Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

Old 07-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: H9-F6F Hellcat 60 ARF

da Rock, congrats on the maiden!! I'm sure it has been mentioned before by others, but I too have always thought that Hanger 9's CG recommendations are always too nose heavy. I understand why they probably do this- much better overall customer satisfaction and more successful maidens than a CG recommendation that is more aft. Heck, some ARF manufacturers could take a lesson from this practice! However, all of my H9 birds balance aft of the recommended range... and fly great! They don't need much elevator travel, they still track like an arrow, and mainly they slow down and land GREAT, which is easy on the retracts. And like you notice with your Hellcat, the nose overs seem to go away. To me it just seems that they are less likely to stall from too much "yanky on the elevator", yet still have a very maneuverable feel. Now, I'm not saying everyone should run out and do this, but it has worked for me after several careful adjustments & reducing the elev travel. It has made flying/landing at tight strips much easier. Just my own experience...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Flyboyxc
My Feedback: (2)

Well as I said, I maidened the new Hellcat this evening and she got off the ground with ease, beautiful takeoff as I had very little back pressure on the elevator when she came off nice and quick.  unfortunately this only lasted about 5 seconds because when I went to put in left aileron to bank and do the first round of the field with the new plane, she went right and began to descend.  As I put in more and more left to counter she just got deeper into the right roll and I just put in full up elevator to see if she would half loop out to her upright position again but she didn't make it and went in full throttle at about75 degrees wings level.  I was shocked, upset, and just trying to understand what just happened... Upon arrival to the crash site there was no real significant damage to the wing, but the firewall had been torn out of the bottom, cowl desinigrated, and the first two formers behind the firewall had the bottom halfs missing, as well as some damage to some of the front sheeting and canopy floor.

Cause of crash = F***ing stupid.... ailerons were reversed. I checked over everything except what?.. yup the aileron direction.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 AM
mrsand

Sorry to read about your crash...a good pre-flight range check can stop those type of problems....how were the airlerons connected to the receiver?

mrsand
Old 07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Wow, sorry to hear that, Flyboy. It is a sickening feeling. I wish you and the airplane a speedy recovery.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dang! Ive had that happen. Sorry to hear it happened to You too. I assure you ,I never missed that agian over the years. You wont either. Sux how we learn the hard way...
Hope ya get her in the air fast!
d
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Flyboyxc

mrsand, the aileron servos were connected to the receiver via a y-harness after I had zeroed all the sub trim out manually by the clevis.. never had a problem with them functionally. just a very dumb and costly mistake because I was excited to get her up before it got too dark.

Thanks everyone for the sympathy and support, I am going to take a shot at rebuild but I've never really built anything except arf planes.  I wish I had kept the first two bottom halves of the formers that fell off so i could make a pattern, but I didn't.  Anyone wanna try to give me some help, or maybe take a few shots of the forward fuse from inside.... that would be very helpful since I didn't have the plane long enough to really get acquainted.

Anyone know what ply thickness I should used for the Firewall?  Maybe what thickness for the formers that are in the front ( one is where the two wing dials go in ) and the one right there with the firewall I believe?... 
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
hellcat 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought some of you might like to see how the retracts rotate on the full scale Hellcat and P-40. Here are a couple of pictures. They are not the best quality but do show the gears that rotate the strut. Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99066.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1473827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95550.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1473828  
Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Read about Flyboy's experience. It is an expensive lesson, but one just about everyone remembers. A long time ago I started handing my transmitter to a friend and asked him to check my controls, and then stepped away. This routine has saved more than one plane. A different set of eyes can see what we see with our memory.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
mrsand

Two sets of eye's are better than one.......I've only been in this hobby for about two years....but many times I have either assisted someone or visa/versa and a potential malfunction was found and corrected....I have found that sometimes my excitment to take off has caused me to overlook things that are obvious to others....now [&:]if I can just get my stock retracts tuned right again
Old 07-27-2010, 11:11 AM
warbird kev

