Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Kyosho P40 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
aeroscale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kyosho P40 Build

Finished my Kyosho P-40 two weeks ago and flew it last Sunday. Went quite well with an O.S. .48 Surpass; plenty of power for scale-like flying. I completely refinished the model to a desert scheme, added panel lines and some weathering, it no longer looks like an ARF!
AEROSCALE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82397.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	470586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90362.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	470587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81330.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	470588  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:28 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Maiden Today

Did the maiden flight today. Very pleased.... Needed no trim at all went off like a dream with the OS FL 70 four stroke. Plenty of power with the Master Airscrew 13 x 6 prop. Was very pleased indeed. Will put a little more throw on the ailerons to make her roll a little faster. THe Hanger 9 twist and turn gear worked very well and held up fine on our grass field. I was surprised that the ground handling was good also given the narrowish track of the wheels.

I would certainly recommend this plane and the OS FL 70 as the engine

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 PM
stallwart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aeroscale

Finished my Kyosho P-40 two weeks ago and flew it last Sunday. Went quite well with an O.S. .48 Surpass; plenty of power for scale-like flying. I completely refinished the model to a desert scheme, added panel lines and some weathering, it no longer looks like an ARF!
AEROSCALE

Great looking plane Aeroscale. What did you use to refinish your P-40, paint or covering/dull clearcoat?

Bigplumbs, I've enjoyed the three or so builds you've posted on this and other sites that I've read. Your planes are neat, clean builds. Your build along tips, with photos, and those posted by others, on these threads are invaluable, helpful aids.

You have an unfair advantage over a lot of us in this hobby, Bigplumbs. When I asked my wife if she would be interested in painting a pilot figure for me, she only reminded me of how consumed I am with R/C[&o]
Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

I think m wife thinks the same but we all need a hobby..................... Does your wife have one ?

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
stallwart

Why, yes.....reminding me of my shortcomings..............lol. No, she's actually into collecting antiques--- furniture, glass and tableware, etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:06 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And here's a picture of my recently finished P40.

I decided that it was not as colorful as I wanted. So I added the red balls in the stars. That didn't seem enough, so I stripped the camo covering on the rudder and did it up in the red/white bars to sorta match the pre-war style of the stars.

It's got the WM retracts on it also. That's a story all by itself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71042.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	501736  
Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Very nice indeed. Were you able to get the sharks mouth on without wrinkles

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 08-05-2006, 06:48 AM
da Rock

As you know, that decal must fit over compound curves and doesn't.

Nah, I had to slice it in 6 or 8 places with a razor and overlap most of those cuts. All of the cuts but one caused overlaps. The one that caused a gap was up in the upper "incisors" (front teeth). I used a strip of striping tape to fill in the gap.

Also, with the way I laid on the decal, the lower forward part would not reach the cowling intake. So I used a bit of red UltraCote for the missing tongue and another strip of striping tape for the missing lip. Their shape of the shark mouth and the positioning of it shown in their advertising is quite different from any historical picture I've seen. I couldn't bring myself to mimic their layout. So I angled it more and moved it to suit me, and that left areas to fill in. No problem. "I'm a modeler and we can fix anything."

It baffles one to figure out why a mfg would supply bits and pieces that aren't even close to suitable to the requirment.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 PM
da Rock

First flight went off today with only a few little hitches.

The wind was too blustery to tell much but it handled good enough to suggest more good is to come. It took no trim until I retracted the gear. I've got WorldModels retracts in her. When the wheels went up, so did she. Took a bunch of down trim to make up for the change in drag. No big deal.

The OS50 I put in the nose is a HOSS. It's a ringed engine from the 80s but was NIB until I finally unwrapped it and gave it a home. It handles good so far.

