Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 07:08 PM
dhusted856

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

I've go about 10 years, the hellcat flies like a good sport plane. If you have flow any kind of tail dragger before with success, you should be fine. It behaves very well, Just make sure it's balanced per the instructions, I like to stand directly behind my new planes when taking off on a maiden. It seems to help with orientation and ground control. After i am comfortable with how it takes off, I stand to the side.. You should be fine...
Old 08-05-2006, 11:12 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have about 25 years, with last 15 flying warbirds (I don't know whay I waited so long).

My biggest concern for a relative 'newbie' would be the landings. Altho it can be landed slow, I think it needs to be gentle also. That stock landing gear flexes a lot, especially if the grass is to tall/ thick. That can result in it nosing over after it touches down.
I can't say for sure tho, because mine doesn't have the stock gear. I'm speaking from my experiences with the Hangar 9 Corsairs. I would suggest that you practice landings with a sport plane for awhile: focus on making the touch downs slow and gentle (keep it in the air as long as possible) when you are confident that you can perform this type of landing with reasonable consistency, you should be ready for the Hellcat. There are no bad traits that I have found in it. Like the other guy said: it flies very much like a sport plane. Just take a little more room for turns, and good luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:27 AM

has anyone configured their radio for "airbrakes" or the like? What is that, a little up ailerons and a little down elevator?
Old 08-06-2006, 12:59 PM
BQuartucy

Airbrakes are small flaps on the top of the wing that are used to destroy lift. They are typically used on gliders for speed control. If you want to do so you can couple the two ailerons with the flaps, and voila, flaperons.One aileron is on channel 1 and the other on channel 6. Your book should tell you what buttons to push to make things work. IMHO I would not use flaperons on a warbird, things happen to fast .
Old 08-06-2006, 04:47 PM

what I was thinking of was the airbrake feature on my 9c. when activated, it either raises or lowers both ailerons and lowers or raises the elevator (to compensate for the ailerons). A bad idea?? Seems like it would reduce airspeed...
Old 08-06-2006, 06:57 PM
CorsairJock

If case you are needing a second opinion: I agree with BQuartucy: not a good idea. It will not lower stall speed, in fact: it would likely increase it. It WOULD increase sink rate, which could come in handy but is only for experienced flyers. All that, assuming you mean raising the ailerons.

Lowering them is DEFINATELY a bad idea. Altho it may reduce stall speed, it will greatly increase the chances of an ugly tip stall.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (45)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a chance to fly one today.....and I must say that it is an absolute delight to fly. This one was stock, right out of the box with a saito 125 and 16-6 prop. It does nearly anything you want at 1/2 throttle...and nearly takes off and lands itself. Yes....I am a Team JR member and some of you may think I am trying to sell product. But if you have an interest in this type airplane, I suggest you fly one for yourself and see. I was very impressed!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:48 PM
BQuartucy

Question?
1) Those of you using a Saito 100, how many of the areas between the cylinders did you remove? 2,3,4 or all 9?
2) Also for an exit area, did you remove more of the cowl than necessary for the muffler to poke out of the cowl?
3) What are youe opinions on glassing the areas inside of the cowl near the rocker covers and muffler?
Thanks for all your answers.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:15 PM

wow, thanks for the insight on the whole airbrake thing. It makes a lot of sense now. Helps me to understand why my landings with my pulse 40xt have been bouncy lately (since I started trying it with "airbrakes"). I guess I'll just go and fly it!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:55 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, a baby zenoah engine on it.... I might need one now!
Old 08-08-2006, 07:47 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Strange how this thread does'nt show up at the front of the ARF section of RCU ? Has any one tried to install a more accurate tail wheel set-up ?. Where to find a spinner for this plane ? Thanks, MM
Old 08-08-2006, 07:59 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: MormonMike
Strange how this thread does'nt show up at the front of the ARF section of RCU ? Has any one tried to install a more accurate tail wheel set-up ?. Where to find a spinner for this plane ? Thanks, MM
This is the only forum I am interested in. Some of us consider it a warbird 1st, ARF 2nd. If enough of us feel the same way, this Hellcat will get more attention in this forum than the others.
Here is website for TruTurn. If you can't find the one you want at LHS or where ever you get your stuff from, you can buy directly from TruTurn:
http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...inc=1a&maxp=30
TruTurn has the best selection/ widest variety of looks and (shaft) sizes. I however settled on a Higleys for mine.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 'Hellcats' handling characteristics in this scale, weight and power seem like a similar 1/7 120 4/C war bird I'm currently flying,which exhibits similar flight characteristics that add up to a FUN to fly Warbird
Old 08-08-2006, 04:23 PM
MormonMike

Corsair, Thanks for the tip on the spinner. I too have a Harry Higley spinner but it looks a little too short. I don't have the "brains" yet to know how to post photos but in regards to a more accurate tail wheel assembly, I went ahead and installed my own. Not too shabby either. A carbon fiber rod hooked to the pull-pull rudder servo goes to where a tail wheel would normally be at [ like on a real F-6F] . And it's removable for servicing too. I also changed the Ultracote to the correct color on the horizontal tail surfaces, added scale .50 cal brass tubes where the wing guns go. Any idea where to find a scale [ or as close as possible ] belly tank ? I hope I'm not irritating you guys doping-up my Hellcat like this, but this has always been my favorite warbird RC plane. Finally able to get one. Seeya, MM
Old 08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
BQuartucy

