Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Just to let everyone know

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Just to let everyone know

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:26 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just to let everyone know

I don't know if I'm the only one to do this, but I've been talking to Great Planes. I'm one of the people who are requesting that they bring back the 60 ARF Fokker Dr-1 and the 60 ARF Stuka.

I mentioned to them that if they were to bring back the Stuka that they should re-inforce the Gull part of the wing better. It seems that there aren't alot of "Close to Scale" ARF Axis planes around, and Great Planes did have a few good ones... but for some reason they stoped producing them. I guess they are continuing to make the parts for them, I guess the money is in that department.

I'm asking if anyone wants to see the one or two planes back, go to there Website and look for the the request button and put in a request. They do seem to listen.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 09-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Just to let everyone know

German warbirds from both wars are very cool, but I just don't like ARFs. I believe there's only one reason a manufacturer discontinues a kit...$$$. They're not selling enough of them to make the profit they want to make.

Dr.1
Old 09-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

I'm one of the people who are requesting that they bring back the 60 ARF Fokker Dr-1 and the 60 ARF Stuka.
KMP/YT is coming out with a composite and spray painted Stuka ARF.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

KMP/YT is coming out with a composite and spray painted Stuka ARF.

Richard L.
That's [8D]. KMP is a little on the high price side and I heard reports that the Hardware isn't all that good. I don't know, I'm just stating what I read in another forum.

German warbirds from both wars are very cool, but I just don't like ARFs. I believe there's only one reason a manufacturer discontinues a kit...$$$. They're not selling enough of them to make the profit they want to make.

Dr.1 Dr1Driver

If that was true, then why can't I find the Great Planes Fokker Dr-1 anywhere other than E-bay? It seems that they sold every Dr-1 they've made. Great Planes hasn't discontinued making the parts, It's just that they discontinued the main ARF kit.

I'm hoping I'll be able to find one in a few weeks somewhere still in the box un-opened, and in mint condition from some Hobby Shop Online. I guess I can dream... right? The Stuka, I'm hoping the next time they bring out the kit again ( If they do,) they will have the wing reinforced so I wouldn't have to do it myself. Hanger 9 makes some good ARF Planes from what I've read, but they haven't made any Axis for some reason. []

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 09-29-2006, 10:58 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

peter how does the GP dr1 fly it must be a beast to land. better put tip skids on the wings
Old 09-29-2006, 11:42 AM
bla bla

I think they stopped producing them because they were rotten, thus nobody except "the white stick and a dog brigade" bought them.
Certainly the ones I saw where grim.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:43 PM
alanc

YT international models, sold in the USA under KMP are indeed more expensive, but, then again, so is a rolls royce, [8D]
and, regarding the hardware, every company model is built using the kit hardware, it is then pushed to the limit , nothing has ever broken,
i do, as do others, differ the link to elavator linkage, but that more personal preferance
take a look at the new composite Tyhpoon & Stuka, when you get them in your stores, and tell me they are not worth the money
Alan, YT international sales, uk
Old 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Peter,,,
Us warbird lovers sometimes forget that we are just one part of the total hobby. Go to most any AMA club and count the warbirds.
Unless it's a strictly warbird ARF or kit producing company the rest gotta keep in stock what sells and s--t can what doesn't.
Buy a kit and build it the way you want it .
Old 09-30-2006, 03:21 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Peter,,,
Us warbird lovers sometimes forget that we are just one part of the total hobby. Go to most any AMA club and count the warbirds.
Unless it's a strictly warbird ARF or kit producing company the rest gotta keep in stock what sells and s--t can what doesn't.
Buy a kit and build it the way you want it .

Sturtz

True, and what you just said does make sense. I guess I'll wait until the Warbird with my name on it comes out, then I'll go at it again. I'll make sure I really investigate the kit when it comes out so I won't have any hassels with Factory Defects, or CG issues etc.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bla bla

I think they stopped producing them because they were rotten, thus nobody except "the white stick and a dog brigade" bought them.

