business plan to review and discuss with ironbay. wish me luck as i would would love to put byron back in the saddle!
    thanks,
    jim
    Getting back on thread topic.....Is there ANY update to this much anticipated discussion?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345