MM
Check page 13 post 317 for a source for the drop tank. As for the retractable tailwheel, on my F6F, I used the following.
a Robart retractable tail wheel assembly actuated by a F/G rod with a ball joint at the servo end and a sullivan clevis on the a 2/56 threaded rod at the retract unit end. The retract unit was mounted to a piece of 1/8 plywood, which in turn was fastened to cross braces fastened to the main stringers in the fuselage. The servo was installed on channel 7 and coupled to channel 5, with channel 5 as the master. The purpose was to be able to set the limits for channel 5,and 7 independly. The tailwheel was steered with a pull-pull cable on a double servo arm (you might have to cross the cables),and using the same servo, install a ball link on the underside of the arm outboard of the existing tailwheel pull-pull cables, for the existing rudder push pull rod. I also added a scale like door that is closed by the tailwheel as it retracts. For the wheel itself I used a 1 1/2 inch Kleet wheel cut down to 1 1/4 inch since the tail wheels on most carrier aircraft are solid. If you want any further clarification PM me and I will see if I can help.
Bob Q
Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
MormonMike

BQ, nah, look's like I've already screwed up. Your right, It's just now sinking in. If I'm going to spruce this plane up, why did'nt it dawn on me to install a Robart tail wheel retract. [:@] Sounds like your set-up is quite complex so I'll pass for now. If I crash this one , I certainly will do it to the next one. Thanks, MM
Old 08-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Dakatt

Has anyone had any problems using a Hitec low pro retract servo? Just bench tested mine and it seemed to be staining to gear up. Down is no problem. The battery is fresh and by hand the rods move fine with no sencable sticking or binding. Not enough torque? The 75bb has 92oz. What is the majority using here.
Also, on what side did everyone put 1- on off switch 2- Remote igniter 3- remote fuel valve?

Thanks
Dakat
Old 08-09-2006, 07:28 AM
MormonMike

Dak, consider a JR 791, well over 250 inch ounces, $ 60 bucks, no problem lifting the gear. MM
Old 08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I may have missed it, but how much weight did you guys end up using under the hood with the Saito 100. I think my CG is close, and I had to add about 8 ounces of lead under the cowl, at the firewall, to balance it out.
TOmmy
Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
CorsairJock

Before I installed my battery pack on my Saito .91 powered one, mine balanced right on the money (at recommended CG point) with NO weight added. Thus, I mounted the battery packright over the CG. All up weight (no fuel) is 8 lbs, 4.6 oz. Therfore, curious as to why nose weight is needed for the even heavier Saito 1.00?

I used 2 HiTec 77s on mine (1 mounted behind each retract unit). No strain on them at all. Altho 2 are more expensive and heavier than one, some weight was eliminated when I removed the bellcranks and long linkages. Very smooth operation.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:50 AM
DocYates

I was surprised as well. The only thing I did to mine was a little airbrushing of the panel lines and around the tail. I will fly it like this and see if I need to remove some of the weight.
Tommy
Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
60buick

I have gotten a couple of Emails from people wanting to know more about #13 from Vf-16 sinice this is the plane the H9 model is replicating. Vf-16 was stationed on the USS Lexington and was called the "Pistol Packin Airdales". They had 32 Hellcats. Number #13 was piloted by Lt. Whiteway. Whiteway was under the command of Riley Cecil Cannon who was plane captain for #12 "Flyable Dud", #13 "lucky 13" and hellcat #15. On April 1st 1944 after attacking Woleai #13 was involved in an accident. #13 was on deck when another Hellcat came in to high and hit another plane that was on deck. It pushed that plane into the #1 elevator on top of #12 killing Ensign Spindler. #12 was pushed overboard due to the damage. Spindlers funeral was the next day. #13 was only slightly damaged due to the quick thinking of Whiteway who could have been killed himself. In June of that year #13 fought in the famous Turkey Shoot with Alex Vracci (#19 and #32) who was one of the wars highest scoring aces. I am still looking for more info on "Lucky 13".
Old 08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Dakatt

I used zip ties to secure my servo tray to the plane. I wonder if anyone else has used this approach before. I am thinking just for ease of access if needed. My only concern is weight but if you subtract the epoxy, 4 zips should not weigh much more.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Hellcat716

With the Saito 100 you should not have to add any weight. Mine balanced perfect with the battery put over the trailing edge of the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96088.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	504813  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 AM
DocYates

Flew mine yesterday, and got two flights before dark. Used the 1.00 as well. Ended up with about 7 ounces of weight in the nose at the firewall. Took off at half throttle in 50 feet, and only needed a couple clicks of aileron trim. It was hands off by the backside of the pattern. A beautiful flying airplane. Looks very nice in the air. Don't know why mine needed the little extra weight, but you cannot even tell it. I am very happy with this plane, look forward to enjoying it even more.
Tommy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.