What is "the white stick and a dog brigade"?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:36 AM
badger41

Are you talking from personal expierence on this DR 1 handling?
It has certinly not been my experence , the warbird guys by me have 4 and none of them seem to have any problems with the take-off and landings. All of these pilots are regular guys that fly well ,nothing special. One guy even stripped of the red covering and put on his own custom scheme.
Another guy is fairly new and has not had any problems with T.O. and landings.
You know that GP did somethings to make it a better handling a/c. Compared to my VK this is a no brainer and even the Ziroli can be a handful. This GP version definatly not in that class.
Tom
Old 10-01-2006, 12:19 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Yes, I definitely want one badger41. I've seen what people have done with this ARF. Everyone I've talked too stated that the GP Fokker was very vulnerable to crosswind. From what I've read, the real Fokker Dr-1 was the same way. I think I would add the Axe Handles though, I've seen people have a few rough landings with this bird and the bottom wing gets beat up after a while. The only person I ever saw cursing the GP Fokker Dr-1 was Snoopy.

If more people go to the GP Website and put in the request to bring back the 60 Fokker Dr-1, they will bring it back possibly sooner. Arizona and Sea bees planes are too high priced for my liking, even though there planes are very nice over all. I think after the Movie "Flyboys," GP should take advantage of that fair priced ARF Warbird. JMO

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Prop Nut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter, if you are interested in buying one ready to fly PM me, a buddy is selling his.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:06 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had two. One is still flying, the other I had crushed while moving across country. I took all of the red covering off and put my own on. It flies great. I would buy it again. Jeff
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Prop, check your PM. I'm buying a Hanger 9 Plug-n-Play 40 Cub as well, the Fokker Dr-1 will be a nice addition.

Thanks Prop,

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 PM
shakes268

ORIGINAL: Prop Nut

ORIGINAL: bla bla

What is "the white stick and a dog brigade"?
I think he is referring to blind people who use seeing eye dogs. The reference was completely unnecessary.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Prop Nut... Keep in touch with me and let me know what's going on. I got my wifes blessing in this... I will cover the shipping and handling.

Can some of you tell me what the ground handling and flight characteristics are with a properly balanced GP 60 Fokker Dr-1? I'm working on one for IPAC Aerofly Pro Deluxe Simulator. The Lothar Fokker Dr-1 that they have already is too easy to fly, and it won't nose over on the taxi no matter where the elevator is positioned.

Plus I couldn't get the permission to modify the model with the owners consent, even if I did give him the credit for the original model.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Thanks Prop Nut, the plane is a little damaged up, and it isn't RTF. I don't want to deal with it unless he fixes it up and puts the engine back in etc. I really was hoping it was a GP Fokker do to the availability of parts, and Arizona is quite high priced for any parts you need.

I thank You for your time Prop... keep your ears open.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 10-06-2006, 09:20 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your concern is legality, 10% changes turn it into a "new" design. If its political and you care about that, then don't do it.

Than again, what the recourse??

Steve
Old 10-07-2006, 09:37 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

If your concern is legality, 10% changes turn it into a !QUOT!new!QUOT! design. If its political and you care about that, then don't do it.

Than again, what the recourse??

Steve

I made quite a few changes, like making the plane more twitchy. Some say the GP and Arizon Dr-1 is a little Nose Heavy once it's properly balanced, and can easily flip over on landings if the Elevator isn't applied constantly. ( Basically you have to fly it all the way to a stop.)

I'm working having the plane be able to have a very good Rudder response right now and playing around with the balance. The Paint is almost done...just miner touch ups and paint adjustments are left to be done on it.

If its political and you care about that, then don't do it.
I'm not sure where you are coming from Steve.

Here is a picture of the Arizona Dr-1 I'm almost done with.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 10-07-2006, 02:40 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Ok, anyone interested in trying this bird out? I did a lot of reading on how the Arizona Dr-1's handle when ballanced properly. It doesn't taxi all that good, and you have to be careful when you do try to move it around on the ground.

Meaning, she will try to kiss the dirt. It takes off nicely at 50% power and her rudder response is quick and she almost wants to bite its own *****. The plane is twitchy, and the ailerons are touchy. I can't think of anything else unless a few of you have this plane and wish to contribute. Once I'm finished with the Arizona, the Great Planes is next... then the Great Planes Piper Cub.

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY
Old 10-07-2006, 05:38 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Paint is finished... now for the Beta Testing!

AMA District II # 56404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY