Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Retract spool valve help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Retract spool valve help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 AM
WGRoper
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract spool valve help

I recently acquired a Midwest Texan that was complete but never flown. I'm getting her ready to fly and have ran into a small problem. The retract spool valve is leaking and I'd like to rebuild it, but I haven't been able to identify the manufacturer. It's nothing like the current Robart or Century Jet valves that I've seen on Tower's site. It has four output ports, one input, and adjustment screws for each ouput. The case is kinda flat, appears to be made of black plastic or nylon. Can anyone suggest a manufacturer? I'll try to post a pic of it soon.

Thanks!
Greg
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 PM
DGM

Default RE: Retract spool valve help

I have a set of Innovative Model Products FW190 D9 retracts that have a black plastic control valve. It has a swing arm that sticks out the side that controls airflow and the airlines connect to a white nylon fixture that is mounted on top of the unit, but no individual flow rate control screws.
Other than Innovative I do not know who else made plastic retract control valves.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Checkmate

Greg,

I think Century Jet's "original" (old style) valves were like that. Large screw fitting to adjust speed, black "plastic" construction.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
WGRoper

You are correct. I contacted Century Jet and they confirmed it. They're offering me an upgrade to the new aluminum block type vavle with independent speed adjustments for up/down. I just need to make sure it'll work in my application without much duress. Although, I don' t think I really have much choice in the matter. It'd suck to have to make a belly landing 'cus the gear won't drop.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the Robart Adjustable valve. Not much better than the CJM valve, but a lot cheaper and less hassle to get. Order from CJM and you may never see anything.
Tower and several other discounters handle the Robart valve. I think I saw one in the RCU Market for $20 but I am not positive.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Timmahh
Banned

i have a robart adjustable on my P47 im building with RohmAirs. works a charm and i can get the movement so slow its almost unnoticable. but then again i can probably get the wheels to come out the top of my wings if i open it up too...paid 35 at my lhs.
Timmahh
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
WGRoper

Yep, unregulated retracts can be pretty exciting, huh?

I like the fact the the CJM unit has four adjustment screws, two for each cylinder for up and down action. The robart allows control on left and right gear independently, which may be sufficient for my application. And I know I can add wheel collars to the lines to change the speed if necessary.