I just heard from my LHS that the Kyosho Me109 has been shipped. Jeez, I hope finding retracts for it aren't half the war finding the WM ones turned out to be.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:41 PM
stallwart

darock,
Check out the link to a thread below. Abbeville pilot has a nice looking build of the Kyosho 109. He's setting it up for electric, but you can still follow his retract installation.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&page=2&pp=15
Old 08-06-2006, 02:57 PM
da Rock

excellent advice

thanks for the headsup
Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 PM
stallwart

Darock, how 'bout some follow ups on your 109 build? Maybe a thread? I should have mine tomorrow and am planning to install my first set of retracts in it. Needless to say, I'll be in need of info and will certainly have questions.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:29 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Had a lovely flight on the P40 tonight. This is a lovely plane to just throw in the car a nip out for a quick one . The OS FL 70 four stroke is just getting broken in and with the exhaust comming out below the plane I get very little oile on her. Didn't even have to wipe her down tonight

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 08-28-2006, 02:13 PM
boggey090

Bigplumbs,
Have you flown you P40with the OS 70 yet? how did it fly and did you place the muffler on the outside.

Boggey090
Phoenix, AZ
Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: boggey090

Bigplumbs,
Have you flown you P40with the OS 70 yet? how did it fly and did you place the muffler on the outside.

Boggey090
Phoenix, AZ
Yes I have flown her several times now I would say around 8 flights. She flys very well indeed with the OS 70 fl in her. Yes I did put the muffler outside the airframe. It comes out on the bottom and I get very little mess on her like this. She is a lovely light plane to fly and great fun. Looks very good in the air also

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 09-11-2006, 01:39 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Must have had around 14 or so flights on her now and excellent plane for the money. Had to remove the remote glow though as slight vibration wore through the insulation and caused the wire to short and could not get a glow. Took a while to track it down but she is up and running again. The H9 retracts are working a dream

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 11-09-2006, 08:14 PM
p51delta

Excellent build preview. Thanks for all the valuable info. I wish I could find time to get my kyosho p-40 finished. It's coming along slowly.
Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:51 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Keep with it this is a lovely little plane and flys a dream with a 70 four stroke up front

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM
p51delta

The kyosho P-40 is my second warbird. The 1st was a p-51 from kyosho and it only lived about 6 months. It was fun while it lasted. My p-51 always wanted to do a nose over into the dirt on landings and TO. Is this a typical warbird problem? Can I expect this with my P-40? My p-51 always pulled hard to the left on Takeoff so I had to counter with hard R. rudder. Is this also warbird typical? The first couple TO's almost went bad because I was afraid of nose over and therefore kept constant up elevator on TO.. Result, the bird jumped right into the air with too little airspeed and then tipped over one wing. Wow, that can get your heart rate up.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
da Rock

Warbirds don't noseover any more often than most other models. All of them require the main gear be far enough forward to handle good. So a semi-scale warbird or FourStar or whatever is going to noseover if the gear isn't far enough forward.

I put retracts in my P40. The wheels are located very slightly aft of where they'd be if I'd plugged the included fixed gear into the airplane. It does want to tip over at the grass field, but all it takes is holding some UP while taxiing out to the runway. Soon as I start the throttle forward, I ease out of the elevator. It takes a bit of faith to watch the tail come up with takeoff speed, but my P40 does a very pretty take off. As it gains speed the tail comes up (and I close my eyes) and it runs on the main wheels as I continue to push the throttle up and about 2/3 throttle I ease in some UP and she's headed for the sky. It takes a very little rudder the whole time.

If your takeoffs are the SLAM AND PRAY type, where you get the airplane lined up and try to get it over with as fast as possible by FIREWALLING THE SUCKER, you're causing most of the problems. Sudden acceleration is where a lot of the left turn comes from. It also torques the left wing down. That pushes the left wheel into the runway harder. And lightens the right wheel. Now you got the engine turning the airplane left and the left wheel trying to pivot the airplane left. And less drag on the right wheel. Need lots of rudder to deal with that? Sure do.

Plan to use the runway to gain speed and move the throttle sensibly and a lot of the rudder you used to need won't be needed. And the airplane won't suddenly decide to trip.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:43 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: darock

Warbirds don't noseover any more often than most other models. All of them require the main gear be far enough forward to handle good. So a semi-scale warbird or FourStar or whatever is going to noseover if the gear isn't far enough forward.

