Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ME 163 leading edge slats

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ME 163 leading edge slats

Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ME 163 leading edge slats

I got what looks like a Joes 105in ME 163 I'm going to convert it to turbine power and fiberglass the foam wings. I want to put in the leading edge slats

question on what do they do?

anyone got close up pictures?

my Jerry Bates Dauntless had them also would the look the same?

thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2197358   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2197359   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	2197360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0210.PNG
Views:	66
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2197362  
Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

On the 163 they are called Slots because they are stationary. If they move then they are slats or leading edge flaps. They improve slow speed stalling capabilities and in the full scale plane allowed the pilot to keep from stalling and allowed the plane to slip and turn with rudder control. At high speed the air flow over the slot didn't matter as the air pressure basically fills the void allowing the slot to sort of disappear, no real effect. As the plane slows the slot becomes more effective in improving slower speed handling qualities.
On the model a scale size slot will be somewhat effective but since air stays the same scale the slot would have to be larger than you like in order to provide more benefit.

If if you kept a light wing loading on this turbine version you could leave the slots out and it will be fine. If you add more weight by building them in then your working against yourself for no real gain. You can imply they are there with a surface detail groove compromise.

There great are videos of some guys in EU flying the heck out of these and flying together with smoke on. Great show.

Good luck and post videos or pics. I'm a fan of this plane and project.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:52 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
On the 163 they are called Slots because they are stationary. If they move then they are slats or leading edge flaps. They improve slow speed stalling capabilities and in the full scale plane allowed the pilot to keep from stalling and allowed the plane to slip and turn with rudder control. At high speed the air flow over the slot didn't matter as the air pressure basically fills the void allowing the slot to sort of disappear, no real effect. As the plane slows the slot becomes more effective in improving slower speed handling qualities.
On the model a scale size slot will be somewhat effective but since air stays the same scale the slot would have to be larger than you like in order to provide more benefit.

If if you kept a light wing loading on this turbine version you could leave the slots out and it will be fine. If you add more weight by building them in then your working against yourself for no real gain. You can imply they are there with a surface detail groove compromise.

There great are videos of some guys in EU flying the heck out of these and flying together with smoke on. Great show.

Good luck and post videos or pics. I'm a fan of this plane and project.
Thanks,

So Much

So the Guys who sold it to me said the inside controls were used as flaps during landing, can a tail less wing really have flaps? or is it more of a Crow set up?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:52 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Wings are a very particular area of expertise. I don't have a lot of experience with them so I won't advise you to do much more than I already have.
I suppose you could incrementally ad flap or crow and see what it likes or doesn't like. On a switch you could toggle between them and get a feel then bail from it if it's not acting right for you. That's how I would approach it if I didn't have any specific info or recommended set ups.

I think adding traditional flap would pitch the nose down. Mixing crow would induce drag and the plane will sink faster. Until you try it you won't really know.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Its more of a crow feature on wings. As the flaps are deployed the airplane pitches down which requires increases back pressure and up elevator. So it becomes a crow feature.

Each design being different, the crow feature on the HO229 worked well... But it had a tendency of running out of up elevator at low speeds during landing.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 AM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 163 has built in 'letterbox' slots, which work as the AOA increases. this is allied with considerable washout on the original. The lower surface flaps are trimmed with the inner 'elevators' on the wing trailing edge. elevator and aileron functions are combined in the outer elevons. The full size set up obviously worked well, I guess a similar arrangement would just as well in model sizes.
Evan.