Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

YT KMP Hawker Typhoon

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

YT KMP Hawker Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
alanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YT KMP Hawker Typhoon

strange how the full sizeuse wire and pulleys, yet the models are given pushrods, all i have done with my YT/ESMbuilds, is de-burr the holes in the top and bottom of the horn, polish the edges with a rotary tool, i must admit, i have used heavier gauge wire, but essentially, i have used the system, and its flawless, I have also used pull pull (over here, called closed loop)on other models,with great success,
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yea, but I have broken too many wires on my bi-planes because of fatigue in the metal eyelets.....just dont trust them on an elevator :-)
I have yet to break a closed loop rudder though, but I would not be too concerned about that, compared to an elevator.

The 737`s at work also have wires and pullyes to the flight controls, but they are attached a little different than than the ESM manual suggests
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM
alanc

ive found some of the edges of the holes in the bellcranks to be very sharp, ive made a tool at work to round off the edges, ithinkits most important to make some attemptto do this, its easy enough with a rotary burr, i dontuse the supplied wire, although i would use it on other applications
Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
wollins

My final weight for this porker came in at 19.5lbs! Will it fly?

Colin
Old 08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wollins
My final weight for this porker came in at 19.5lbs! Will it fly?
Apparently it flies pretty well at that weight. I've seen very few that were any lighter and several that were heavier yet!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
wollins

Heavier than 19.5lbs and still flies well????? Wow, this plane is only 857 sq inches ... you would think it would fly like a brick at these weights!
Old 08-13-2013, 06:57 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wollins
Heavier than 19.5lbs and still flies well????? Wow, this plane is only 857 sq inches ... you would think it would fly like a brick at these weights!
That works out to about 52 oz. per square foot which is not what I would consider crazy heavy for a warbird this size. I had a 68 inch span Sea Fury which had a loading of 49 oz. per square foot and was a very good flying model. It did have to be respected around the stall and was not a great deal of fun to dead stick but that's prototypical. Of course everybody has their own ideas about what "flies well" so your opinion may differ. Volumetric wing loading is probably a better indicator of flight performance and the very thick wing section of the Tiffie is going to help out a great deal in that respect. As I recall one of the magazine reviewers of this airplane ended up at something like 21 pounds RTF.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM
wollins

Well, I might finally get a chance to fly it this weekend. Wondering about flight characteristics with use of flaps. Is there a lot of pitch change when flaps are deployed? (since she's kinda short coupled) I'd like to mix in some down elevator with flaps and was just wondering what would be a good starting point. Assuming there is pitch change of course.

Can anyone who has done this tell me what throw they've set their elevators at to compensate for the pitch change?

Thanks!

Colin
Old 08-22-2013, 05:43 AM
wollins

Nobody uses flaps on this bird? C/mon guys ... help a brother out ... I maiden tomorrow!

Colin
Old 09-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Drew1959

I finally finished building my Hawker Typhoon and first flight was yesterday. I was concerned because I had to add 3 pound 7 ounces in the nose. I have a great solution for adding the weight but I will post that later if anyone is interested. Tune first flight was solid! Everything worked perfectly! We took off flew for approximately 5 minutes and landed. I flew with no flaps and gear was down the whole time, but she took off quickly and slowed down quickly on landing, evan with no Flaps. I will work those issues out in future flights. I had a few things that needed to be addressed after the first flight. I had some cowling screws come loose but not a big deal. The biggest issue was the stock tail wheel. There is a lot of weight on the tail when taking off and landing, and my tail wheel broke loose. It caused the plane to drift upon landing. I replaced the Allen head set screw and it seems tomb working fine now but I will keep an eye on it. The plane overall performed as advertised. I must tell you to be prepared to make modifications to your build. This is an ARF in name only. If anyone is interested I will explain in future posts, just let me know. I will keep flying her and see if anything else pops up!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Drew1959

I would not put any mix to the flaps yet. Take her off deploy the flaps and see what she does, then put some down elevator in based on that. One important note on flaps, you can adjust the speed that your flaps deploy so I would slow that speed way down, that way you won't get too much movement too quickly.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
rcgeorge29
My Feedback: (15)

Hey Drew, what did you use for nose weight? I'm almost done mine, just have to install gear and lines, hook up fuel tank and a couple other small things. A guy on RCG had a custom made DLE30 prop drill guide for sale a couple of weeks ago, it was twice as deep as the ones you see all the time, but was made from steel! So I figured I'll use longer prop bolts, and install that to the front of the hub! should get me a pound of weight way out front! I did lots of beefing up around the main gear as well.