Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Servos for my TF Giant Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Servos for my TF Giant Corsair

Old 12-20-2002, 02:27 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for my TF Giant Corsair

I've reached the point at which I am installing the servos in my TF Giant Corsair and found out that the Hitec 700BB 1/4 scalers I was going to use for the ailerons don't fit! I've got about a hundred servos around here, but of course no matching sets, right torque etc. What I do have plenty of are a bunch of Airtronics 94102's and I am wondering if these standard servos are all right for the ailerons only. I can probably doctor up the servo tray in the fuse to accomodate the Hitec 700's and I've got some RCD Apollo high torques that I can use for the flaps. I've got all old airtronics connectors here and hope that I don't have to go out and buy all new servos to fit the thing. I am powering with a G62, so I will need the strong stuff on the heavier loaded surfaces. What about the ailerons?? Is there that much load there that I would need the high torques here as well??
Old 12-21-2002, 12:43 AM
canman

wulf190

I don't have the TF F4U, but I do have a Ziroli. I wouldn't go with anything less than 70oz of torque. You do have an advantage on warbirds in that very little actual deflection is necessary. This will allow you to use a shorter arm on the servo and a longer hole on the control surface horn (improve your mechanical advantage).

I broke down and purchased the 106 oz hitec digital for my bird - they are the size of a standard servo, but have high torque and better holding power.

Dave
Old 12-21-2002, 01:43 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks Dave, thinking the same thing myself, I re-fitted some new hatch covers to the wing that would better accomodate the larger servos as I would feel way more secure with the power of these big boys in there. There is a servo tray mounted in the fuse that will require some refitting as well and a couple of notches in the flap servo mounting rails should allow me to fit a couple of airtronics 161's in there (100+ ozs). Seems like I'll be able to get it to work all right, but wow, guess, Top Flite wants you to use the expensive high power standard size jobs that drop right in. One problem is that the pushrod sleeves are all ready glued into the prefitted guide behind the tray and I hope that the slightly higher posts on the larger servos will work all right without having to rip this out as well. I might still get some Hitec 605's to drop in there if they would be strong enough.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:30 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Hitec 605BBs are great for big warbirds. I have them in a Ziroli 92" P47 and a 100" Chipmunk for the ailerons and flaps (one for each). They are the same size as standard servos but more torque and smoothness. I would still use a hefty 1/4 scale servo for the elevator, though.

Jim