ORIGINAL: Flyboyxc

Well as I said, I maidened the new Hellcat this evening and she got off the ground with ease, beautiful takeoff as I had very little back pressure on the elevator when she came off nice and quick. unfortunately this only lasted about 5 seconds because when I went to put in left aileron to bank and do the first round of the field with the new plane, she went right and began to descend. As I put in more and more left to counter she just got deeper into the right roll and I just put in full up elevator to see if she would half loop out to her upright position again but she didn't make it and went in full throttle at about75 degrees wings level. I was shocked, upset, and just trying to understand what just happened... Upon arrival to the crash site there was no real significant damage to the wing, but the firewall had been torn out of the bottom, cowl desinigrated, and the first two formers behind the firewall had the bottom halfs missing, as well as some damage to some of the front sheeting and canopy floor.

Cause of crash = F***ing stupid.... ailerons were reversed. I checked over everything except what?.. yup the aileron direction.
Flyboyxc, sorry to hear about your crash, now get that repaired and get it back in the air
Old 07-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Flyboyxc

Warbird Kev,  thanks man, I am currently working on the rebuild bit by bit.  My biggest problem is a lack of tool to cut new formers with.  My best cutting tool at the moment is a cutoff dremel wheel which I don't think will work out very well, or atleast there are tools that would do the job much nicer and faster.  I probably will go out and buy a band saw maybe?...  I just need to put the wing dowel former back in, firewall, streamers, and sheeting then covering.  New Cowl and mount it all back up.  I'll post pics soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Flyboyxc

As I said here are some pictures of the build sort of shaping up. I did not take pictures before I put the wing bolt mounting plate back into the aft saddle or put the servo tray and attached formers in. This is still what has to be done. I'll take pics as I progress. Here are a few which include the front formers including the firewall template and a bit of cosmetic damage of the wing at the belly pan.

Name:	rp43082.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1474470   Click image for larger version

Name:	rm38719.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1474471   Click image for larger version

Name:	ns44919.jpg
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1474472   Click image for larger version

Name:	fz74832.jpg
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1474473   Click image for larger version

Name:	oz29307.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	1474474   Click image for larger version

Name:	gx29997.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1474475  
Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Flyboyxc

I put the original leading edges wing dowel holder former back into the fuse. It was only broken into 2 pieces and a little stick basically which is easily fixed with another small piece fitted for the tank which will come tomorrow when I feel up to using the saw. Here is the former that I just used medium CA on, I will reinforce it tomorrow using some 1/8th ply and epoxy just around the sides where it meets the wing saddle and key formers like with some triangle stock possibly.

Name:	Vt58265.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	1474479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61171.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1474480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20393.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1474481  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Lifer

Flyboy,

It is likely that the structure will be much stronger following your rebuild. Good glue joints, etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

look at that orange super ringmaster ! I built one in 79 and it too was orange and white. Ran an os 40 on it, and boy it hauled butt. LOL good luck with yer rebuild!
d
Old 07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
warbird kev

Warbird Kev, thanks man, I am currently working on the rebuild bit by bit. My biggest problem is a lack of tool to cut new formers with. My best cutting tool at the moment is a cutoff dremel wheel which I don't think will work out very well, or atleast there are tools that would do the job much nicer and faster. I probably will go out and buy a band saw maybe?... I just need to put the wing dowel former back in, firewall, streamers, and sheeting then covering. New Cowl and mount it all back up. I'll post pics soon.
Yeah if you go to Home Depot they have a nice little Ryobi 9in'' band saw model # BS902 thats perfect for little jobs like that, its 119.00 beans, plus your dremel will put the finishing touches on the rest, well hope you get her back in the air soon bro good luck...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 AM
Flyboyxc

Hey Guys!! The rebuild is going pretty well I believe, I just fitted the new formers and firewall that I cut out last night.  I then cut for the stringers and just fitted it all together, not really anything glued and epoxied down yet just sort of fitted and placed for me to stare at, its looking WHOLE again!!!  I really hope to have my plane back and gone through the kinks by a warbird event in High Point, NC coming up in about 2 and a half weeks.  The rebuild isn't my greatest concern right now, my greatest concern is getting a cowl by then.. horizon hobby is on backorder till september so no hope there and I can't find one anywhere.  I am getting pretty desperate trying to find one.  If you know ANYONE who has one, or if you can help me find one or you see one at a shop or swap meet PLEASE BUY IT, and I will be paying you for it and the shipping.. I really do need one.