I put retracts in my P40. The wheels are located very slightly aft of where they'd be if I'd plugged the included fixed gear into the airplane. It does want to tip over at the grass field, but all it takes is holding some UP while taxiing out to the runway. Soon as I start the throttle forward, I ease out of the elevator. It takes a bit of faith to watch the tail come up with takeoff speed, but my P40 does a very pretty take off. As it gains speed the tail comes up (and I close my eyes) and it runs on the main wheels as I continue to push the throttle up and about 2/3 throttle I ease in some UP and she's headed for the sky. It takes a very little rudder the whole time.

If your takeoffs are the SLAM AND PRAY type, where you get the airplane lined up and try to get it over with as fast as possible by FIREWALLING THE SUCKER, you're causing most of the problems. Sudden acceleration is where a lot of the left turn comes from. It also torques the left wing down. That pushes the left wheel into the runway harder. And lightens the right wheel. Now you got the engine turning the airplane left and the left wheel trying to pivot the airplane left. And less drag on the right wheel. Need lots of rudder to deal with that? Sure do.

Plan to use the runway to gain speed and move the throttle sensibly and a lot of the rudder you used to need won't be needed. And the airplane won't suddenly decide to trip.
An excellent description of how to take of a tail dragger. Also of course on landing with a warbird or tail dragger to prevent noseovers the skill is to know when to apply up elevator once the plane is down so that you will hold the tail down but not lift off again.

It must also be noted however that how rough your landing strip is is a big factor in noseovers

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

darock its funny not this year (but last ) I went to warbirds over Deleware . I watched some fantastic planes take off on a perfact runway . After about an hour the MC finally has to move the crowd away from the far left part of the safe area at the end of the runway .Why ?
Because so many warbirds pilots were gunning and running on take off and as a result there planes was veering hard left on take off .

Dont get me wrong this was about 30% of the pilots , the other 70% made the planes look so real in there take offs & approach .Your description was dead on but I want to add one thing that I made an error on as I was learning to fly warbirds .
"throttle management " not as far as having a delecate touch but making sure your engine can idle like a baby from slow to high without any jumps ect . I know to the more experienced pilot its so simple but to the newbee its often neglected .
I was one that was always happy with top speed in my engine but did not care about reliable low speed (so critical to warbirds ) . A great reliable low idle makes taking off more masterful .Slow to high speed is so much easier to control if the engine is properly set .
Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 AM
p51delta

Yes I guess that describes my warbird takeoffs. Gun and Run!!! I normally hold the tail with my hand, get the engine up to top RPM, release tail, and try to get the baby away from the ground ASAP. I love Touch and Goes with all my other planes but not with a warbird because I don't want a noseover. When it's up in the air it stays there until it's time to land. LDM is right about having the engined tuned properly. It's important. I still can't get my OS .46 running properly and I've had it a year now. THE PROBLEM WITH my OS 46 is the transition from low to high. No matter how many times I adjust the low speed needle it still stutters a little during transition from low to high speed.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:19 AM
p51delta

Well I finally finished my p-40 and maidened it yesterday. It was cold and windy but I didn't care after all these weeks of building I just wanted to get the bird in the air. It flys!!! The Take-offs were not too bad but not the best. I tried to ease the throttle up slowly instead of doing a Gun -n- Run Take-off (like I always did with my P-51)and it worked. I flew 4 times and everything was fine until the last few minutes, then I realized that the roll rate wasn't very good. After landing I found out that one of the aileron servo arm had broken and that I was only operating with the left aileron. All in all a good day. Of course it's always a good day when you go home with your plane in one piece.
Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 AM
da Rock

Good deal.

About that engine..... The other day, a friend discovered his "throttle up" problem was caused by his linkage. Turns out it had developed a bind and was simply hanging up a bit and then letting go. As for stumbling that's caused by the lowspeed needle, I've found that the pinch test is one of the best diagnostic tools. Next is the test where you simply turn the nose up and listen to what happens.

She does look good in the air, doesn't she.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.