Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hanger 9 Corsair/ VQ Mechanical Rotating Retracts with Oleos: an Experiment

I have a pair of Hanger 9 Corsairs, both have 1 flying season on them using the standard Hanger 9 retracts.

There has been a LOT of discussion about the H 9 retracts, and at best they can be called barely adequate. I personally could live with them, but would like to find something better that:
    A) doesn't cost a lot of money, and
    B) doesn't require extensive mods to the wing.

For those of you that have the time and money, there are several other options, mostly air operated systems. This thread however is intended to focus on another alternative: the VQ retracts.

Seeing an advertisement for the VQ retracts (see link below),
    http://www.vqmodelaircraft.com/produ...90retract.html

it appears to me that they are identical to the Hanger 9 ones EXCEPT:
    A) the housing/ mounting is different, in that these have mounting plates on the bottom instead of the top, and
    B) for a grand total of $59.99 + shipping, a set includes oleos VERY simular looking to RoboStruts.
    Otherwise, they appear to use the same trunions, retract mechanisms, and struts (altho shorter on the VQ to accept the "oleos").

By having the mounting flanges on the bottom, I feel that I will have more options available as to exactly how they are mounted. I am hoping that I can mount them in such a way that will allow installation of front landing gear doors. I also want to angle them forward slightly, so that the oleos operate better AND the aircraft becomes less prone to tip overs.

All that said, I have ordered 2 sets (1 for each of my H9 Corsairs) from a dealer here at RCU (nemesis4U?), and I will document my progress and thoughts as I install them and perform modifications.

Anyone else who has a set of these (VQ) retracts, OR is intertested in installing a set on your H9 Corsair, P-40, or Hellcat is welcome and encouraged to contribute. I encourage honest thoughts on these, positive AND/ OR negative.

Pictured below is my Saito .91 powered H9 Corsair (with Royal Corsair decals and RoboStruts installed) and my highly modified electric powered H9 Corsair.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54392.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	440929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24943.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	440930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo29550.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	440931  
    Avatar: Electric Powered, Highly Modified Hangar 9 Corsair
    Club Saito Member #670

RE: Hanger 9 Corsair/ VQ Mechanical Rotating Retracts with Oleos: an Experiment

I don't know about the VQ retracts, but the struts are made of very soft metal. The inner strut is too small and slops around in the outer tube. Creates a wobble. The mounts for the knee assembly are very soft, as is the knee material. This lets the lower strut twist causing toe-out problems. These obsevations are based on a pair of struts I purchased direct from VQ last year. But, the struts that I have no use for, were 1/2 the price of Robarts.
    Ihave added some pics to illustrate what I mean. In first 2 you can see how much they will twist with just a slight amount of pressure. In the 3rd pic, notice how the inner strut is not exactly inline with the outer tube. In the 4th pic a small amout of pressure is applied and the tube align better.

Name:	Us53475.jpg 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	440954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56095.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	440955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kp35368.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	440956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ke91791.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	440957  
    Terry
    "Old Fart" in training. (not to be an R/Cer, but to be an "Old Fart")
    P-39 Brotherhood # 6
    P-38 Brotherhood #69

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The VQ retracts arrived, so here are my impressions based upon 1 set (second set remains packaged for now):

I agree with TLH101: the oleos are more cheaply built than genuine RoboStruts, BUT they about 1/2 the price. The motion on 1 has about 3/16" more travel than the other one, but the extended length remains constant.

The housings/ retract frames are made from aluminum, and are considerably lighter than the H9 ones:
    VQ frames: 16.3 gr/ pair
    H9 frames: 43.1 gr/ pair
    However, the stamping process appears to be inconsistent, as the mounting flanges are not parallel. I will have to mount these units to mounting blocks, then glue mounting blocks to wing while the retracts are attached.

The molded trunions do appear to be very much like the H9 ones, BUT they appear to be made from a cheaper plastic. One of them has considerable slop, and the strut appears to exit at about 85 degrees when locked down (see picture). I believe that I will use the H9 trunions when I re-assemble them.

As shipped, they have about 1/4" shorter strut length than the H9 ones, meaning I will either have to lengthen them OR modify wheel well location.

The ball links appear to be heavy duty, and unlike the early H9 ones, should need no modification.

At this point, I am thinking that these are a VERY good design, but VERY poorly made. The ball links are the lone exception. Too bad H9 and Hobbico design theirs with mounting flanges on top. I do feel however, that I can make a good set (better than original H-9 ones) by combining parts from these 2 sets (VQ and H-9).

Name:	Hf10073.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	444473  
    Club Saito Member #670

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CorsairJock
    I have made some ball links for my rom-air retracts and put a set of them on my H9 corsair which is one great plane when prepared and flown properly. I was wondering if you would like to try a set of them out & see what you think of them.

C.K. Shahan
    Man, There is all kinds of GRAVITY around here. AMA #191557

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

CorsairJock
    Let me clarify that I put the ball links on the stock H9 retracts. My earlier post sounds like I put the Rom-Air retracts in the plane.

C.K. Shahan
    Man, There is all kinds of GRAVITY around here. AMA #191557

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Both of my H-9 Corsairs have the heavy duty ball links, so no problems there. The VQ ones do appear to be even better, but the H-9 ones work fine.

The biggest reason I am doing this experimentation is so that the retracts units themselves will be mounted higher up into the wing, which hopefully will allow me to add funtional front landing gear doors.

Another reason I like the VQ design is that it will allow me to angle the gear slightly forward, which allows the oles to perform better, AND puts the CG farther behind the main wheels, making is less likely to tip over.
    Club Saito Member #670