Pics of the progress soon! Thanks guys 
Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 AM
warbird kev

Hey Guys!! The rebuild is going pretty well I believe, I just fitted the new formers and firewall that I cut out last night. I then cut for the stringers and just fitted it all together, not really anything glued and epoxied down yet just sort of fitted and placed for me to stare at, its looking WHOLE again!!! I really hope to have my plane back and gone through the kinks by a warbird event in High Point, NC coming up in about 2 and a half weeks. The rebuild isn't my greatest concern right now, my greatest concern is getting a cowl by then.. horizon hobby is on backorder till september so no hope there and I can't find one anywhere. I am getting pretty desperate trying to find one. If you know ANYONE who has one, or if you can help me find one or you see one at a shop or swap meet PLEASE BUY IT, and I will be paying you for it and the shipping.. I really do need one.

Pics of the progress soon! Thanks guys
Bob Holman's cowl may fit you can try him out, and its fiber glass also he makes a 60 size short kit hellcat....Bob holman plans.com, look under Brian Taylors plans hope this helps..
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Lifer

The old cowl could probably be repaired if you saved all the pieces.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:00 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just asked in a pm if I had to cut the lower spar to get my Lados installed and if I reinforced after that.

Yup, to install the LADOs you have to remove about an inch of the lower spar.

So I made a plywood and carbonfiber sandwich and cut out two U pieces. The Us wound up more than a half inch thick on purpose. They were epoxied with the tops of the U connecting the ends of the spars. The lower part of the U epoxies to the upper wing spar and the sides of the U fit tightly between the two ribs in there. Those suckers are glued to everything except the pilot's boots. Bullet proof? might be, but really should bring back the spar strength that was sacrificed. I'll take a picture next time I got the gear down.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:29 PM
hellcat 1

I had a Holman Hellcat and the Hanger 9 at the same time. The Hanger 9 fuse is a bit bigger. The Homan cowl is too small. It will fit a CMP Hellcat though. The Hanger 9 wing is about the same as the Holman. And the CMP wing has more span and is not as close to scale. I don't think Holman has any more cowls since he got them from Brian Taylor and Brian had to give up making them because of his eyesight. Unless someone else has started making them, I doubt if you can get a repalcement for a Holman. Fiber Glass Masters might have one. Sam
Old 07-30-2010, 11:18 AM
warbird kev

ORIGINAL: hellcat 1

I had a Holman Hellcat and the Hanger 9 at the same time. The Hanger 9 fuse is a bit bigger. The Homan cowl is too small. It will fit a CMP Hellcat though. The Hanger 9 wing is about the same as the Holman. And the CMP wing has more span and is not as close to scale. I don't think Holman has any more cowls since he got them from Brian Taylor and Brian had to give up making them because of his eyesight. Unless someone else has started making them, I doubt if you can get a repalcement for a Holman. Fiber Glass Masters might have one. Sam
Kewl hellcat1, thats good info to know good lookin out..
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
warbird kev

Guys im looking for some decals to go on my hellcat, im really looking for Japanese rising sun flag so i can stick them on the side of my bird to make it look really authentic, my LHS doesnt carry these maybe theres a web site out there somewhere, all help is appreciated...
Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 AM
hellcat 1

Kev, Try this site. You might get a hobby shop to order them for you or order them direct from Major. I have them on my Hellcat and they are staying on ok.

http://www.industrialetching.com/pdf/PAGE-22.pdf
Old 07-31-2010, 11:25 AM
warbird kev

ORIGINAL: hellcat 1

Kev, Try this site. You might get a hobby shop to order them for you or order them direct from Major. I have them on my Hellcat and they are staying on ok.

http://www.industrialetching.com/pdf/PAGE-22.pdf
Thanks Hellcat 1 i'll look into that, i hear caligraphics is another to check out, hey can you post a pic of your bird so i can check out your decals if possible, thanks again for the info bro....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.